welding question .....asking the pro's only!!!!!111111

I bought a muffler that I want to have welded into the straight pipe I have for the Z1

Straight pipe appears to just be mild steel ....the only muffler I could find with the proper dimensions was stainless.....now the tricky part

I know its not uncommon to weld stainless to mild but is this something I should trust a muffler shop to do? Should I take it to a pro welder or is it not a big deal?

I just dont want to bring it to some muffler shop and then have the weld break half way through next season 

1 minute ago, Momorider said:

Get a stainless pipe :) 

I thought of that but it would be much more work. I'd have to have the end properly flared for the exhaust donut , then two o2 sensor bungs welded in place and all of it would need to match the dimensions of the current pipe exactly. Probably cost me a bunch more than just having the muffler cut into the existing pipe

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I thought of that but it would be much more work. I'd have to have the end properly flared for the exhaust donut , then two o2 sensor bungs welded in place and all of it would need to match the dimensions of the current pipe exactly. Probably cost me a bunch more than just having the muffler cut into the existing pipe

A good pro fabrication welder could do it no problem, it would last forever and your a baller what's a few Benjamin's to do it correctly :dunno: 

9 minutes ago, Momorider said:

A good pro fabrication welder could do it no problem, it would last forever and your a baller what's a few Benjamin's to do it correctly :dunno: 

I only paid $35 for the straight pipe and $50 for the stainless muffler. I figure if I can get someone to do a nice job welding them for maybe another $50 or something then I will have a good pipe for short money. 

This sled is a budget build momo.......

24 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I bought a muffler that I want to have welded into the straight pipe I have for the Z1

Straight pipe appears to just be mild steel ....the only muffler I could find with the proper dimensions was stainless.....now the tricky part

I know its not uncommon to weld stainless to mild but is this something I should trust a muffler shop to do? Should I take it to a pro welder or is it not a big deal?

I just dont want to bring it to some muffler shop and then have the weld break half way through next season 

welding metals need to be like materials. nothing but problems if not

2 minutes ago, ATOMIC PUNK said:

welding metals need to be like materials. nothing but problems if not

I read a bunch on the welding forums and it doesnt seem too uncommon to weld mild to stainless? I just dont know the degree of difficulty here. Everyone says to use stainless wire or rod and low or no co2 for gas. I guess maybe the muffler shop is out and I should call a local fab shop and ask 

Just got off the phone with a local fab shop.....they were super nice. Said no issue at all "alloying" mild to stainless. Said they would tig it up and it would not be an issue.

Place is only about 8 miles from my house.....hopefully they do nice work and are reasonable 

45 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Just got off the phone with a local fab shop.....they were super nice. Said no issue at all "alloying" mild to stainless. Said they would tig it up and it would not be an issue.

Place is only about 8 miles from my house.....hopefully they do nice work and are reasonable 

hmmm good luck

7 minutes ago, f7ben said:

You may well be right.....I guess I'll see. If it doesnt work out I'm not out much 

maybe someone has the ability to do it right. My past experience with TIG and dissimilar metals wasn't good. But I aint no professional welder either.. so,...

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

I thought you were some kind of technical Guru or something. 309L filler. Smfh.

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

A straight pipe is ghetto, get a Sandale can they make a great product :bc:

Just now, Mileage Psycho said:

A straight pipe is ghetto, get a Sandale can they make a great product :bc:

The straight pipe actually isnt as loud as I thought it would be.....I'm having a 4" vibrant bullet welded into it that should tone it down a little more even. I cant use a sandale......I have very limited room in the mag side area. I installed the meth kit there. A turbo dynamics can would fit but this pipe I am having made will work just fine

5 hours ago, f7ben said:

Yup. Easy peasy. I wouldn't worry about it. As someone has already said, it's not uncommon.