****Official IndyCar Thread****

20 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Only 4 cars on the lead lap and 3rd place Scott Dixon is 40 seconds behind....what is the point of a race like this? 

I'm sure part of it are the circumstances.  Can really throw a person off when faced with the harsh realities of their passion of choice.  

• Platinum Contributing Member

So only Rossi, Power and Dixon aren't bothered by Wickens crash?  

I get what you are saying but I think a a whole the series just isn't that competitive.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

The Alabama gang , Bobby and Donnie Allison both drove the Indy 500 and some USAC races back in the day. I believe  Donnie has the best record that still stands today in finishes while doing both francecar and open wheel . Could be wrong ??    Donnie Allison at Indy. http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/10562421/nascar-donnie-allison-stands-best-do-double   :read:

Edited by hwytohell

21 minutes ago, hwytohell said:

The Alabama gang , Bobby and Donnie Allison both drove the Indy 500 and some USAC races back in the day. I believe  Donnie has the best record that still stands today in finishes while doing both francecar and open wheel . Could be wrong ??    Donnie Allison at Indy. http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/10562421/nascar-donnie-allison-stands-best-do-double   :read:

That was good read...those Super Modifieds sound badass! 

3 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

So only Rossi, Power and Dixon aren't bothered by Wickens crash?  

I get what you are saying but I think a a whole the series just isn't that competitive.

Probably a bit of both. 

The goodish news, which I find to be completely amazing, is Wickens appears to only have major injuries to appendages. 

That he doesn't have spinal or head injuries just blows me away.  

Just now, racinfarmer said:

Probably a bit of both. 

The goodish news, which I find to be completely amazing, is Wickens appears to only have major injuries to appendages. 

That he doesn't have spinal or head injuries just blows me away.  

That is good news and amazing...was a wicked hit.

Sebastien Bourdais almost didn't get back in the car after the red flag....he was very unhappy about the repairs made to the fencing and thought it unsafe to race.

20 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

That is good news and amazing...was a wicked hit.

Sebastien Bourdais almost didn't get back in the car after the red flag....he was very unhappy about the repairs made to the fencing and thought it unsafe to race.

When you watch the replay in slow-mo after the car comes around from the hit the really destroys the rear of the car, you can see his helmet/head slumped over for most of the rest of the wreck.  Failed belts/mounts and/or HANS, etc.  Stuff will stretch a unbelievable amount, but damn.  

When I saw that, I thought for sure we'd be hearing much worse news then we did, so far.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

The language used to describe his spinal injury is a bit frightening....scary stuff.

It certainly is.  Even something like spinal swelling can lead to long term paralysis.  

I'm hopeful that in my lifetime, a spinal injury will not be a long term life changing injury, and I believe that will happen.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

It certainly is.  Even something like spinal swelling can lead to long term paralysis.  

I'm hopeful that in my lifetime, a spinal injury will not be a long term life changing injury, and I believe that will happen.  

My buddy that got thrown from the horse was millimeters from being in a wheelchair and is now having bone growth issues around the screws and plates in his vertebrae...going to be a lifelong issue..but at least he can walk. 

15 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

The language used to describe his spinal injury is a bit frightening....scary stuff.

I said to my son that he'll heal up and be back in the car next year. But now I'm thinking it'll be hard to find a doctor to sign off letting him back in the car after a spinal injury.

• Like 1

Remember when Dr Terry Trammell traveled with CART? He successfully put a lot of drivers back together. I wonder if IndyCar has an orthopedic surgeon traveling with them now?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sael said:

Remember when Dr Terry Trammell traveled with CART? He successfully put a lot of drivers back together. I wonder if IndyCar has an orthopedic surgeon traveling with them now?

Terry is still around and they also have Dr. Billows.  Don't forget about Steve Olvey either.  

Edited by racinfarmer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sael said:

This accident made think of Trammell and I remembered this article, surprised to find it online. I'm glad to know that there is still a traveling surgeon.

https://www.caranddriver.com/archives/looking-for-dr-goodwrench-archived-feature-a-plate-and-twelve-screws-page-3

Good read.