Ontario has gone to hell under NinnyBag

Momorider

3 minutes ago, revrnd said:

When I asked an electrical apprentice I knew why he was commuting to downtown Toronto rather get in on the construction work in the Durham area. He sid in those housing projects they had 'wire pullers' working under a journeyman that checked everything over & did the final connections. They weren't even classified as apprentices. This was back in the late 90s.

I worked on a site in North Carolina a couple of years ago.  The electrical contractor used a different group to pull the wires from the terminators who needed to actually read the drawings.  The first group were not licensed electricians. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

The only person taking that job is someone who fucked themselves over and needs to take anything to make ends meet.  They will be gone as soon as they land on their feet.  The employer is an idiot.

The employer can and does take advantage of what you just said,  he really doesn't care as long as his pockets are full.  

I just happen to know a group of young guys all doing electrical, One Union guy got lucky and make 30$ an hour 3rd year while all the others beside unemployed then employed make under $20 an hour 

If they can they will 

52 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

it means you can't pay an electrician 17$ an hour like they do while profiting off the taxpayers 

$20 an hour for large contractors isn't big money 

$20 an hour to answer the phone is... and more stupidity from Fail as usual... multiply that number by the number in a large company and it sure as hell is. Loblaws sees a $190M hit to their opex with Wynnebags minimum wage. Keep thinking that $190M is nothing. Maybe if you're spending taxpayer money like government pisses it away it's nothing.

6 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

The employer can and does take advantage of what you just said,  he really doesn't care as long as his pockets are full.  

I just happen to know a group of young guys all doing electrical, One Union guy got lucky and make 30$ an hour 3rd year while all the others beside unemployed then employed make under $20 an hour 

If they can they will 

I mainly work with I&E electricians.  A good one can cut your downtime in half and with some of these processes that's more than their salary.  I understand what you're saying, but like I said it makes little sense to hire the one willing to take a pay everyone knows is shit.

1 minute ago, 02sled said:

$20 an hour to answer the phone is... and more stupidity from Fail as usual... multiply that number by the number in a large company and it sure as hell is. Loblaws sees a $190M hit to their opex with Wynnebags minimum wage. Keep thinking that $190M is nothing. Maybe if you're spending taxpayer money like government pisses it away it's nothing.

poor old Loblaws how are they going to make it :dunno:  I mean people flock there everyday and that will never stop, spending 1 grand a month 

boofuckinghoo 

Keep fighting to reach the bottom 02sled 

46 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Don't know any electrician who doesn't make a lot more than 60K.  Unless of course, they are the Homer Simpson types that won't work Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

X2

28 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

What skill set does it take to pull wire through a conduit?  

Link?

None....

3 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I mainly work with I&E electricians.  A good one can cut your downtime in half and with some of these processes that's more than their salary.  I understand what you're saying, but like I said it makes little sense to hire the one willing to take a pay everyone knows is shit.

most companies are just too bit, their interest is in making money not quality jobs.  

There is a reason contractors are on the news nightly for ripping off customers, shitty work, or just not showing up - 1000's of these companies are out there.

We switched to UNION ONLY COMPANIES a while ago so the work is far better now.  And so is the cost lol 

19 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I worked on a site in North Carolina a couple of years ago.  The electrical contractor used a different group to pull the wires from the terminators who needed to actually read the drawings.  The first group were not licensed electricians. 

When we were building our data centre the guys pulling the wires through the conduit weren't electricians either. The electricians told them which wires to pull based on requirements and then went on to do other things. There were also different classes of electrician such as high voltage that were getting paid more than the average electrician... all spelled out by their union.

24 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

The only person taking that job is someone who fucked themselves over and needs to take anything to make ends meet.  They will be gone as soon as they land on their feet.  The employer is an idiot.

Unemployable?

8 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

poor old Loblaws how are they going to make it :dunno:  I mean people flock there everyday and that will never stop, spending 1 grand a month 

boofuckinghoo 

:clueless::clueless:You live in a dream world where opex and providing a ROI to shareholders is irrelevant. Today is more proof of what we see day after day... rather than actually work and be productive you're spending your day here. Which is proof of how your employer doesn't care about productivity or expense.

10 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

boofuckinghoo 

People will still shop for food, they need to eat.  However habits can quickly change.  Places like price chopper and no frills could see an increase in volume, while Loblaws, Sobeys etc might see a drop.

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

People will still shop for food, they need to eat.  However habits can quickly change.  Places like price chopper and no frills could see an increase in volume, while Loblaws, Sobeys etc might see a drop.

lol ah no

all these companies face the exact same wages - if one loses business to another that is exactly what should happen 

I give all these businesses a big boohoo stop fucking crying - there really is only a few owners 

1 minute ago, 1trailmaker said:

lol ah no

all these companies face the exact same wages - if one loses business to another that is exactly what should happen 

I give all these businesses a big boohoo stop fucking crying - there really is only a few owners 

The higher end stores could lose out to the lower end ones.  Considering price chopper and no frills are at the bottom already, they could see a boost.  You know, the race to the bottom.

35 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

What skill set does it take to pull wire through a conduit?  

Link?

I remember being @ a skilled trades meeting & the journeymen were complaining about the skill set the current crop of apprentices. The company had raised the educational requirements such that the successful candidates didn't have the greatest grasp of hands on work. The said it was painful trying to train them to operate a conduit bender. It was like they had 2 left hands.

15 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

The higher end stores could lose out to the lower end ones.  Considering price chopper and no frills are at the bottom already, they could see a boost.  You know, the race to the bottom.

The issue with stores like NO FRILLS is some stuff is real good tasting while others are just horrible,  I think most people like BRAND names 

On that note I switched to FRENCHS ketchup over Heinz - don't pay bargain brands its just not worth it 

Do you are or wife shop at discount stores :dunno:  or do you just send the help to shop for you :lol:  so not to be seen there 

40 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Who do you think owns No Frills and Price Chopper... the big ones like Loblaws and Metro.... on pretty thin margins.

Edited by 02sled

24 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

The issue with stores like NO FRILLS is some stuff is real good tasting while others are just horrible,  I think most people like BRAND names 

On that note I switched to FRENCHS ketchup over Heinz - don't pay bargain brands its just not worth it 

Do you are or wife shop at discount stores :dunno:  or do you just send the help to shop for you :lol:  so not to be seen there 

What help? :lol:

I like to personally feel the fruit.

13 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Who do you think owns No Frills and Price Chopper... the big ones like Loblaws and Metro.... on pretty thin margins.

No frills is part of Loblaws, however the stores are independently owned.  My wife's cousin owns one.

35 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

You do realize that No Frills does sell name brand items as well? It's not all 'NO NAME' branded.

You can buy Kelloggs cereal & Lancia pasta there.

12 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

His is in a real shitty area, so maybe that's not such a good idea.:lol:

its the food business, it only sucks for the small independent  stores 

so far so good - I am wondering when he starts to wear a cowboy hat since he is Asian looking :lol:  

Wynne isn't answering questions in the Legislature this morning. Sousa & Thibeault are extolling the wonderful state of the province's finances.

She was asked if she felt that a 6 million salary was prudent pay for the CEO of Hydro One. Thibeault stood up & promptly went off on a tangent.