Furnace and Central air warranty/protection plan?

I asked this in the Ontario section, but thought I'd ask here as well. Keep in mind, this is Canada so things may be different stateside, I don't know?

In January of 2017 we had a new Furnace and Central air installed. We chose Daikin mainly due to their 12 yr warranty on both. The salesman stated, to keep the warranty valid, we would need to have both serviced once annually. We agreed to this (without thinking much) and signed up for it. Just doing some math the other day, I realized, with what we are paying, in 12 years we could almost afford another new furnace!

I understand most things, like vehicles, need oil changes, etc, to keep the warranties up, but I am really perplexed why we are paying what we are ($270 yr/txs in) on units that have 12 years warranty when we were paying less (just on our prior furnace) that had zero warranty? I called last fall to have our furnace serviced/cleaned and the lady on the phone told me, $140 for that, to which I replied, we have HIP coverage. It was just for the furnace, not the A/C. 

I'm curious, if we had a problem and didn't pay for coverage or have our units serviced, when would Daikin refuse warranty work considering it's 12 year warranty coverage? Personally, I am thinking about dropping the whole thing and just having our furnace cleaned/serviced once a year and forget about the A/C, as, imo, it is rare something goes wrong with them. Thoughts on this? Paying $270 a year works out to $3240 over 12 years, which equals almost another brand new furnace. 

You are getting fucked. Read your warranty information that came with the furnace from the manufacture for  a straight answer. I have been working in the commercial  and industrial HVAC refrigeration industry in Ontario for 30 + years.  Residential hvac sale man are usually  paid by commission and would fuck over there own Mother for dollar.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TallCool 1 said:

You are getting fucked. Read your warranty information that came with the furnace from the manufacture for  a straight answer. I have been working in the commercial  and industrial HVAC refrigeration industry in Ontario for 30 + years.  Residential hvac sale man are usually  paid by commission and would fuck over there own Mother for dollar.

Kinda what I figured! I will give it a good read tomorrow and figure out what it says. I appreciate the info. Thanks! 

Edit: I found this just now looking. Sounds like I need annual mtce in order to keep up the warranty coverage. I am really having second thoughts with A/C coverage, however, but is that a good idea to drop that? As far as I know, A/C units usually don't cause one a whole lot of grief, but maybe things have changed and I need to keep it?

"How Can The Owner Receive Warranty Service?
If there is a problem with the unit, contact a licensed contractor.
To receive a replacement unit when applicable, a licensed
contractor must bring the unit to a Daikin heating and air
conditioning products distributor. If the owner is asked, the owner
must certify that (1) a licensed contractor maintained the unit
annually, and (2) the owner kept written records of that annual
maintenance."

Edited by irv

• Platinum Contributing Member

My major appliances are covered in my Homeowners Policy.  Its saved me around $15G to date on 2 geo units alone.     

Complete waste of money and you need a new HVAC contractor.

The local guy put in my new Daiken a/c and furnace.  Said he didn't want to see it for 2 years.  I'm sure if anything happens within the 12 year warranty he will cover me.  I'm having him out this year after 2 years just to have things checked out.  

9 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

Complete waste of money and you need a new HVAC contractor.

The local guy put in my new Daiken a/c and furnace.  Said he didn't want to see it for 2 years.  I'm sure if anything happens within the 12 year warranty he will cover me.  I'm having him out this year after 2 years just to have things checked out.  

That's funny! My sister and BIL had a new furnace installed this past November/December by the same company (and the same salesman involved). (We referred them) Talking to my sister about what they pay monthly for warranty just yesterday, she said nothing, as that is exactly what the salesman told her/them. Don't worry about any protection/program for 2 years or until 2019/2020.

This is the purpose of my post. I phoned and talked to the salesman yesterday and he denies saying that after I asked him why we are paying $270 a year and you told my sister and BIL not to worry about anything for 2 years? I am going to call around and see what I can get and hopefully it is a much better deal than what I am currently paying as I'd like to drop this A hole quickly! 

I appreciate the info. Thanks! :bc: