509 Helmet Fidlock users?

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Ahhh....post op types then?  Got it.  :bc:

Can still do anal tho....right?

509 shot is a RIP off. AFX are identical helmets with different stickers for 35% of the price

• Platinum Contributing Member
15 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Anybody use this new helmet from 509 last year?  It looks appealing.  Anybody use it?

I like it...works well.

AFX are ugly designs and no CF.  509 and others have more niceties and have better protection.  Not to mention they are probably the best at designing specifically for sled riders.  I'm not exclusive to them but like the fit and styles.  Shoei or Arai would be my first choice.  They just don't cater to sledders.

Why spend the coin for an AFX?  Just buy an HJC.  Same maker I think.  Hey, if you have a economy head, buy an economy helmet!  :lol: 

Just now, Zambroski said:

AFX are ugly designs and no CF.  509 and others have more niceties and have better protection.  Not to mention they are probably the best at designing specifically for sled riders.  I'm not exclusive to them but like the fit and styles.  Shoei or Arai would be my first choice.  They just don't cater to sledders.

Why spend the coin for an AFX?  Just buy an HJC.  Same maker I think.  Hey, if you have a economy head, buy an economy helmet!  :lol: 

Dude....the AFX and the 509 are the same exact identical helmet. Not the CF one but all others. 

Someone on hcs bought both and could find zero differences

Just now, f7ben said:

Dude....the AFX and the 509 are the same exact identical helmet. Not the CF one but all others. 

Someone on hcs bought both and could find zero differences

I'm not up on the latest of what makes what for whom with helmets.  I know there are only a handful of shell makers anymore.  I think AFX and 509 used the same one in the past.  New lids are clearly different though.

6 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I'm not up on the latest of what makes what for whom with helmets.  I know there are only a handful of shell makers anymore.  I think AFX and 509 used the same one in the past.  New lids are clearly different though.

It's been a year or more since I looked. At the time the AFX was like 109$ and 509 was trying to charge 250 for what was blatantly the identical helmet with different stickers. At that point I knew 509 would never put a helmet on my head.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Bell Moto9 Flex

/thread

Just now, f7ben said:

It's been a year or more since I looked. At the time the AFX was like 109$ and 509 was trying to charge 250 for what was blatantly the identical helmet with different stickers. At that point I knew 509 would never put a helmet on my head.

Yeah...I try not to pay extra for identical shit too.  But there are clear differences on the inside of helmets.  Just because the shell is made the same by the same manu, doesn't mean the inside is the same.  it's the "oil is oil" argument that doesn't work anymore.  Quality designs, better materials, lower weights just cost more.  How much more  depends on the user.  They fit my melon well so, don't see any reason to change.  If I don't have one by Haydays, I'll try on some different brands.

4 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Yeah...I try not to pay extra for identical shit too.  But there are clear differences on the inside of helmets.  Just because the shell is made the same by the same manu, doesn't mean the inside is the same.  it's the "oil is oil" argument that doesn't work anymore.  Quality designs, better materials, lower weights just cost more.  How much more  depends on the user.  They fit my melon well so, don't see any reason to change.  If I don't have one by Haydays, I'll try on some different brands.

Last summer I bought a Polaris mx helmet. It was a  brand new factory blem because it had a snag in the ear pad fabric. Paid $20 shipped for it on Ebay and it's perfect for me lolz

2 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

They are the helmets that fit my airhead the best.  

Owww....you chose fit and function over style?  You are doing it wrong.  You should read "Posing for Dummies".

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Last summer I bought a Polaris mx helmet. It was a  brand new factory blem because it had a snag in the ear pad fabric. Paid $20 shipped for it on Ebay and it's perfect for me lolz

Nothing feels better than a good deal.  NOT EVEN SEX.  Well, not drunken sex anyway...who has that kind of time anyway?  :lol:

Nothing feels better than a good deal.  NOT EVEN SEX.  Well, not drunken sex anyway...who has that kind of time anyway?  :lol:

I'm addicted to trying to extract value out of my money. Not sure why....not every cares about it. I just hate overpaying 

Owww....you chose fit and function over style?  You are doing it wrong.  You should read "Posing for Dummies".

For sled helmets, the style is as much orange as I can get from a Bell, Fly, Shoei or the like.  Might try a Cat Just1 helmet depending on the discount I can get.  

6 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I'm addicted to trying to extract value out of my money. Not sure why....not every cares about it. I just hate overpaying 

Dude, my dad taught me how to stretch a penny over a mile.  I'm more efficient..getting closer to two now.  :lol: My wife says I'm cheap...I say I'm frugal.  She's probably closer to the truth.  I buy quality and high end shit...I just pay the absolute minimum for it.  WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

For sled helmets, the style is as much orange as I can get from a Bell, Fly, Shoei or the like.  Might try a Cat Just1 helmet depending on the discount I can get.  

I had a chance to pick up a CF Just1 that was worn once (didn't fit his head) for $200.  I said Nawwww.....cuz I'm stooopid.  It's a quality peice for sure.  :bc:

Analer was supposed to get in here with a review on a helmet I was interested in  back in December and he already had one like it but with no miles on it yet.  By now he should have some answers.....:read:

16 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I bought my Carbon Fiber 509 and a pair of goggles from Analer...like new and he gave me a good deal. CF is the only way to fly.

I went from wearing a doo mod2 to the poo mx. Honestly after wearing the mod for 8 years or so any mx helmet was like having 2 bricks lifted off my head

23 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I bought my Carbon Fiber 509 and a pair of goggles from Analer...like new and he gave me a good deal. CF is the only way to fly.

Yeah...that's what I have now.  2.5lbs.  NICE.