Furnace and Central air warranty/protection plan?

irv

In January of 2017 we had a new Furnace and Central air installed. We chose Daikin mainly due to their 12 yr warranty on both. The salesman stated, to keep the warranty valid, we would need to have both serviced once annually. We agreed to this (without thinking much) and signed up for it. Just doing some math the other day, I realized, with what we are paying, in 12 years we could almost afford another new furnace!

I understand most things, like vehicles, need oil changes, etc, to keep the warranties up, but I am really perplexed why we are paying what we are ($270 yr/txs in) on units that have 12 years warranty when we were paying less (just on our prior furnace) that had zero warranty? I called last fall to have our furnace serviced/cleaned and the lady on the phone told me, $140 for that, to which I replied, we have HIP coverage. It was just for the furnace, not the A/C. 

I'm curious, if we had a problem and didn't pay for coverage or have our units serviced, when would Daikin refuse warranty work considering it's 12 year warranty coverage? Personally, I am thinking about dropping the whole thing and just having our furnace cleaned/serviced once a year and forget about the A/C, as, imo, it is rare something goes wrong with them. Thoughts on this? Paying $270 a year works out to $3240 over 12 years, which equals almost another brand new furnace. 

16 minutes ago, irv said:

In January of 2017 we had a new Furnace and Central air installed. We chose Daikin mainly due to their 12 yr warranty on both. The salesman stated, to keep the warranty valid, we would need to have both serviced once annually. We agreed to this (without thinking much) and signed up for it. Just doing some math the other day, I realized, with what we are paying, in 12 years we could almost afford another new furnace!

I understand most things, like vehicles, need oil changes, etc, to keep the warranties up, but I am really perplexed why we are paying what we are ($270 yr/txs in) on units that have 12 years warranty when we were paying less (just on our prior furnace) that had zero warranty? I called last fall to have our furnace serviced/cleaned and the lady on the phone told me, $140 for that, to which I replied, we have HIP coverage. It was just for the furnace, not the A/C. 

I'm curious, if we had a problem and didn't pay for coverage or have our units serviced, when would Daikin refuse warranty work considering it's 12 year warranty coverage? Personally, I am thinking about dropping the whole thing and just having our furnace cleaned/serviced once a year and forget about the A/C, as, imo, it is rare something goes wrong with them. Thoughts on this? Paying $270 a year works out to $3240 over 12 years, which equals almost another brand new furnace. 

My original furnace shit the bed after 18 years, the A/C is still good after 20.  I have zero concern and have no problem paying if it breaks down due to my neglect.  You will pay for it over again and then buy a new furnace anyways. 

Suckers needed.

Edited by ArcticCrusher

These guys want you to believe these furnaces are rocket science, they are not.  Once you learn the basics of how a Furnace works they are all more or less the same and all suffer from the same common problems.  Everyone gets scared because "it's gas", you are not touching the gas line and there are so many safety mechanisms in place which are often the parts that fail.   Having talked to some of these so called "hvac experts" half of them don't really know what they are doing anyways and are often feeding you bullshit.  This past winter my blower capacitor blew, I fixed it myself with a new capacitor for $2.  A few days later the blower itself died due to the damage from the blown cap.  I picked up a new pcm blower motor and a new cap for $80 and had it back up and running in 2 hrs.  I am not a trades person, I just like to problem solve the info is all out there on the net.  Getting the parts is sometimes a challenge but I find most places will sell them without issue as long as it is not something like refrigerant that requires a license.  Paying for some bs maintenance contract is a waste of money, I don't see how the manufacturer will not honor the warranty.

59 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

My original furnace shit the bed after 18 years, the A/C is still good after 20.  I have zero concern and have no problem paying if it breaks down due to my neglect.  You will pay for it over again and then buy a new furnace anyways. 

Suckers needed.

I usually don't purchase extended warranties on anything but figured, in order to maintain the warranties on these, I'd agree to this, plus I've always had some sort of plan when it came to furnaces since our very first house. The A/C coverage, which I have never had, and have never had a problem with any of the prior ones, has me really thinking I am definitely going to drop coverage on this one. I know very little about them and what all can go wrong, but I assume just checking the charge once a year is about it? I keep them clean and level but any we have had, one for 10 yrs and another for 16, weren't looked at once. Still thinking, but I was offered a 10% discount today on the coverage.

4 minutes ago, rjd75 said:

These guys want you to believe these furnaces are rocket science, they are not.  Once you learn the basics of how a Furnace works they are all more or less the same and all suffer from the same common problems.  Everyone gets scared because "it's gas", you are not touching the gas line and there are so many safety mechanisms in place which are often the parts that fail.   Having talked to some of these so called "hvac experts" half of them don't really know what they are doing anyways and are often feeding you bullshit.  This past winter my blower capacitor blew, I fixed it myself with a new capacitor for $2.  A few days later the blower itself died due to the damage from the blown cap.  I picked up a new pcm blower motor and a new cap for $80 and had it back up and running in 2 hrs.  I am not a trades person, I just like to problem solve the info is all out there on the net.  Getting the parts is sometimes a challenge but I find most places will sell them without issue as long as it is not something like refrigerant that requires a license.  Paying for some bs maintenance contract is a waste of money, I don't see how the manufacturer will not honor the warranty.

That's what I don't get either? It does state, however, to honor the warranty fully, an annual service call must be completed. I could understand it if your furnace hadn't been touched in some years and was absolutely disgusting with dirt inside, filter plugged, etc, , but I don't know how they could deny if some major component went that has nothing to with upkeep/cleaning? 

11 minutes ago, rjd75 said:

No they are not really and the safeties are not very complicated either.  I replaced the flame sensor twice on mine and then one of the main boards went in the end, not worth fixing at that point when it reached the end of its like.

5 minutes ago, irv said:

That's what I don't get either? It does state, however, to honor the warranty fully, an annual service call must be completed. I could understand it if your furnace hadn't been touched in some years and was absolutely disgusting with dirt inside, filter plugged, etc, , but I don't know how they could deny if some major component went that has nothing to with upkeep/cleaning? 

My furnace installer never said anything about requiring annual service to keep the warranty.  Is that from the manufacturer or the installer?  Either way I will take a chance.

13 minutes ago, rjd75 said:

These guys want you to believe these furnaces are rocket science, they are not.  Once you learn the basics of how a Furnace works they are all more or less the same and all suffer from the same common problems.  Everyone gets scared because "it's gas", you are not touching the gas line and there are so many safety mechanisms in place which are often the parts that fail.   Having talked to some of these so called "hvac experts" half of them don't really know what they are doing anyways and are often feeding you bullshit.  This past winter my blower capacitor blew, I fixed it myself with a new capacitor for $2.  A few days later the blower itself died due to the damage from the blown cap. motor blower an I picked up a new pcm d a new cap for $80 and had it back up and running in 2 hrs.  I am not a trades person, I just like to problem solve the info is all out there on the net.  Getting the parts is sometimes a challenge but I find most places will sell them without issue as long as it is not something like refrigerant that requires a license.  Paying for some bs maintenance contract is a waste of money, I don't see how the manufacturer will not honor the warranty.

You are not supposed to be able to buy gas furnace parts unless you hold a valid gas license. Suppliers will not sell parts around here unless you are  a licensed gas fitter

18 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

My furnace installer never said anything about requiring annual service to keep the warranty.  Is that from the manufacturer or the installer?  Either way I will take a chance.

Both, I believe? I am going to read the manuals and see exactly what it says as I am unclear, but I believe there is mention of it somewhere? I would assume any qualified/licensed service tech to check the furnace and/or A/C and that would be all we'd need? 

1 hour ago, brother groove said:

You are not supposed to be able to buy gas furnace parts unless you hold a valid gas license. Suppliers will not sell parts around here unless you are  a licensed gas fitter

you can buy an entire furnace on-line delivered 

Some suppliers only sell to licensed trades - plumbing, electrical, hvac ect 

Most service guys today don't want to fix anything (they are told this by the employer) , all they do is say "you need a new furnace"  

2 hours ago, brother groove said:

A furnace really isn't that complicated if someone wants to get into the basic circuit.  Replacing a defective sensor is pretty much the same whether it is on a car or a furnace.

48 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

Most service guys today don't want to fix anything (they are told this by the employer) , all they do is say "you need a new furnace"  

Get on Amazon.  I replaced the main control board in my POS GE gas stove after the glow bar shorted it out, just after the 1 year warranty on a $3600 stove expired.  Local cock suckers wanted 1K for the part plus install, no way Jose.  At some point you gotta do it yourself, I think it was $150.

board.thumb.jpg.8ecc1b8a61d7791800f7d3728b915620.jpg

36 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Get on Amazon.  I replaced the main control board in my POS GE gas stove after the glow bar shorted it out, just after the 1 year warranty on a $3600 stove expired.  Local cock suckers wanted 1K for the part plus install, no way Jose.  At some point you gotta do it yourself, I think it was $150.

board.thumb.jpg.8ecc1b8a61d7791800f7d3728b915620.jpg

Wife called a furnace guy, told her not too she did anyway - lucky I got home before  he came, I said the induction fan is making a noise - oh that will be $800 and I see some condensation if it happens when I fire it up YOU GET A RED TAG,  you will need a new furnace plus pay for the induction fan :lmao:   

Thanks but NO you can leave now, google for the fan and found it for $189

Once I took the old one off 4 screws there was a bird that got sucked in, that was the noise lol 

so far another 3 years going strong - I hate service guys 

We were looking at replacing the hot water tank to a boiler and called an outfit. The guy shows up and checks it out and says it should be good for another 2-3 years and no sense spending the money till it breaks down. Sounds logical but we called him because it wasn't practical and wanted it changed. We called another outfit and switched it and have cut down our consumption to half. It'll pay for itself in no time

47 minutes ago, smokin george said:

We were looking at replacing the hot water tank to a boiler and called an outfit. The guy shows up and checks it out and says it should be good for another 2-3 years and no sense spending the money till it breaks down. Sounds logical but we called him because it wasn't practical and wanted it changed. We called another outfit and switched it and have cut down our consumption to half. It'll pay for itself in no time

Rental?

3 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Rental?

No. The original owner used a big hot water tank for the infloor and hot water. It might've been cheaper but not efficient. We have a 40 gal tank now on a timer for hot water and the boiler for the infloor

20170302_201245.jpg

6 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I found this. Guess I may be keeping this warranty a while yet, or at least on the furnace? Is it a general rule of thumb that A/C units don't usually cause one grief? I have never once had a problem with one and I've never had one serviced or needing service before. It surprises me the A/C warranty costs are slightly more than my furnace. I would assume the furnace would cost more and have more breakable/expensive parts than an A/C unit, but maybe my lack of knowledge is showing? 

""How Can The Owner Receive Warranty Service?
If there is a problem with the unit, contact a licensed contractor.
To receive a replacement unit when applicable, a licensed
contractor must bring the unit to a Daikin heating and air
conditioning products distributor. If the owner is asked, the owner
must certify that (1) a licensed contractor maintained the unit
annually, and (2) the owner kept written records of that annual
maintenance."

6 hours ago, brother groove said:

Already stated, but you can, just depends on the retailer and who they will sell too.

Not a house furnace, but I have a Mr Heater gas heater in the garage, call tech support due a problem, we did some testing over the phone and they had a dealer from the Oakville area mail me the parts that I needed to replace myself to resolve the problem.

As for the house furnace, the parts should have a set warranty regardless of who installed it or what maintenance schedule you follow, so they will be covered under the manufacture parts warranty, you may need to pay the labour piece if you did a self install or did not follow the installers "recommended" maintenance schedule....

The furnaces pretty much tells you what is wrong anyways, or points you in the general direction with the diagnoses light and the number of flashes it does.

There is no is no law that says you can't buy a Furnace or parts or whatever.  I buy this stuff all the time, it is a myth.  I buy stuff, I call the manufacturer for support without issue, i get stuff replaced under warranty without issue.  Just like the myth you will void your car warranty if you don't do all of the ridiculous maintenance recommended by the dealer or the manual. Total BS.

18 hours ago, brother groove said:

this is not true. you can work on your own furnace and its against the law not too sell to an owner

17 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

they get a bonus with every new furnace sold

16 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

A furnace really isn't that complicated if someone wants to get into the basic circuit.  Replacing a defective sensor is pretty much the same whether it is on a car or a furnace.

furnaces are expensive to repair now

10 minutes ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

this is not true. you can work on your own furnace and its against the law not too sell to an owner

they get a bonus with every new furnace sold

furnaces are expensive to repair now

tell me where you can buy a gas valve for your furnace, my supplier requires a gas fitter license to sell one!

5 minutes ago, brother groove said:

tell me where you can buy a gas valve for your furnace, my supplier requires a gas fitter license to sell one!

they can say that you cant buy one but its not legal

2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

4 minutes ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

They can say whatever they want, they can also go fuck themselves.  Several years back, before they became popular I was looking into an internet thermostat and came across EcoBee.  A Canadian company and found they would not sell direct to Canadians cause they required, get this a thermostat to be installed by a licensed certified HVAC installer, although had no same restrictions in the US and at twice the cost just for the unit.  Get real.

Amazon is your friend.

11 minutes ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

Perhaps a Mooslem or two queers can take them to the human rights tribunal for refusing to sell to them.:lol: