Ontario has gone to hell under NinnyBag

Momorider

2 hours ago, 02sled said:

Lots of employers require receipts. Especially the large ones where they have huge numbers of employees on the road every single day. Policy was to use the corporate card. The exception was if you encountered a situation where they didn't accept the card. I'm going to guess with the thousands of people flying, staying in hotels and renting cars regularly they had negotiated some additional discounts that were rebated after the fact based on a percentage of total spend. We were also directed not to get the optional insurance on rental cars. If you did it wasn't covered. The company looked at what they paid in car rental insurance, the number and value of claims paid out then decided it was by far less costly to self insure and simply pay out if required.

When you traveled you went to the corporate web site to schedule all of your travel. You would enter dates and times and it would give you the corporately approved airlines and their flights, same with the hotels and rental cars. You couldn't just book whatever you felt like. If you were booking an alternate airline or hotel that option came up only when the corporately approved options didn't have anything to fit your travel needs.

When you filed your expenses it was done online in the same tool. You would see all the charges to the card online. Select the charge and click the radio button of what it was for. i.e. hotel, car rental, gas, aifare, taxi or meals and then the sub button for breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack.

Think on the large scale where it's a company operating globally and the need to process travel expenses for all those people. It wasn't small scale with a small single office to track and manage expenses for a handful of people.

I've seen sales people go out for a pricey lunch with their friends, claim they were customers. The next time they go out it's the next guys turn to pick up the bill for his friends. If I paid for a meal for other people and they were our employees, I had to enter their names and the occasion that prompted the meal such as taking the team to dinner for Christmas. If it was customers I was buying for I had to enter the names and the company they were with.

Being an IT person I would suspect they would track and analyze the full expense of getting and maintaining a customer relative to revenue. When we got a net new customer I would see a report showing cost of acquisition.

As of a couple of years ago which is the most recent I know of IBM and I believe TD Bank were doing essentially the same or similar

Holy crap 02, CRA does not ask for it and its a total waste of resources on staff to try and administer a non issue.

What do you do when a group of you are gone for a few days and decide who is going to pick up the tab today?  Does  that throw a wrench into the system?

People are gone away from home and family, I'm more concerned with that than.  Who gives a shit if someone pockets an extra $10 on their meals 

1 hour ago, Pete Z said:

Wow. Pretty gripping stuff here, great reading. 

Can the OP please change the name of this thread to "This discussion has gone to hell with posts about expensing lunch"

Its not just lunch, add breakfast and dinner, it adds up apparently.

15 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Its not just lunch, add breakfast and dinner, it adds up apparently.

Well now that you point out we're talking about three squares a day here I can totally see the need for such a lengthy debate. By all means gentlemen, carry on.

33 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Holy crap 02, CRA does not ask for it and its a total waste of resources on staff to try and administer a non issue.

What do you do when a group of you are gone for a few days and decide who is going to pick up the tab today?  Does  that throw a wrench into the system?

People are gone away from home and family, I'm more concerned with that than.  Who gives a shit if someone pockets an extra $10 on their meals 

When a group are gone they all have their own expenses and their own corporate cards. Book the travel online and reconcile the expenses online. The reconciliation is automated. CRA is small potatoes in the big picture. We're not talking a small business in Ontario. This is a corporation that operates globally. The systems flag out discrepancies. There aren't hundreds of people processing this stuff. It's automated.

Your company travel expense would be miniscule in comparison. We are talking about a company with 102,000 employees. If 30% of those travel, 30,600 X $1000 of abuse each per year.  That's $30.6M. Still think you don't need controls and limits in place.

Edited by 02sled

7 minutes ago, 02sled said:

When a group are gone they all have their own expenses and their own corporate cards. Book the travel online and reconcile the expenses online. The reconciliation is automated. CRA is small potatoes in the big picture. We're not talking a small business in Ontario. This is a corporation that operates globally. The systems flag out discrepancies. There aren't hundreds of people processing this stuff. It's automated.

Your company travel expense would be miniscule in comparison. We are talking about a company with 102,000 employees. If 30% of those travel, 30,600 X $1000 of abuse each per year.  That's $30.6M. Still think you don't need controls and limits in place.

You are complicating something that doesn't need to be.  Not talking about justifying $200 expenses as everyone does that regardless.  If a company of over 100k employees needs to squeeze employees who travel regularily for them then they have a lot to learn from the smaller ones.

10 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

You are complicating something that doesn't need to be.  Not talking about justifying $200 expenses as everyone does that regardless.  If a company of over 100k employees needs to squeeze employees who travel regularily for them then they have a lot to learn from the smaller ones.

Not squeezing. Just ensuring that it isn't abused, tracking and recording travel expenses properly. If I recall when you totaled the allotted amounts for food it came in around $100 a day. One of the other reasons I recall for having receipts was the company didn't pay for alcohol. You wanted that it was on your dime. Not once did I ever exceed my daily limit and typically was well under.

Edited by 02sled

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎17 at 7:26 AM, ArcticCrusher said:

Both found hanging near the pool.  Nothing suspicious.  There goes the legacy.  What will JT's stance be for voilence against women?

https://globalnews.ca/news/3921034/suspicious-death-of-apotex-founder-barry-sherman-and-wife-honey/

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/barry-sherman-was-under-investigation-for-breaking-lobbying-rules/ar-BBH3btb?li=AAadgLE&ocid=spartanntp

and there is the link. 

3 minutes ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

Only days before he died, Toronto billionaire Barry Sherman was attempting to quash an investigation into a political fundraiser he held for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that allegedly ran afoul of lobbying rules.

Question: Prime Minister, do you have any comments about the allegations of an investigation into fundraising for you and lobbying rules being broken

Trudeau: I uh am working for the people ah of um Canada and the ah people have um full ah faith in um the priorities as um set out.

Question: Prime Minister... you didn't answer the question

Trudeau: Um ah we can't comment ah um on the most recent um tragic um (shed a tear) loss of um such good ah personal um friends ah and the ah party

Just now, 02sled said:

Only days before he died, Toronto billionaire Barry Sherman was attempting to quash an investigation into a political fundraiser he held for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that allegedly ran afoul of lobbying rules.

Question: Prime Minister, do you have any comments about the allegations of an investigation into fundraising for you and lobbying rules being broken

Trudeau: I uh am working for the people ah of um Canada and the ah people have um full ah faith in um the priorities as um set out.

Trudeau: Um ah we can't comment ah um on the most recent um tragic um (shed a tear) loss of um such good ah personal um friends ah and the ah party

diversity ......................middle class......................listening to Canadians...............

2 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Its no wonder our children struggle with school and basic writing and english.  Look at how well a drama teacher can speak.  And he at least should be able to put a short answer together without all the ah and um.  He was a drama teacher.  Imagine going to see school play performance and every three words the lead said ah um.   

7 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Its no wonder our children struggle with school and basic writing and english.  Look at how well a drama teacher can speak.  And he at least should be able to put a short answer together without all the ah and um.  He was a drama teacher.  Imagine going to see school play performance and every three words the lead said ah um.   

Don't forget.. drama teacher... that means they are working from a script. You can always tell the difference of Trudope winging it or reading something prepared. Winging it is full of um's and ah's as his brain tries to keep pace with his mouth. Few if any um's and ah's when he is reciting a prepared script. Then his drama teacher background did enable him to shed a tear right on cue.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 02sled said:

Not squeezing. Just ensuring that it isn't abused, tracking and recording travel expenses properly. If I recall when you totaled the allotted amounts for food it came in around $100 a day. One of the other reasons I recall for having receipts was the company didn't pay for alcohol. You wanted that it was on your dime. Not once did I ever exceed my daily limit and typically was well under.

What is wrong with per diem no questions asked, above that submit receipts.  I could never work for a company that nickles and dimes their employees and do not know of anyone in decision making roles in large corps who are.

2 hours ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

Hilarious. I counted about 14 or 15 uhs ahs and one pregnant pause in the 42 second clip. Maybe the uhs and ahs he believes create DRAMATIC EFFECT.

Going forward all questions must be submitted a day in advance so I can prepare a scripted response and not stammer over the answer.

• Like 1