Here's How America's Biggest Companies Are Spending Their Trump Tax Cuts (It's Not on New Jobs)

Here's How America's Biggest Companies Are Spending Their Trump Tax Cuts (It's Not on New Jobs)

We’re starting to learn what America’s biggest companies are doing with the huge windfalls from President Donald Trump’s tax cuts. And the answer is great for investors – but not so great for workers. 

That’s because many companies are returning huge portions of their billions in tax savings to shareholders in the form of share buybacks and dividend increases — not necessarily new hiring and investment. 

Companies are on track to plow a record $1 trillion into boosting dividends and buying back their own stock this year, says Howard Silverblatt, senior index analyst S&P Dow Jones Indices. 

Buybacks are a strategy to boost stock prices – by reducing the number of shares outstanding, which artificially increases a company’s earning per share. But they do little to improve the economy. 

http://time.com/money/5267940/companies-spending-trump-tax-cuts-stock-buybacks/

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, steve from amherst said:

So when 401k's go up that's a bad thing?

$1 trillion into boosting dividends

:thumbsup:

Stock buy-backs are a good thing.  Nay...A GREAT THING!!!!

I notice the article didn’t mention how many new hires are on the books in the last year.  Huh!  Weird!

Poor MC.  Hatred fueling hatred...with no outlet but a crying closet.  :lol:

Oh...and poor TIME.   :lmao:

560A922E-E91E-4161-A872-C36D9B3F36BB.jpeg

• Haha 1

Tough to hire new people when the drug test failure rate in the rust belt is upwards of 80%.  There are literally thousands of good paying blue collar jobs sitting unfilled.  Don't worry, minimum wage will be $15 a hour soon. 

My taxes went down several thousand per year. Also the corp tax rate is now competitive. It was a decent tax cut bill. Should have went further simplifying the tax code though 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

My taxes went down several thousand per year. Also the corp tax rate is now competitive. It was a decent tax cut bill. Should have went further simplifying the tax code though 

How do you know that?

7 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

Your taxes went down several grand

It's pretty fucking easy to calculate 120k taxable between this year and last year.

6 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

Remember the days when ben was anti big business? Now look at him. Might as well go looking for a job on wall or k street

:news:

I'm anti government. Less tax is better and less govt spending would be even better yet. 

Just now, Angry ginger said:

yet you were supposedly  pro bernie who was 100% the opposite of all that.  

Do you really need this explained to you for the 150000 time? 

4 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

big bernie supporter to a trump puppet,  SMH.  

He’s as bad as racer

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

It's pretty fucking easy to calculate 120k taxable between this year and last year.

Since you’ve been acting like racer I thought you were dumb enough to think your taxes went down in 2017 when the new plan doesn’t go into effect until this year. 

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I'm anti government. Less tax is better and less govt spending would be even better yet. 

Except for HC.  :lol:  

3 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

Why are you doing with your tax cuts skidmark? I bet you’re hiring more and pay increases for all :lol:

In all seriousness.   33% went for increased bonus' at xmas (even though the tax cut won't go into effect yhet)   33% went to keeping employee's HI cost the same.   I've also expanded workforce by 20% since January.   Got anything else smart to question me on or you want me to continue making you look like a jackass?

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 3