Ontario has gone to hell under NinnyBag

Momorider

9 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Kind of hard to replace the atmosphere of an old building. As for the staff... small town they have to make a living and many had to leave since they couldn't wait for the rebuild. I think he said he had 46 people working there during the summer. The fire cost him big time financially.... you have to recover financially. The previous owners didn't have the same overhead since the place didn't have a mortgage. They also had upstairs apartment revenue which was lost when the fire happened. Gotta make a profit.

If people are no longer going there, how is that working for him? Yeah, the fire, etc, likely sucked big time for him, I can understand that, but if you want to survive and make a profit, cheapening out on things isn't going to do it. 

8 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Kevin Flynn the Minister of Labour is parroting the bullying nonsense. Sounds like the usual snowflake reaction to anything these days. 

To listen to him & Seabiscuit, people run a business so they can be charitable to the employees.

At one point in my career we had 'Turkey Day', we got paid straight time for the Saturday before Christmas even if we didn't work it. I never heard the origin of it but maybe it replaced giving employees a turkey many years ago. Well in 1 contract it was eliminated.

I bet all of you can cite an example of a perq or benefit that your employer ended. 

Yup...

At an earlier employer I saw the Defined Benefit Pension frozen and a Defined Contribution Plan started. It used to be that if you retired with 25 years or more your medical and dental benefits would continue to be paid by the employer. That changed. Added to that requirement was you had to be 55 or older by a set date to continue to qualify. There were people that had the 25 years but wouldn't reach 55 in time.

There were also the scenarios of when times were good. Before I retired I set and managed the budget. I also was accountable for profit / loss. There were company policies and then there were my discretionary policies. As long as my numbers worked all was good. Just about everything costs the business money. In the early days when we first opened the doors there had been a $50M investment and we had to carry that financial burden. As we acquired customers to offset that expense the discretionary "perks" started to appear based on room in the profit / loss. The guys all got their birthday off with pay. The day you started vacation was a half day. We took everyone to The Keg for a Christmas dinner. Everyone was salaried. On occasion one of the guys would get called in the middle of the night. Even if they were only up say 1:00 to 4:00 in the morning they weren't expected to show up for work at all that day. Lots of places would compensate you for the middle of the night but you were expected to still be on time or at least come in late.

It all works out in the end though.... if someone needed to stay an occasional hour or two late to finish off something important, you didn't have to ask. They just did it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, irv said:

If people are no longer going there, how is that working for him? Yeah, the fire, etc, likely sucked big time for him, I can understand that, but if you want to survive and make a profit, cheapening out on things isn't going to do it. 

Oh he still gets the summer traffic (American fishermen) but the locals are avoiding the place.

12 minutes ago, irv said:

Actually people are still going there.... business has never been better. All last summer he regularly had people waiting for a table. His customer head count is way up after the fire from what it was before the fire.

Sometimes people expect things to not change and as soon as they do they are displeased since it's just not the same. You just can't recreate the same atmosphere that was there in a building that was over 100 years old. Also when you have to rebuild there are lots of building code requirements that you now have to meet that weren't there before.

There's a local cottage country restaurant near us that I used to love. Similar the previous owner didn't have a mortgage... owned outright for years. The new owners took over and had debt to cover so prices went up. The "atmosphere" just wasn't the same. Food was good but it just wasn't what it was for me. I don't go there much anymore. But when you drive by there are more cars in the lot than ever before.

Edited by 02sled

1 hour ago, 02sled said:

Actually people are still going there.... business has never been better. All last summer he regularly had people waiting for a table. His customer head count is way up after the fire from what it was before the fire.

Sometimes people expect things to not change and as soon as they do they are displeased since it's just not the same. You just can't recreate the same atmosphere that was there in a building that was over 100 years old. Also when you have to rebuild there are lots of building code requirements that you now have to meet that weren't there before.

There's a local cottage country restaurant near us that I used to love. Similar the previous owner didn't have a mortgage... owned outright for years. The new owners took over and had debt to cover so prices went up. The "atmosphere" just wasn't the same. Food was good but it just wasn't what it was for me. I don't go there much anymore. But when you drive by there are more cars in the lot than ever before.

Spin it how you like (why so defensive?)

I'm just stating the local feeling on the place since the rebuild. 

No offense to you or your friend intended.

Edited by Bigfish

2 hours ago, Bigfish said:

Spin it how you like (why so defensive?)

I'm just stating the local feeling on the place since the rebuild. 

No offense to you or your friend intended.

It wasn't meant to be defensive. Just stating what he has faced. Most of it an economic impact that needs to be recovered.

1 hour ago, 1trailmaker said:

hasn't the CEO of Hydro salary always been insane?   Don't see how this is WYNNE;S CEO 

Is Patrick going to lower CEO salary to 3 million a year :dunno:   

It will always be an insane amount of money  

Doesn't have to be.... I'm sure if the salary was half what it is there would still be very qualified takers. The province has the ability to roll it back. It's a contract and most of a CEO salary is usually bonus.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/opg-execs-paid-well-compared-to-some-industry-peers-1.2460006

"Earnings and benefits were significantly more generous at OPG than for comparable positions in the Ontario Public Service, and many of OPG's senior executives earned more than most deputy ministers," she reported.

But not only is OPG compensation more generous compared to the province's public sector, it also appears high compared to some other power-generation companies and power authorities near Ontario.

Gil Quinones, the president and CEO of NYPA, makes $251,506 (CAD) in total compensation per year. 

Back in Canada, Thierry Vandal, who holds a variety of positions at Hydro-Quebec including CEO and president, makes an estimated $558,149 in total compensation.

Charles Reid, the B.C. Hydro president, was paid $531,521

CEO Tom Mitchell last year earned a salary of $800,000 and a total compensation of $2,229,768.

I bet we could lure one of those other fully competent individuals away from their current employer for less than $2.23M

3 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

hasn't the CEO of Hydro salary always been insane?   Don't see how this is WYNNE;S CEO 

Is Patrick going to lower CEO salary to 3 million a year :dunno:   

It will always be an insane amount of money  

People complaining about it & has she done anything about it?

Crickets

13 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

no one will or has for a very long time.

CEO salaries are insane 

The Ontario Hydro CEO compared to his peers that are all CEO's of comparable organizations is far and above anyone else's. What makes Ontario Hydro CEO so special compared to the others jobs, skills and responsibilities.  

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, 02sled said:

The Ontario Hydro CEO compared to his peers that are all CEO's of comparable organizations is far and above anyone else's. What makes Ontario Hydro CEO so special compared to the others jobs, skills and responsibilities.  

Well according to a former Energy Minister, Ontario's power distribution system is complex. So much so that the Auditor General couldn't possibly understand it.

25 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Well according to a former Energy Minister, Ontario's power distribution system is complex. So much so that the Auditor General couldn't possibly understand it.

Don't give the auditor General too much credit for knowing the inside and out of all operations the province does 

I am going to say Hydro system is very complex 

This isn't to say we aren't getting ripped off though - The days of subsidized hydro will never be back like it was for our Parents

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

I wonder how much more complex it could be than say Quebec, British Columbia or New York State where it seems they get paid so much less. My money says they could understand it just like the Auditor General who spent years working in that industry could.

Just like most of the Fiberals, a bunch of condescending fools that assume everyone is unable to comprehend something they claim they are able to.

Here's a good educational video for a lot of our provincial government

1 hour ago, 1trailmaker said:

Don't give the auditor General too much credit for knowing the inside and out of all operations the province does 

I am going to say Hydro system is very complex 

This isn't to say we aren't getting ripped off though - The days of subsidized hydro will never be back like it was for our Parents

Bonnie Lysyk MBA, FCPA, FCA, LPA is the Auditor General that the Minister of Energy Bob Chiarelli told hydro was too complex for her to understand although she held a number of senior financial positions with Manitoba Hydro. My money says she understands it better than he does.

Prior to entering politics, Chiarelli ran a community law practice for 18 years. During his break from politics, he served as Vice-Chair of the Royal Ottawa Foundation for Mental Health, member of the board of Peace Camp Ottawa, a fundraising volunteer with Citizen Advocacy and a Senior Fellow in the Graduate School of Public and International Affairs at the University of Ottawa.

1 minute ago, 02sled said:

Bonnie Lysyk MBA, FCPA, FCA, LPA is the Auditor General that the Minister of Energy Bob Chiarelli told hydro was too complex for her to understand although she held a number of senior financial positions with Manitoba Hydro. My money says she understands it better than he does.

Prior to entering politics, Chiarelli ran a community law practice for 18 years. During his break from politics, he served as Vice-Chair of the Royal Ottawa Foundation for Mental Health, member of the board of Peace Camp Ottawa, a fundraising volunteer with Citizen Advocacy and a Senior Fellow in the Graduate School of Public and International Affairs at the University of Ottawa.

lol pencil pushers don't understand all the works of an industry, they look at numbers only.and have never been in the field

The very notion that some pencil neck coming down from Finance department telling the workers how to do a better job is laughable at best 

Are you saying Hydro systems are not complex?  

36 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

lol pencil pushers don't understand all the works of an industry, they look at numbers only.and have never been in the field

The very notion that some pencil neck coming down from Finance department telling the workers how to do a better job is laughable at best 

Are you saying Hydro systems are not complex?  

Yeah let's have an auditor general that has no concept of financial workings, that makes a lot of sense.

Chiarelli bounced around in Cabinet:

From the Ontario gov't website:

Political Career

• Minister of Energy, February 2013 – June 2016
  • Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing, November 2012 – February 2013
  • Minister of Infrastructure and Transportation, October 2011 – February 2013
  • Minister of Infrastructure, August 2010 – October 2011
  • Parliamentary Assistant to the Chair of Management Board of Cabinet, September 1987 – October 1988

I remember the Toronto Star questioning him while he was Minister of Transportation. I think it was about raising speed limits on the 400 series highways. He replied, "I'm not a car guy..." & continued on w/ a non-answer.

Not denying it, but you can look @ this issue two ways.

Either the Ontario CEO is vastly overpaid compared to his peers doing the same work. Or the CEOs elsewhere in the industry are grossly underpaid for their work.

Edited by revrnd

40 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Yeah let's have an auditor general that has no concept of financial workings, that makes a lot of sense.

Chiarelli bounced around in Cabinet:

From the Ontario gov't website:

I remember the Toronto Star questioning him while he was Minister of Transportation. I think it was about raising speed limits on the 400 series highways. He replied, "I'm not a car guy..." & continued on w/ a non-answer.

Not denying it, but you can look @ this issue two ways.

Either the Ontario CEO is vastly overpaid compared to his peers doing the same work. Or the CEOs elsewhere in the industry are grossly underpaid for their work.

who said these guys are overpaid 10 fold :dunno:   That wasn't the topic 

Yes she understands numbers, that doesn't mean she understands the entire Hydro system.  Going back to the comment from the Minister, I think he or any of them could challenge her on many fronts.

Pencil pushers all have the same agenda, this isn't  new 

a kwh was 4.8 cents in 2000 today off peak is 6.5 - that seems normal increase, but the PEAK hours are what is insane.  I would be happy to get rid of the new meters 

2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Fail, whats with the shit snow clearing between Barrie and Vaughan on the 400.  You write the contract?

didn't see it

lots of roads around here are iced up, and you do know salt doesn't work at these temps :dunno: 

lol you complaining about contracted workers :lol:  

2 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

didn't see it

lots of roads around here are iced up, and you do know salt doesn't work at these temps :dunno: 

lol you complaining about contracted workers :lol:  

Roads are great North of Barrie, lots of cars veered off the road and some tipped over cause roads are still snow covered and no salt trucks etc south.

58 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Roads are great North of Barrie, lots of cars veered off the road and some tipped over cause roads are still snow covered and no salt trucks etc south.

some areas didn't get snow last night @ -26c, it was bad out.  Roads get packed from drivers  - road is done until a rise in temp or lots of sunshine

all the concession here are icy, even barrie main streets are icy 

Like I said salt doesn't work at these temps

Looks like OT for the recycling guy, he just picked up ours from Wednesday - he is earning his pay today