Ontario has gone to hell under NinnyBag

Momorider

Last month I had 6 employees at 13 to 14 an hour . They will all be at 14 for at least a year. No more shift manager bonuses to be paid out. Surprisingly their attitude of entitlement is even more evident. Cell phones are like a plague in the workplace, finally had enough, notices handed to all employees outlining a zero tolerance for use in the building. You would have thought I had slaughtered a baby. The battle is on. First one I catch will be down the road kicking stones.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Pt3189 said:

Last month I had 6 employees at 13 to 14 an hour . They will all be at 14 for at least a year. No more shift manager bonuses to be paid out. Surprisingly their attitude of entitlement is even more evident. Cell phones are like a plague in the workplace, finally had enough, notices handed to all employees outlining a zero tolerance for use in the building. You would have thought I had slaughtered a baby. The battle is on. First one I catch will be down the road kicking stones.

you did kill their baby :lol:   

That's discriminatory.  Lol

Would be more fun to jam their signals!

22 minutes ago, Pt3189 said:

I have the WiFi strength on the router turned down to 10percent so that they can’t sit outside on breaks and surf.  I have 8 cameras that I can watch remotely on my phone or iPad. They know it and i use it a lot. It has probably saved me thousands of dollars. 

1 hour ago, Pt3189 said:

A few years ago when they were just about ready to gravel the shoulder on the newly paved 4 lane section of Hwy 7 east of Ptbo, there was a guy w/ a shovel shoveling gravel up against the edge of the pavement. The nephew who was in high school @ the time asked, "What's he doing?" "What you'll be doing if you don't get your Grade 12", was my answer.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Pt3189 said:

I have the WiFi strength on the router turned down to 10percent so that they can’t sit outside on breaks and surf.  I have 8 cameras that I can watch remotely on my phone or iPad. They know it and i use it a lot. It has probably saved me thousands of dollars. 

not being a noob but how did you save money?  or did you mean productivity :dunno:  

what is wrong with surfing on break :dunno:  are they allowed to smoke?

Theft mostly. Either servers serving friends for free. Pouring extra shots. Boxed product leaving the walk in freezer. The best one was two cases of chicken breasts placed in a garbage bag and thrown gently on the top of the dumpster. Then return and pick them up in the middle of the night. Caught a manager grabbing a server. Had a servers boyfriend passing cocaine to a server at the bar.  

6 minutes ago, Pt3189 said:

Theft mostly. Either servers serving friends for free. Pouring extra shots. Boxed product leaving the walk in freezer. The best one was two cases of chicken breasts placed in a garbage bag and thrown gently on the top of the dumpster. Then return and pick them up in the middle of the night. Caught a manager grabbing a server. Had a servers boyfriend passing cocaine to a server at the bar.  

nice crew 

I like to line the inside of my baggie clothes with zip-lock bags and fill them cooked food lol 

It has been attempted at every restaurant I have ever owned. I used to have Subway franchises, we inventory our bread and compare it to daily sales. It must all be accounted for. Had two high school kids that would bring in a dozen or so sub buns from a grocery store in their back packs. They could turn 6 dollars worth of bread into 80dollars worth of subs every time. That one took awhile to catch.

36 minutes ago, Pt3189 said:

It has been attempted at every restaurant I have ever owned. I used to have Subway franchises, we inventory our bread and compare it to daily sales. It must all be accounted for. Had two high school kids that would bring in a dozen or so sub buns from a grocery store in their back packs. They could turn 6 dollars worth of bread into 80dollars worth of subs every time. That one took awhile to catch.

having 2 teens run the shop something is going to happen.  so many Subway's just have one or two teens all alone working night shift.  theft seems to be pretty common for retail too 

30% of Ontario's workforce is working for minimum wage. W/ manufacturing declining and the increase in retail & service jobs, what do the pointy heads expect?

Surf around the 'net & there are lots of comments about if the cost of living is so high in Ontario, why can't the gov't lower these costs? Some have even suggested that the province raise the tax bracket for low income wage earners.On this point will the wage increase result in these people more income tax?

11 minutes ago, revrnd said:

30% of Ontario's workforce is working for minimum wage. W/ manufacturing declining and the increase in retail & service jobs, what do the pointy heads expect?

Surf around the 'net & there are lots of comments about if the cost of living is so high in Ontario, why can't the gov't lower these costs? Some have even suggested that the province raise the tax bracket for low income wage earners.On this point will the wage increase result in these people more income tax?

Manufacturing is a tough one, if you just look at the numbers which by the way on a whole have increased in Ontario.

if you look here you will see most things have gone up while others haven't moved in years 

https://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/manuf33g-eng.htm

Automation has taken more jobs from manufacturing than all other reasons combined

FOOD has been number one for a while besides automotive which just took a big jump up

you can have growth and unemployment at the same time

Who said today's kids aren't entrepreneurial....

4 hours ago, Pt3189 said:

11 hours ago, Pt3189 said:

:lol:

How to turn bread into dough.

How many Subway franchises did you need to make a decent buck?

in the 90s and the 00s i had three Subways plus a Crabby Joes Franchise. it would take three franchises to make a good annual income without standing there making sandwiches. I was younger and had more energy than now. The real money was in selling your franchise, which most of us owners did in the mid 00s. Sold all mine to New Canadians who staffed them with family. was just reading that North American Sales for Subway are down an average of 5 percent for 2017.

46 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

interesting numbers lol 

Average number of employees at a Tim Hortons store: 35

Average increased cost for one full-time employee: $6,968.26

seems this is a stretch having 35 employees working full time 52 weeks a year :dunno:  

calling BS

The Great White North Franchisee Association was formed in March 2017 - they need to check their numbers again and it would be nice if they responded to THE STAR for a interview 

4 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

interesting numbers lol 

Average number of employees at a Tim Hortons store: 35

Average increased cost for one full-time employee: $6,968.26

seems this is a stretch having 35 employees working full time 52 weeks a year :dunno:  

calling BS

The Great White North Franchisee Association was formed in March 2017 - they need to check their numbers again and it would be nice if they responded to THE STAR for a interview 

So do it on these numbers then.  Its still over $150K that the owners have zero control on raising prices to offset increased costs.  Just take it up the ass.

The Star obtained a week’s schedule for one Toronto-based Tim Hortons franchise. It listed 30 employees and four managers. That week, the average working week for employees was around 25 hours. This may not be typical for other Tim Hortons locations.

The press continue this story with no mention at all of the controlled pricing by the Franchisor. RBI and 3G Capital are still receiving the same percentage of Royalties as stated in signed franchise agreements with the store owners. That number will never decrease.The increased labour costs come right from owners bottom line. When you own a franchise you give up the some freedom when it comes to suppliers, menu items pricing . Some marketing is still controlled by the store owner but 3G has even cut into this lately.

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

So do it on these numbers then.  Its still over $150K that the owners have zero control on raising prices to offset increased costs.  Just take it up the ass.

I know tossing huge numbers around seems to explain things but it doesn't -  give the average till income for these Franchises.

Something tells me the % increase won't look as  bad 

TIm;s has 82% of all coffee sales in Canada - far from hurting 

its operating margin, the amount of revenue generated after paying operating costs, was 40 per cent in 2016, compared to 31 per cent at the world’s largest fast food company, McDonald’s Corp.

I doubt the average guy is thinking Tim's is hurting 

25 minutes ago, Pt3189 said:

in the 90s and the 00s i had three Subways plus a Crabby Joes Franchise. it would take three franchises to make a good annual income without standing there making sandwiches. I was younger and had more energy than now. The real money was in selling your franchise, which most of us owners did in the mid 00s. Sold all mine to New Canadians who staffed them with family. was just reading that North American Sales for Subway are down an average of 5 percent for 2017.

The real money is with the franchise corp.  The larger ones separately own the food service companies that feed the franchises.  Also when sales are low they can introduce a new product that requires new equipment that the owners have no choice in participating. 

13 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

I know tossing huge numbers around seems to explain things but it doesn't -  give the average till income for these Franchises.

Something tells me the % increase won't look as  bad 

TIm;s has 82% of all coffee sales in Canada - far from hurting 

its operating margin, the amount of revenue generated after paying operating costs, was 40 per cent in 2016, compared to 31 per cent at the world’s largest fast food company, McDonald’s Corp.

I doubt the average guy is thinking Tim's is hurting 

The average guy?  You are posting corp earnings not the store.  The average Tim's makes about $250K (2009) net profit,  so I'm sure they can absorb shelling out $150K to their employees due to min wage increases.  

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/tim-hortons--always-profitable.html

• Like 1

the average Hortons outlet earned nearly $1.5 million (before interest and taxes) and watched profits grow from $174,280 in 2002 to more than $265,000 in 2008.

10 years later profits have increase greatly.

Worlds largest food chain isn't whining, its just a few owners grabbing headlines 

12 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

the average Hortons outlet earned nearly $1.5 million (before interest and taxes) and watched profits grow from $174,280 in 2002 to more than $265,000 in 2008.

10 years later profits have increase greatly.

Worlds largest food chain isn't whining, its just a few owners grabbing headlines 

That's just the till.:lol:

You consider that a good investment.  I don't.  Your money can do better without the hassle.

The cost of a Tim Hortons franchise varies depending on the restaurant size and location, along with other factors. You must have $1.5million in net worth and $500,000 liquid assets in order to qualify. Financial requirements may be lower or higher depending on the transaction type

Edited by ArcticCrusher

4 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

The average guy?  You are posting corp earnings not the store.  The average Tim's makes about $250K (2009) net profit,  so I'm sure they can absorb shelling out $150K to their employees due to min wage increases.  

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/tim-hortons--always-profitable.html

Will they be cutting TIM BIT HOCKEY soon :dunno:  

150k is a stretch 

168 hours in a week - 30 employees is 1200 hours weekly = 7 staff 24hrs a day fulltime 

Sorry just not buying that,  never seen that many employees working at 3am 

Using an ESSO tims location,  even busy times 5 employees at most.  The store is so small it can't fit more lol  Go in at late night and there is 2 employees at most.

This also assumes no employee makes more than min. wage