The German cars Trump doesn't want

@DriftBusta hey Mark I know you buy used but the optics for a HUUGE Trump supporter like yourself is not good....... I'm thinking you need to step into a Slade so don't look queer in the Benz when you leave the librul confines of Fairfield County and head into Trump country to play :bc:

Made in America: The German cars Trump doesn't want

President Donald Trump has followed up a fractious weekend summit with major US allies by repeatedly accusing them of unfair treatment over trade.

At a news conference in Singapore on Tuesday, he took aim again at a frequent target: German car imports.

"[The European Union doesn't] take a lot of what we have, and yet they send Mercedes in to us, they send BMWs in to us, by the millions," Trump said. "It's very unfair, and it's very unfair to our workers and I'm going to straighten it out."

His complaints about foreign tariffs and trade surpluses are by now familiar. Here are the facts about German cars in the United States:

Trump says there are too many German cars

Trump told French President Emmanuel Macron during a recent meeting in Washington that there are too many German cars in the United States. He's also raised the issue with German Chancellor Angela Merkel in the past, and threatened to tax German car imports at 35%.

Economists say Trump is missing two key points: German automakers have opened big factories in the United States, dramatically reducing their need to import cars. Plus, targeting German carmakers would hurt American workers and the US economy.

German automakers sold 1.35 million vehicles in the United States in 2017, about 8% of total US car sales. Of those, only 494,000 were exported from Germany to the United States — 25% less than in 2013, according to the German carmakers association.

Most of the remainder were made in the United States and in Mexico, which has a free trade agreement with the United States. GM (GM) and Ford (F) also make cars in Mexico for delivery to the United States.

Trump would likely have to pull out of NAFTA, the trade deal between the United States, Mexico and Canada, to prevent automakers from building vehicles in Mexico and shipping them across the border.

German car factories employ Americans

Then there are those German car factories in the United States.

BMW (BMWYY), Volkswagen (VLKAF) and Mercedes, which is owned by Daimler (DDAIF), all have major manufacturing plants in the United States and employ nearly 50,000 American workers.

The largest BMW assembly plant in the world is located in Spartanburg, South Carolina. Last year, it posted a new production record of more than 400,000 vehicles — 70% of which were exported to other countries.

Volkswagen has a large factory in Chattanooga, Tennessee, that produced 112,000 vehicles last year. And Mercedes makes 300,000 cars and SUVs a year in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama.

It's a booming business: The total number of cars produced by German automakers in the United States has increased by 180,000 since 2013 to 804,000, according to the German carmakers association. Half are exported to markets including Europe and Asia.

Vehicles shipped from Europe to the United States face a low 2.5% tariff. Meanwhile, cars built in America face a 10% tariff when they're exported to the European Union.

Europe says it was willing to lower its tariffs on automobiles during recent negotiations with the United States over steel and aluminum tariffs. Europe says the Trump administration walked away.

German automakers would most likely scale back investment in the United States if their products were targeted with increased tariffs. And the European Union would almost certainly respond by increasing tariffs on US autos.

Economists say that the focus on tariffs is misplaced.

New trade barriers would mean major problems for the industry at large, which relies on parts supply chains that cross multiple national borders.

"To make a clear cut distinction between what is an American car and what is a German car is in my opinion nonsense," Jacob Kirkegaard, a European trade expert with the Peterson Institute for International Economics, told CNNMoney last month.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/11/news/economy/german-cars-trump-trade/index.html

Image result for PHILIP RIVERS ESCALADE

Image result for PHILIP RIVERS ESCALADE

• Platinum Contributing Member

Only a half a million cars and all probably high dollar models.  :lol:  

Of those, only 494,000 were exported from Germany to the United States

1 hour ago, racer254 said:

What do the SUV pictures represent? 

Just how stupid the penis headed midget dago shitforbrains is, he thinks Cadillac are now German cars in his pea size brain :lmao: 

7 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

My ML550 was built in the states.  Fair trade is fair trade.  Ill adapt accordingly.

Listen there's too many, so just scrap that motherfucker MAGA!!

Trump told French President Emmanuel Macron during a recent meeting in Washington that there are too many German cars in the United States.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Germans build the best cars imo. 

Depends on how you want to define the best.  Long term reliability with little or no personality, the Japanese have that covered. 

I guess that is how I think builds the best cars, but again, not as much fun (but they are trying to change that a bit).

2 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Cheby, Ferd, and ScoobyDoo at this house.  

Ram, Buick and Polaris assault right here. Always merica first... But I like German cars. :lol:

36 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Depends on how you want to define the best.  Long term reliability with little or no personality, the Japanese have that covered. 

I guess that is how I think builds the best cars, but again, not as much fun (but they are trying to change that a bit).

Yeah....it must be all in the “defining”.  I’m all done with German trash.  Fuck that shit.  Two Toys and a Jeep in my stable right now.  The Jeep won’t make it half as long.

32 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Driving experience, mechanical and engineering excellence.  I prefer the way they handle, drive and how durable the interiors are (Audis don't count on that score imo).  First German car ive ever owned was a new 87 528, and it was so much better than anything American it wasn't even funny.  As far as reliability, the last 4 vehicles Ive owned have been Mercedes, all bought low mile used, and have put well north of 100k on all of them.  They've been uber reliable, and are just over built in many ways compared to American brands.

5 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Driving experience, mechanical and engineering excellence.  I prefer the way they handle, drive and how durable the interiors are (Audis don't count on that score imo).  First German car ive ever owned was a new 87 528, and it was so much better than anything American it wasn't even funny.  As far as reliability, the last 4 vehicles Ive owned have been Mercedes, all bought low mile used, and have put well north of 100k on all of them.  They've been uber reliable, and are just over built in many ways compared to American brands.

If money wasn't an issue: Land Cruiser

That'd push the stool in of all those German lunch boxes on wheels.  

11 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

I'm wondering if snakey and wolfie sold their german brands already :lol:

45 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Germans build the best cars imo. 

It's a placebo.

38 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

A GM small block that can go 50,000 miles between oil changes and still run at 250,000 miles.

31 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

All of these America first faggots are all driving foreign shit. Go figure. 

You know there are a few here who actually have ridiculed my buying of fleets of Made in the USA vehicles, I was Making America Great Again all while these faggots touted there Jap and Kraut mobiles..........Now Trump has my back in vilifying these phony MAGA's :thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

It's a placebo.

A GM small block that can go 50,000 miles between oil changes and still run at 250,000 miles.

You know there are a few here who actually have ridiculed my buying of fleets of Made in the USA vehicles, I was Making America Great Again all while these faggots touted there Jap and Kraut mobiles..........Now Trump has my back in vilifying these phony MAGA's :thumbsup:

What good does the motor do if the rest of the vehicle is shot?

4 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

It's a placebo.

Save it Vincenzo.  All 4 of my Mercedes and even my Toyota were manufactured domestically.  We've been getting boned on trade for 40 years and its been the major driver in the decline of middle class wages.  If it needs to be recalibrated, lets get it done.  Our trading partners already know they are facing a far tougher negotiator than Obama.  That cant be denied.

1 minute ago, racinfarmer said:

What good does the motor do if the rest of the vehicle is shot?

Whew, after my two fine German engineering experiences, I’ll take a GM truck anyday of the week over any BMW.  I couldn’t get rid of the second one fast enough.  Come to think of it, first one too!

13 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Whew, after my two fine German engineering experiences, I’ll take a GM truck anyday of the week over any BMW.  I couldn’t get rid of the second one fast enough.  Come to think of it, first one too!

The right E30 or E36 series and I'd be all over it for LeMons or Chump Car.