"Will exceed all gas sports cars in every way"

Sitting on a plane I just read an interview with musk. No doubt the man is a brilliant engineer and innovator. But like many geniuses who deal in scientific method he can't seem to rationalize human emotion and behavior and therefore does not have much success in realtionships. Interesting dude and visionary. 

On 6/10/2018 at 12:59 PM, spin_dry said:

I couldn’t disagree more. The energy density of LIB has more than doubled since 2013. That’s an amazing increase when compared to all the preceding years. A lot of that advancement is because of Tesla and it’s lab and work with vendors. The LIB is termed to max out on energy denisity in 2 years. Panasonic predicts another 30% before the maximum safe level of energy density is reached. There’s some work on lithium air batteries that blows away LI. But the life expectancy isn’t there yet. Point being, battery technology is advancing rapidly at the moment and there’s a lot of financial incentive to do so. 

Good post.

6 hours ago, Nazipigdog said:

Sitting on a plane I just read an interview with musk. No doubt the man is a brilliant engineer and innovator. But like many geniuses who deal in scientific method he can't seem to rationalize human emotion and behavior and therefore does not have much success in realtionships. Interesting dude and visionary. 

Mr. Musk does not have an engineering degree per say, he holds degrees in Physics and Economics from the University of Pennsylvania, few dispute his assertion, in response to his focus on technical details as CEO of Tesla and Space X, "I'm an engineer, so what I do is engineering. That's what I'm good at." Even as a CEO, his close involvement with design, engineering, and critical technical decisions is unique amongst his peers, stating that he doesn't "know how they make any kind of sensible decision." This echoes an axiom of successful innovation from Bell Labs, recalled by Jon Gertner's panoramic history The Idea Factory, that leadership should have technical competency, from first-line managers all the way to CEO. This in no way diminishes Musk's focus on the marketing and business side of his companies, critical to their initial startup and sustained growth. As a practical engineer, he recognizes that particularly in clean tech, a technical success that fails in the market makes little impact on addressing current societal issues. As he puts it in an automobile magazine interview (August 2012), he references his approach with Tesla: