****Official IndyCar Thread****

12 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

I wonder how the F1 and Indy times will compare at COTA.

Neal

At Montreal many years ago there was a 3 second difference. I don't know the current HP numbers of each type but back then Indy had more HP so higher top speeds but F1 were much faster thru the turns.

At Cota it might be close due to the long straight and good flow from turns 2 to 10.

Wikipedia says 5-7 seconds faster for F1 at Montreal.

"As the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve serves as host to different racing series, it is possible to directly compare different race series' lap times.

In 2002, Formula One driver Juan Pablo Montoya set pole position for the Canadian Grand Prix with a lap time of 1:12.836. Several weeks later, during the inaugural Champ Car Grand Prix of Montreal, Cristiano da Matta set pole position with a lap time of 1:18.959.

In 2006, the last time Champ Car and F1 ran on the same track, Formula One was 5 to 7 seconds faster than Champ Car. The pole position in Formula One was set by Fernando Alonso in a time of 1:14.942, while Sébastien Bourdais set pole in 1:20.005 in Champ Car. The fastest lap in the Formula One race was 1:15.841 by Kimi Räikkönen, while Sébastien Bourdais's fastest lap was 1:22.325 in the Champ Car race."

Edited by 2strokemerc
  • Thanks 2

• Platinum Contributing Member

I was watching Glory Road last night and they were talking about Nascars dirt racing roots and Tony Stewart was talking about his Prelude to The Dream Race and how easily JP Montoya picked up dirt racing a late model considering he had never been on dirt...dude is super talented.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I was watching Glory Road last night and they were talking about Nascars dirt racing roots and Tony Stewart was talking about his Prelude to The Dream Race and how easily JP Montoya picked up dirt racing a late model considering he had never been on dirt...dude is super talented.

I remember Montoya in F1, was fun to watch.

Wickens injury update: wow, serious stuff

In the most detailed announcement yet concerning Verizon IndyCar Series driver Robert Wickens' injuries, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports released more information Thursday evening regarding the driver who was severely injured in a brutal crash on lap 7 of the ABC Supply 500 at Pocono Raceway on Aug. 19.

Among the injuries Wickens sustained were:

• Thoracic spinal fracture
  • Spinal cord injury
  • Neck fracture
  • Tibia and fibula fractures to both legs
  • Fractures in both hands
  • Fractured right forearm
  • Fractured elbow
  • Four fractured ribs
  • Pulmonary contusion

According to SPM, Wickens underwent surgeries this week at IU Health Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis to repair fractures to both of his legs and hands from injuries sustained in the crash. The surgeries were completed without complication.

Read more: https://autoweek.com/article/indycar/robert-wickens-thursday-update-includes-more-injury-details#ixzz5QMh9efPl

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Sael said:

Wickens injury update: wow, serious stuff

In the most detailed announcement yet concerning Verizon IndyCar Series driver Robert Wickens' injuries, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports released more information Thursday evening regarding the driver who was severely injured in a brutal crash on lap 7 of the ABC Supply 500 at Pocono Raceway on Aug. 19.

Among the injuries Wickens sustained were:

• Thoracic spinal fracture
  • Spinal cord injury
  • Neck fracture
  • Tibia and fibula fractures to both legs
  • Fractures in both hands
  • Fractured right forearm
  • Fractured elbow
  • Four fractured ribs
  • Pulmonary contusion

According to SPM, Wickens underwent surgeries this week at IU Health Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis to repair fractures to both of his legs and hands from injuries sustained in the crash. The surgeries were completed without complication.

Read more: https://autoweek.com/article/indycar/robert-wickens-thursday-update-includes-more-injury-details#ixzz5QMh9efPl

Damn that is awful...wow. 

Sounds like he is paralyzed.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

On 9/6/2018 at 6:03 PM, Jimmy Snacks said:

Damn that is awful...wow. 

Sounds like he is paralyzed.

On 9/6/2018 at 6:17 PM, 2strokemerc said:

Yup, that doesn't sound good.

There is also the possibility it is swelling around the spine, and as the swelling subsides, somethings years later, he'll regain use of his appendages again.

That being said, I believe he will walk and possibly race again with future advances in medical technology.  

• Like 2

https://www.indycar.com/News/2018/09/09-16-Wickens-update-video

For the first time since his Aug. 19 incident at Pocono Raceway, Robert Wickens shared a message with his fans Sunday on Twitter prior to the final race of the Verizon IndyCar Series season.

“It’s obviously been a long time since I’ve posted anything on social media,” Wickens said in the video. “I just wanted to say all of your kind words and all of your positivity has meant the absolute world to me and my family. I’m in rehab now, trying to get back to 100 percent as quickly as possible.

“I don’t know what the future holds for me. It’s going to be a very long road to recovery, and all I can is I’m going to promise you guys I’m going to work as hard as possible and train as hard as possible to make sure I’m back in a race car as quickly as possible. That’s all I can say for now.”

Wickens also said he’d be watching the INDYCAR Grand Prix of Sonoma on television, and he wished everyone luck. Thanks to four podium and 10 top-10 finishes, he locked up the Sunoco Rookie of the Year award despite missing the final three races of the year.

The severity of the spinal cord injury Wickens sustained in the incident remains indeterminate and under evaluation. In a release Sept. 6, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports said physicians stress it could take weeks or months for the full effects of the injury to be known. Wickens also sustained fractures in both legs, both hands, his right forearm, elbow and in four ribs.

“We want to thank everyone for the outpouring of love, prayers and positive energy that has been sent our way since Robert’s accident,” the Wickens family said in a statement then. “We are blown away by the strength of this INDYCAR community and the support within it. While Robert’s recovery and rehabilitation continue over the coming weeks and months, your loving messages will certainly be a source of encouragement for him.”

Watch Wickens' video post on Twitter here:

Edited by 2strokemerc
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, 2strokemerc said:

https://www.indycar.com/News/2018/09/09-16-Wickens-update-video

For the first time since his Aug. 19 incident at Pocono Raceway, Robert Wickens shared a message with his fans Sunday on Twitter prior to the final race of the Verizon IndyCar Series season.

“It’s obviously been a long time since I’ve posted anything on social media,” Wickens said in the video. “I just wanted to say all of your kind words and all of your positivity has meant the absolute world to me and my family. I’m in rehab now, trying to get back to 100 percent as quickly as possible.

“I don’t know what the future holds for me. It’s going to be a very long road to recovery, and all I can is I’m going to promise you guys I’m going to work as hard as possible and train as hard as possible to make sure I’m back in a race car as quickly as possible. That’s all I can say for now.”

Wickens also said he’d be watching the INDYCAR Grand Prix of Sonoma on television, and he wished everyone luck. Thanks to four podium and 10 top-10 finishes, he locked up the Sunoco Rookie of the Year award despite missing the final three races of the year.

The severity of the spinal cord injury Wickens sustained in the incident remains indeterminate and under evaluation. In a release Sept. 6, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports said physicians stress it could take weeks or months for the full effects of the injury to be known. Wickens also sustained fractures in both legs, both hands, his right forearm, elbow and in four ribs.

“We want to thank everyone for the outpouring of love, prayers and positive energy that has been sent our way since Robert’s accident,” the Wickens family said in a statement then. “We are blown away by the strength of this INDYCAR community and the support within it. While Robert’s recovery and rehabilitation continue over the coming weeks and months, your loving messages will certainly be a source of encouragement for him.”

Watch Wickens' video post on Twitter here:

It always amazes me that these drivers can suffer such horrific life threatening/altering  injuries and all they want to do is get back in the car.