Ontario has gone to hell under NinnyBag

Momorider

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Both found hanging near the pool.  Nothing suspicious.  There goes the legacy.  What will JT's stance be for voilence against women?

https://globalnews.ca/news/3921034/suspicious-death-of-apotex-founder-barry-sherman-and-wife-honey/

Sounds more like a double murder than murder suicide, but I guess you never know.  Hanging from a waist height railing just seems really odd.

30 minutes ago, Pete Z said:

Sounds more like a double murder than murder suicide, but I guess you never know.  Hanging from a waist height railing just seems really odd.

It does seem odd.  They think he killed her then hung her body and then himself by the pools edge.  They're not looking for suspects at the time.

If true and not saying its proven, what does it say about him?

Edited by ArcticCrusher

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

It does seem odd.  They think he killed her then hung her body and then himself by the pools edge.  They're not looking for suspects at the time.

If true and not saying its proven, what does it say about him?

You would think that a man in his position would have the knowledge of and access to pharmaceuticals that would bring things to a more pleasant conclusion. 

2 hours ago, Pete Z said:

You would think that a man in his position would have the knowledge of and access to pharmaceuticals that would bring things to a more pleasant conclusion. 

Maybe he snapped when his generic ED meds failed?

Dont think it was planned.

What's the starting salary for a teacher?

CTV had a clip of a woman who said she was a teacher that was lined up for a free turkey in T.O. today. She said normally it was out of her budget to buy 1.

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:53 PM, 1trailmaker said:

I have no doubt sellers/contractors take what they can from governments - nothing new here

councilors are given X amount of dollars, if its too much give them less - asking them to bring a pencil from home is not right. 

A couple of millionaires parading around spending their own money is showboating nothing more.

02sled if you are given a lunch budget at a meeting do you bring a sandwich and run to the boss with the money you saved him?    if so you are fucked in the head

How much did Robbie cost you for 1 subway stop ?

with no maintainance on the Gardener Express how much more is that costing today?

toronto is in so much better shape today than it was in during Robbie Crack days

Stupidity continues... I have an operating budget for the year. In your stupid mind if I am approaching the end of the year and have a surplus I'm supposed to just piss it away because I can. Or in your analogy... have a caterer supply steak for everyone just because I can. Not sure what kind of meetings need to supply lunch. Typically a long meeting is a couple of hours. We are productive and can accomplish in an hour or two what government needs most of a day to do I guess. That would be extremely rare indeed to go through lunch. In that case we would break for lunch and then reconvene after. On the rare occasion that we did have lunch supplied we had sandwiches, coffee, water and soft drinks. That would be where we had outside people come in.

It's not unusual in the real world that you have never been part of to have a budgetary review either quarterly or semi-annually. At that point you would if appropriate revise the budget up or down and either request more money or give some back.

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:27 PM, ArcticCrusher said:

I have to admit I still get a chuckle at 02 trying to explain the receipts required for breakfast/lunch and dinner instead of per Diem.

What do you think of Tory, JT and the Health Minister praising Barry Sherman and His wife Honey's following their death yesterday calling him a great person etc etc.

It's looking like he killed his wife then himself, does that still make him a great person since he was a Billionaire Liberal?

Everything was charged to the corporate credit card. There's an online program where you submit your expenses that correspond to the credit card charges. What's so tough about that. If someone charged an un-allowed expense it would be denied. I could have used that card for virtually anything. Surely you understand that accounting needs to manage and account for the expenses under the proper ledger accounts. The card was used for airfare, cabs, rental cars, hotels, meals etc.

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:38 AM, Pete Z said:

News last night said police were looking at it as a murder investigation.

9 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Stupidity continues... I have an operating budget for the year. In your stupid mind if I am approaching the end of the year and have a surplus I'm supposed to just piss it away because I can. Or in your analogy... have a caterer supply steak for everyone just because I can. Not sure what kind of meetings need to supply lunch. Typically a long meeting is a couple of hours. We are productive and can accomplish in an hour or two what government needs most of a day to do I guess. That would be extremely rare indeed to go through lunch. In that case we would break for lunch and then reconvene after. On the rare occasion that we did have lunch supplied we had sandwiches, coffee, water and soft drinks. That would be where we had outside people come in.

It's not unusual in the real world that you have never been part of to have a budgetary review either quarterly or semi-annually. At that point you would if appropriate revise the budget up or down and either request more money or give some back.

I/we have no lunch  budget for meetings, but we were not talking about me.

How is spending budget money on a office space wasting money? 

I have no problem in saying "you can do it with less" and cut the budget,  but telling people to have some sort of contest on who spends the less and who can spend more of their own money  is dumb and nothing but show boating

bold did you make the sandwiches at home and tell the boss how much you saved him today?  :dunno:

Edited by 1trailmaker

10 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

I/we have no lunch  budget for meetings, but we were not talking about me.

How is spending budget money on a office space wasting money? 

I have no problem in saying "you can do it with less" and cut the budget,  but telling people to have some sort of contest on who spends the less and who can spend more of their own money  is dumb and nothing but show boating

bold did you make the sandwiches at home and tell the boss how much you saved him today?  :dunno:

If you don't need to rent an office because you can make use of an existing unused resource spending that money to rent one is a waste. Pretty simple. It's not a matter of spending their own money. It's a matter of spending for the sake of spending versus not spending on something you don't need.

:lol:

As for the sandwiches for that real rare meeting... they came from the cafeteria which was a contracted service provider. We didn't have a lunch budget either. I had an opex budget and a capital budget.

The point is you don't spend it just because you can. You spend it on what you actually need.

Edited by 02sled

7 hours ago, 02sled said:

Everything was charged to the corporate credit card. There's an online program where you submit your expenses that correspond to the credit card charges. What's so tough about that. If someone charged an un-allowed expense it would be denied. I could have used that card for virtually anything. Surely you understand that accounting needs to manage and account for the expenses under the proper ledger accounts. The card was used for airfare, cabs, rental cars, hotels, meals etc.

I was referring to per diem rates on meals that you had to create three different expenses for, ie one for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  A simple per diem rate of $55/day works great, so if you spend less you get to pocket the difference tax free.  

Now you bring up company credit cards.  Why on earth you would want one, when you have a points card and get free perks just for everyday expenses plus hotel/car/airfare etc?  

CRA and employers do not require receipts for meals, stop trying to justify it.

6 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I was referring to per diem rates on meals that you had to create three different expenses for, ie one for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  A simple per diem rate of $55/day works great, so if you spend less you get to pocket the difference tax free.  

Now you bring up company credit cards.  Why on earth you would want one, when you have a points card and get free perks just for everyday expenses plus hotel/car/airfare etc?  

AC there are many different company practices.

My company pays $51/day for meals. Across the board.  Salesmen, mechanics, office staff.  Whoever travels.

$71 CAD/day if outside Canada.

$10 for breakfast

$12 for lunch

$29 for dinner

If you have breakfast included in room rate you are suppose to deduct.

If you take a customer for any meal you have to deduct the base amount from your per diem.  Per diem no reciepts required.  Reciepts required for all others.  

I am allowed to take people out for every meal every day just not company employees alone without customers.  

And we use our own card which is good for points programs but it is also easier for them to deny anexpense. 

6 minutes ago, Sksman said:

AC there are many different company practices.

My company pays $51/day for meals. Across the board.  Salesmen, mechanics, office staff.  Whoever travels.

$71 CAD/day if outside Canada.

$10 for breakfast

$12 for lunch

$29 for dinner

If you have breakfast included in room rate you are suppose to deduct.

If you take a customer for any meal you have to deduct the base amount from your per diem.  Per diem no reciepts required.  Reciepts required for all others.  

I am allowed to take people out for every meal every day just not company employees alone without customers.  

And we use our own card which is good for points programs but it is also easier for them to deny anexpense. 

We charge $55/day in whatever the local currency is, normally it is in the US.  Most breakfast's are included with hotel stays.  Most of these charges are expensed against customer P.O.s but would be the same if not.  Taking out customers, ask for a bill and expense what ever it is, but we still do not not invoice customers more, add it to cost of sales. 

I have gone on quite a few vacations on the points card, so I don't know why anyone would ask for a company CC.  We have never denied an employee's expense.

3 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

We charge $55/day in whatever the local currency is, normally it is in the US.  Most breakfast's are included with hotel stays.  Most of these charges are expensed against customer P.O.s but would be the same if not.  Taking out customers, ask for a bill and expense what ever it is, but we still do not not invoice customers more, add it to cost of sales. 

I have gone on quite a few vacations on the points card, so I don't know why anyone would ask for a company CC.  We have never denied an employee's expense.

Before i started with this company they had a few guys abuse the system.  Expenses were obscene and now they are tougher on everyone.  2 Service techs would go out for $150 dinners.  Sales guys would go for $200 lunches together.  

I dont mind the rules.  Its a little cheap some days but you have to eat anyhow.  And i spend enough on customers on road.  I can use a few cheaper lighter meals.  

22 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Lots of employers require receipts. Especially the large ones where they have huge numbers of employees on the road every single day. Policy was to use the corporate card. The exception was if you encountered a situation where they didn't accept the card. I'm going to guess with the thousands of people flying, staying in hotels and renting cars regularly they had negotiated some additional discounts that were rebated after the fact based on a percentage of total spend. We were also directed not to get the optional insurance on rental cars. If you did it wasn't covered. The company looked at what they paid in car rental insurance, the number and value of claims paid out then decided it was by far less costly to self insure and simply pay out if required.

When you traveled you went to the corporate web site to schedule all of your travel. You would enter dates and times and it would give you the corporately approved airlines and their flights, same with the hotels and rental cars. You couldn't just book whatever you felt like. If you were booking an alternate airline or hotel that option came up only when the corporately approved options didn't have anything to fit your travel needs.

When you filed your expenses it was done online in the same tool. You would see all the charges to the card online. Select the charge and click the radio button of what it was for. i.e. hotel, car rental, gas, aifare, taxi or meals and then the sub button for breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack.

Think on the large scale where it's a company operating globally and the need to process travel expenses for all those people. It wasn't small scale with a small single office to track and manage expenses for a handful of people.

I've seen sales people go out for a pricey lunch with their friends, claim they were customers. The next time they go out it's the next guys turn to pick up the bill for his friends. If I paid for a meal for other people and they were our employees, I had to enter their names and the occasion that prompted the meal such as taking the team to dinner for Christmas. If it was customers I was buying for I had to enter the names and the company they were with.

Being an IT person I would suspect they would track and analyze the full expense of getting and maintaining a customer relative to revenue. When we got a net new customer I would see a report showing cost of acquisition.

As of a couple of years ago which is the most recent I know of IBM and I believe TD Bank were doing essentially the same or similar

Edited by 02sled

Wow. Pretty gripping stuff here, great reading. 

Can the OP please change the name of this thread to "This discussion has gone to hell with posts about expensing lunch"

Edited by Pete Z
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Sksman said:

Before i started with this company they had a few guys abuse the system.  Expenses were obscene and now they are tougher on everyone.  2 Service techs would go out for $150 dinners.  Sales guys would go for $200 lunches together.  

I dont mind the rules.  Its a little cheap some days but you have to eat anyhow.  And i spend enough on customers on road.  I can use a few cheaper lighter meals.  

So, don't allow it unless they are taking out clients.  It doesn't need to be complicated.