Sledder killed in avalanche near Togwotee

• Platinum Contributing Member

Killed in an area that is one of our favorite places to ride because its not well known.   Around 12 miles by trail just to get to the turn off.

Sadly they had no avy gear.  24 years old.   God speed young man.  

I've been on that hill probably 30+ times.  :sad:  

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2018/04/23/late-season-avalanche-kills-snowmobiler-in-wyoming/

Edited by Highmark

I can't imagine not having at least the basic safety gear riding in the mountains.  Very immature and disrespectful IMO.  

This time of year there's lot's of slopes that naturally fall with the melt, so you need to be extra careful where you go.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sledderj said:

I can't imagine not having at least the basic safety gear riding in the mountains.  Very immature and disrespectful IMO.  

This time of year there's lot's of slopes that naturally fall with the melt, so you need to be extra careful where you go.  

Yeah this time of year can be bad.   Cool nights and warm sunny days turns the snow to sugar.

I won't ride with anyone in the mountains who doesn't have a beacon, shovel and probe.   Really no excuse.  

Whether or not that would have saved this youngs mans life we probably will never know but why take the chance.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Yeah this time of year can be bad.   Cool nights and warm sunny days turns the snow to sugar.

I won't ride with anyone in the mountains who doesn't have a beacon, shovel and probe.   Really no excuse.  

Whether or not that would have saved this youngs mans life we probably will never know but why take the chance.  

We will never ride without them and I haven't come across anyone who planned to ride with them yet either.  But you are right, it's just another thing that increases your odds of surviving an avy.  Slides this time of year are heavy and you can still get killed by debris even if you have all the best gear.  Not getting caught in one in the first place is the number one safety precaution to take.  :bc:  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sledderj said:

We will never ride without them and I haven't come across anyone who planned to ride with them yet either.  But you are right, it's just another thing that increases your odds of surviving an avy.  Slides this time of year are heavy and you can still get killed by debris even if you have all the best gear.  Not getting caught in one in the first place is the number one safety precaution to take.  :bc:  

Amen on never getting caught in one.   They all set up like concrete but the spring ones are exceptionally bad.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Highmark said:

:bc: