Ontario has gone to hell under NinnyBag

Momorider

1 hour ago, 1trailmaker said:

lol business plan totally laid out for you :dunno:   i would think not much thought is needed 

Sounds like a union, no thought.:lol:

Better to take a government job and invest that capital in a tax efficient return than waste your time with a franchise.

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 9:09 AM, 1trailmaker said:

not as a separate entity 

I don't think 02pointyhead knew that

Your wrong as usual Fail... how many times is it you've been dropped on your head now....

19 hours ago, revrnd said:

I wonder how many businesses in the minimum wage realm will say in the future, "This is your wage" & that's it? 

Could be quite a few that will follow the letter of the law and that's it.

We went out on the sleds for the first time this past weekend and stayed in our usual motel that we have been going to for many years. We've gotten to know the owners fairly well. Hotels and Motels all have variable room rates depending on occupancy levels time of year etc. Thanks mainly to the minimum wage increase every hotel, motel in town just raised their minimum room rate by about 25%. About 2 to 3% of the total increase was to cover increased operating expenses (inflation) the rest was due to Wynnebag.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Pt3189 said:

Last month I had 6 employees at 13 to 14 an hour . They will all be at 14 for at least a year. No more shift manager bonuses to be paid out. Surprisingly their attitude of entitlement is even more evident. Cell phones are like a plague in the workplace, finally had enough, notices handed to all employees outlining a zero tolerance for use in the building. You would have thought I had slaughtered a baby. The battle is on. First one I catch will be down the road kicking stones.

The other one the costs business significant $'s is those going outside for puff breaks. I believe it started in Japan where one company started offering extra vacation to non smokers as an incentive and help in quitting because they recognized the lost productivity for smoke breaks was adding up to a lot of cash.

17 hours ago, Pt3189 said:

Theft mostly. Either servers serving friends for free. Pouring extra shots. Boxed product leaving the walk in freezer. The best one was two cases of chicken breasts placed in a garbage bag and thrown gently on the top of the dumpster. Then return and pick them up in the middle of the night. Caught a manager grabbing a server. Had a servers boyfriend passing cocaine to a server at the bar.  

Wow... just wow... and I bet they convinced themselves they were doing nothing wrong.

16 hours ago, Pt3189 said:

It has been attempted at every restaurant I have ever owned. I used to have Subway franchises, we inventory our bread and compare it to daily sales. It must all be accounted for. Had two high school kids that would bring in a dozen or so sub buns from a grocery store in their back packs. They could turn 6 dollars worth of bread into 80dollars worth of subs every time. That one took awhile to catch.

I had one person running a business out of our office while using our systems and our time. He was providing Scandinavian Nannies. Printers recorded the number of pages per user. He was printing a couple of thousand colour fliers. Checking back on the emails and internet usage he hadn't been at it long before he was caught. He was terminated with cause, no notice or severance and fought it. He wasn't successful.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Your wrong as usual Fail... how many times is it you've been dropped on your head now....

Could be quite a few that will follow the letter of the law and that's it.

We went out on the sleds for the first time this past weekend and stayed in our usual motel that we have been going to for many years. We've gotten to know the owners fairly well. Hotels and Motels all have variable room rates depending on occupancy levels time of year etc. Thanks mainly to the minimum wage increase every hotel, motel in town just raised their minimum room rate by about 25%. About 2 to 3% of the total increase was to cover increased operating expenses (inflation) the rest was due to Wynnebag.

:lol:  

I knew you would have a good story to tell 

15 hours ago, revrnd said:

30% of Ontario's workforce is working for minimum wage. W/ manufacturing declining and the increase in retail & service jobs, what do the pointy heads expect?

Surf around the 'net & there are lots of comments about if the cost of living is so high in Ontario, why can't the gov't lower these costs? Some have even suggested that the province raise the tax bracket for low income wage earners.On this point will the wage increase result in these people more income tax?

I believe the lowest income tax rate is 20% up to 40K taxable income after deductions which all the minimum wage earners would fall under. You came up with a far better idea. How about Wynnebag reduce the taxes they pay by 25% that would be the same as giving them the raise and not impact the business owner. Let Wynnebag absorb the expense and simply cut back to offset it like she thinks business should do.

4 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

interesting numbers lol 

Average number of employees at a Tim Hortons store: 35

Average increased cost for one full-time employee: $6,968.26

seems this is a stretch having 35 employees working full time 52 weeks a year :dunno:  

calling BS

The Great White North Franchisee Association was formed in March 2017 - they need to check their numbers again and it would be nice if they responded to THE STAR for a interview 

They didn't get your memo that you're right and they're wrong Fail. Don't forget a lot of the Tims locations are staffed and open 24X7.  There is one not far from me and when I have gone in I would guess based on the number of people I see there has to be about 15 behind the counter at any one time. Morning, afternoon and night shift 7 days a week adds up fast.

the average Hortons outlet earned nearly $1.5 million (before interest and taxes) and watched profits grow from $174,280 in 2002 to more than $265,000 in 2008.

10 years later profits have increase greatly.

Worlds largest food chain isn't whining, its just a few owners grabbing headlines 

So do you think that's a good ROI.

The cost of a Tim Hortons franchise varies depending on the restaurant size and location, along with other factors. You must have $1.5million in net worth and $500,000 liquid assets in order to qualify. Financial requirements may be lower or higher depending on the transaction type. The franchise fee is currently $50,000, and it is due before the Restaurant opens for business.

On-going payments include:

• a weekly Royalty fee of 6% of gross sales for the term of the License;
  • a monthly Advertising levy of 4% of gross sales for the term of the License.

So before they pay anybody anything including themselves 10% of the gross goes to corporate. If you have $1.5M invested in your business and earn $174K that's an 11.6% ROI which is not something that's nothing outrageous. That doesn't even account for all the operational activities as part of the investment of the franchisee such as inventory etc.

Actually it's mediocre. Our investments earned more ROI than that this past year and I didn't have to lift a finger.
Fail thinks if you own a business you are independently wealthy.

Will they be cutting TIM BIT HOCKEY soon :dunno:  

150k is a stretch 

168 hours in a week - 30 employees is 1200 hours weekly = 7 staff 24hrs a day fulltime 

Sorry just not buying that,  never seen that many employees working at 3am 

Using an ESSO tims location,  even busy times 5 employees at most.  The store is so small it can't fit more lol  Go in at late night and there is 2 employees at most.

This also assumes no employee makes more than min. wage 

You keep Failing to recognize the difference between corporate and franchise.... Tim Bit Hockey is corporate and completely separate from the franchise operation.

So for the sake of cherry picking to suit your agenda you opt for the small counter inside a gas station rather than look at the very prominent much larger stand alone Tim's locations.

5 minutes ago, 02sled said:

I believe the lowest income tax rate is 20% up to 40K taxable income after deductions which all the minimum wage earners would fall under. You came up with a far better idea. How about Wynnebag reduce the taxes they pay by 25% that would be the same as giving them the raise and not impact the business owner. Let Wynnebag absorb the expense and simply cut back to offset it like she thinks business should do.

They didn't get your memo that you're right and they're wrong Fail. Don't forget a lot of the Tims locations are staffed and open 24X7.  There is one not far from me and when I have gone in I would guess based on the number of people I see there has to be about 15 behind the counter at any one time. Morning, afternoon and night shift 7 days a week adds up fast.

So do you think that's a good ROI.

The cost of a Tim Hortons franchise varies depending on the restaurant size and location, along with other factors. You must have $1.5million in net worth and $500,000 liquid assets in order to qualify. Financial requirements may be lower or higher depending on the transaction type. The franchise fee is currently $50,000, and it is due before the Restaurant opens for business.

On-going payments include:

• a weekly Royalty fee of 6% of gross sales for the term of the License;
  • a monthly Advertising levy of 4% of gross sales for the term of the License.

So before they pay anybody anything including themselves 10% of the gross goes to corporate. If you have $1.5M invested in your business and earn $174K that's an 11.6% ROI which is not something that's nothing outrageous. That doesn't even account for all the operational activities as part of the investment of the franchisee such as inventory etc.

Actually it's mediocre. Our investments earned more ROI than that this past year and I didn't have to lift a finger.
Fail thinks if you own a business you are independently wealthy.

You keep Failing to recognize the difference between corporate and franchise.... Tim Bit Hockey is corporate and completely separate from the franchise operation.

So for the sake of cherry picking to suit your agenda you opt for the small counter inside a gas station rather than look at the very prominent much larger stand alone Tim's locations.

you must live near the biggest and bestest Tim's Hortons I bet its way better than anyone else Tim's 

If the average is 11% that mean many are making way more while some may make less than that rate.  I am going to say a pretty much guaranteed 11% no matter the economy is a great return 

i don't think I have seen 15 workers at once at any Tim's in my life, I am sure yours has that but most don't 

That is why you need more than 1 store - common knowledge 

Your math continues to be your Failure Fail.... 11.6% ROI on one store. Get a second store you double the investment, double the revenue, double the headaches associated with running the business and double the expense. The ROI is till only 11.6% no matter how you look at it which is simply lousy for operating a business.

3 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

lol business plan totally laid out for you :dunno:   i would think not much thought is needed 

:lol:Obviously someone who has never been responsible for all that goes into managing a business. Who manages inventory, staffing fluctuations to meet customer demand peeks and lows, finances of the franchise and so much more.....

17 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

I knew you would have a good story to tell 

You call it a story I call it fact.... the lowest room rate has gone up 25%. That's what I found when we checked in and we were talking. I said I see your rates have jumped quite a bit and he explained. Don't want to believe it call around and check what the best room rates you can get are now compared to what they were this time last year.  :ass:  as usual. Don't worry Fail... when the cost of everything goes up your union will demand significant raises for you to cover all those increased costs.

9 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

you must live near the biggest and bestest Tim's Hortons I bet its way better than anyone else Tim's 

If the average is 11% that mean many are making way more while some may make less than that rate.  I am going to say a pretty much guaranteed 11% no matter the economy is a great return 

i don't think I have seen 15 workers at once at any Tim's in my life, I am sure yours has that but most don't 

Most businesses doing it right make 12% selling widgets.:lol:

2 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

More :bullshit: from Fail.... Just the local stand alone Tims Fail. It is busy.... too bad you're only familiar with the tiny little counters in the gas station. Even the tiny little Tims counter in the food court at Port Severn has as many as 5 or 6 people working there at times. This is just one franchise on a busy corner in suburbia. Do you live in east arm pit Ontario or something Fail. They have 4 people taking orders at the front counter alone. Then there's the person taking orders for the drive through. That's 1/3 of the total just taking orders. Who do you think is cooking/heating and prepping those orders and another couple of people actually handing the orders to the customers Fail. You really are stupid aren't you? You must lead a really sheltered life and not get to the big city very often... or even the small town. Can't get much smaller than Port Severn... actually it's not even a town, it's a hamlet.

If you think 11% is a great ROI for running a business than you really are dumber than I thought.

2 minutes ago, 02sled said:

2 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Your math continues to be your Failure Fail.... 11.6% ROI on one store. Get a second store you double the investment, double the revenue, double the headaches associated with running the business and double the expense. The ROI is till only 11.6% no matter how you look at it which is simply lousy for operating a business.

:lol:Obviously someone who has never been responsible for all that goes into managing a business. Who manages inventory, staffing fluctuations to meet customer demand peeks and lows, finances of the franchise and so much more.....

You call it a story I call it fact.... the lowest room rate has gone up 25%. That's what I found when we checked in and we were talking. I said I see your rates have jumped quite a bit and he explained. Don't want to believe it call around and check what the best room rates you can get are now compared to what they were this time last year.  :ass:  as usual. Don't worry Fail... when the cost of everything goes up your union will demand significant raises for you to cover all those increased costs.

Bold - I do that and have for decades might not be a at Tim's but I am sure its not that hard to figure out.  Compare that to a guy opening his own store that has to figure out where to buy everything, pricing, he has to do it all.   Franchises are sold as turnkey if you have the money almost anyone can do it.   opening your own isn't for everyone 

if they raise their rates 25% they are doing it because they see dollars and a reason to blame it on.  Do the math 02sled and come back 

4 minutes ago, 02sled said:

More :bullshit: from Fail.... Just the local stand alone Tims Fail. It is busy.... too bad you're only familiar with the tiny little counters in the gas station. Even the tiny little Tims counter in the food court at Port Severn has as many as 5 or 6 people working there at times. This is just one franchise on a busy corner in suburbia. Do you live in east arm pit Ontario or something Fail. They have 4 people taking orders at the front counter alone. Then there's the person taking orders for the drive through. That's 1/3 of the total just taking orders. Who do you think is cooking/heating and prepping those orders and another couple of people actually handing the orders to the customers Fail. You really are stupid aren't you? You must lead a really sheltered life and not get to the big city very often... or even the small town. Can't get much smaller than Port Severn... actually it's not even a town, it's a hamlet.

If you think 11% is a great ROI for running a business than you really are dumber than I thought.

cooking :lol:  dude everything single food item is frozen and microwaved :lol:  

coffee is prepacked, you open the coffee machine and change out the filter 

come on - do you really think no one here hasn't been in a Tims a 100 times all over Ontario 

26 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

Bold - I do that and have for decades might not be a at Tim's but I am sure its not that hard to figure out.  Compare that to a guy opening his own store that has to figure out where to buy everything, pricing, he has to do it all.   Franchises are sold as turnkey if you have the money almost anyone can do it.   opening your own isn't for everyone 

if they raise their rates 25% they are doing it because they see dollars and a reason to blame it on.  Do the math 02sled and come back 

More :bullshit: from Fail... You're a government employee... you don't run a business, never have and never will... or even been accountable for profit / loss.

You do the math Fail.... That is the least amount they charge for a room. The room rates fluctuate dependent on occupancy and time of year, all relative to supply and demand. They just can't have the lowest rate as low as it has been since virtually everyone there is making minimum or damn close. Funny how you see it as seeing dollars but every place in town sees it as survival.

47 minutes ago, 02sled said:

More :bullshit: from Fail... You're a government employee... you don't run a business, never have and never will... or even been accountable for profit / loss.

You do the math Fail.... That is the least amount they charge for a room. The room rates fluctuate dependent on occupancy and time of year, all relative to supply and demand. They just can't have the lowest rate as low as it has been since virtually everyone there is making minimum or damn close. Funny how you see it as seeing dollars but every place in town sees it as survival.

if his rates went up 25% he saw you coming 

1 hour ago, 1trailmaker said:

no doubt,

02sled says that is poor ROI and they are losers :lol:  

That isn't their ROI, its their gross margin on one sale item.  The example with Tim's is a poor one cause both the sales till and investment are the same.

Also a tax efficient investment return of 10% would require a 15% income or interest return to leave one with the same after tax profit at the highest tax rate.

24 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

That isn't their ROI, its their gross margin on one sale item.  The example with Tim's is a poor one cause both the sales till and investment are the same.

Also a tax efficient investment return of 10% would require a 15% income or interest return to leave one with the same after tax profit at the highest tax rate.

02sled is rambling about ROI not me 

I wouldn't suggest a TIMS for you no matter how good you would look in that hat

Edited by 1trailmaker

2 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

if his rates went up 25% he saw you coming 

Like I said Fail call around and compare the LOWEST room rate from this year to last year. Not their highest room rate but their lowest. Another concept you don't seem to grasp. The same room on a Wed in January is going to be lower than the Sat in January or any time in July. I didn't say all the room rates which fluctuate dramatically I said the lowest room rate.

I have been staying there sledding season weekends for likely about 10 years or more. I get a preferential room rate due to that.

3 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

cooking :lol:  dude everything single food item is frozen and microwaved :lol:  

coffee is prepacked, you open the coffee machine and change out the filter 

come on - do you really think no one here hasn't been in a Tims a 100 times all over Ontario 

okay... whatever you say... cooking was a loose term for those making all the hot foods... you will knit pick anything to suit your agenda won't you. There are people toasting assembling, some are steamed and more. Yup  they heat up that chili one bowl at a time in a microwave. Same as the soup. Yes it's prepared and reheated but not in a microwave. I can split hairs just like you. Must be one hell of a big microwave or one hell of a lot of them to put through the kind of volume they do when everyone is on their way to work.

C'mon Fail the only Tims you've ever been in is a counter in a gas station with no more than 5 people....

5 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Like I said Fail call around and compare the LOWEST room rate from this year to last year. Not their highest room rate but their lowest. Another concept you don't seem to grasp. The same room on a Wed in January is going to be lower than the Sat in January or any time in July. I didn't say all the room rates which fluctuate dramatically I said the lowest room rate.

I have been staying there sledding season weekends for likely about 10 years or more. I get a preferential room rate due to that.

seems to have worked out for you :lol:  only up 25% :lol:   

if it went up like that it wasn\t due to a wage increase

1 minute ago, 02sled said:

okay... whatever you say... cooking was a loose term for those making all the hot foods... you will knit pick anything to suit your agenda won't you. There are people toasting assembling, some are steamed and more. Yup  they heat up that chili one bowl at a time in a microwave. Same as the soup. Yes it's prepared and reheated but not in a microwave. I can split hairs just like you. Must be one hell of a big microwave or one hell of a lot of them to put through the kind of volume they do when everyone is on their way to work.

C'mon Fail the only Tims you've ever been in is a counter in a gas station with no more than 5 people....

I hope to visit your nearby store on day just to see what the big city is like 

http://nationalpost.com/news/the-inconvenient-truths-of-the-minimum-wage-increase

One of the comments:

Oh, Zeba, Zeba, Zeba...what are we going to do with you? Of course, as full time religious professor at Carleton U, and never had to make a payroll payment in your life, one would guess, you don't REALLY understand that for someone who operates a small business, this hike is a going to be a job killer, full stop. I think you said it best on your webpage: "...the more you (think you) know, the more you realize you don't know" (I added the little "think you" in there).

Please, make no mistake about this, Zeba: this hike is aimed directly at small businesses. You probably "don't know" that 70% (
that's SEVEN ZERO percent) of the private sector workforce is employed by small businesses -and 55% of those have 4 employees or less, i.e. your know, you little local "mom and pop" operations.

Margins for these small business are already razor thin, and 40% of these owners work 50+ hours per week (only 6% of employees work over 50 hrs per week). Statistics Canada data shows that two-thirds of Canadian small business owners are earning less than $73,000 and there are four times as many small business owners earning less than $40,000 per year than there are those earning over $250,000 per year. And, let's not forget these owners have risked everything to start these businesses, which provide employment to others.

The fact of the matter is that these small business employers simply will not hire new inexperienced workers at this wage, unless there are NO experienced workers out there. And this ridiculous hike will ensure that new employees, especially the unskilled inexperienced ones, will STAY on min. wage much, much longer than in the past. 

Which leads to the next point which is this hike also puts pressure on the other wages of those already working in small business and who are earning more than min. wage. As I've posted elsewhere, the two year experienced worker who was making $16.25 an hour or $5 more than the old min. wage of $11.25, will now be making just a $1.25 more than a new hire next year who will start at $15/hr. Is this two-year experienced, trained employee now to make $20/hr? That money has to come from somewhere and the idiots who say "well, all your competitors are in the same boat", again, have never had to meet a payroll in their lives. Your competitors will look at ways to cut their biggest cost first i.e. labour costs, and you will be forced to do the same - raising prices will not be the first choice. And if your competitor successfully cuts his costs (i.e wages), then you will too.

Oh, and did I mention that this min. wage hike is also a huge tax grab for the Feds and Wynne, as a single full time min. wage earner at $15/hr, will now pay over $1,500 more per year in income taxes in 2018 as a result of this "raise" (based on the 2017 tax calculators)? Nice little bit of "bonus cash" for the Liberals to burn through, sending it along to their supporters in one form or another, at least until these min. wage jobs dry up, eh?

No, what this hike does is ensure that if a new employee is not worth $15/hr to the small business owner, that prospective employee will remain unemployed. Seattle, as mentioned in the article, is a very good example of this. But don't be surprised if these craven Liberals bring in some form of "wage subsidy program" in disguise, for small businesses to pay a portion of this increase for new employees, for some period of time, at taxpayer expense, of course, to skew the actual job loss numbers.

So, again, when your kid going off to college or university, or any of the kids you teach, have trouble finding a summer job in a small business like the local Dairy Queen, hardware store, or the like, at this forced $15/hr, get back to us, will you? I am sure they'll understand it's all about the local mom and pop excercising their "owners' rights".

Edited by revrnd