Mobile Hotspots

You mean like a separate device to stream to laptops and stuff?  I used one from ATT for about a year.  It worked much better than trying to stream from a phone.  But that was about 5 years ago.  Not sure what technology is doing now.  I’d do it again though if I had to.  The difference was substantial.

14 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

@Zambroski yeah basically. 

Like I said, it worked well but was only as good as the internet reception.  I downloaded date much faster to my laptop/PC much faster than my phone did.  I think I paid around $80 bucks for it and it required a seperate plan that was around $100 month.  It still sucked compared to landline or certainly didn't touch clost to the 100meg cable I have now...but worked ok in the pinch I was in.  Overages were a bitch though...get that shit right off the start.  I got hosed the first few months pretty bad.

This is what I have but again, like five years ago so, tech has probably gotten much better.

Mobil HS.JPG

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Like I said, it worked well but was only as good as the internet reception.  I downloaded date much faster to my laptop/PC much faster than my phone did.  I think I paid around $80 bucks for it and it required a seperate plan that was around $100 month.  It still sucked compared to landline or certainly didn't touch clost to the 100meg cable I have now...but worked in the pinch I was in fine.  Overages were a bitch though...get that shit right off the start.  I got hosed the first few months pretty bad.

This is what I have but again, like five years ago so, tech has probably gotten much better.

Mobil HS.JPG

Apparently my new truck has one of these in it. You can use the truck as a hot spot and connect to it with laptops, tablets etc. so you can use a tablet or laptop while rolling down the road. It comes with a 3 month or X GB trial whichever comes first and then you can get a plan from AT&T. So far I haven't activated it and don't intend to.

Just now, 02sled said:

Apparently my new truck has one of these in it. You can use the truck as a hot spot and connect to it with laptops, tablets etc. so you can use a tablet or laptop while rolling down the road. It comes with a 3 month or X GB trial whichever comes first and then you can get a plan from AT&T. So far I haven't activated it and don't intend to.

Yep.  This can be used that way also.  Comes with all the powercords needed to do it from a vehicle or wherever (assuming you outrun the battery)  That's why I kept it....just in case I need it again.  Although (and again) I think maybe phones have probably advanced to at least what this thing may offer now.  :dunno:

• Gold Member
3 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

I use my phone as my hotspot.  Works very good.  All devices run fast and smooth.  I don't see a need in an additional device other than my phone.  ATT is my Carrier.  iPhone.  

You stream Netflix or youtube etc..?  Any issues?

23 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

You stream Netflix or youtube etc..?  Any issues?

I have streamed youtube quite a bit.  No netflix.  Youtube works fine.  

When we get back in the motorhome in the fall I will spend a little more time checking out video streaming through our tv.  All I have really done is use my computers, stereo and iOS devices with my phone as the hotspot.  

3 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

I use my phone as my hotspot.  Works very good.  All devices run fast and smooth.  I don't see a need in an additional device other than my phone.  ATT is my Carrier.  iPhone.  

Exactly....been using my phone for home wifi for years.....only reason I could ever see having a hotspot is if I wanted to leave on at the cabin or something for security cams or thermostat etc....phone can run all devices and stream 20mb or more at once

The Nighthawk hot spot is the hot shit right now. It will use 4 bands simultaneously on ATT. Which would make it faster than anything else. IDK if they have bands for VZW on it. You'll have to check.

I cannot get fuckin wired internet at my house, even though I live 2 miles outside of a town. I have 2 hotspots I currently use for internet. Both work fine for me, I dont do gaming but stream often. Both my hotspots are ATT. My phones are VZW. One ATT account is $20/month unlimited, supposed to throttle after 22gb, but Ive never been throttled on that one. I usually go through 100-300gb a month. The other account is through a ATT vendor out of IL. That is $70 for unlimited with a throttle after 50gb. But that one is often slower speeds than the other. And Ive been throttled on that one too, but usually only lasts a little while.

We are supposedly getting fixed wireless here, so I will probably drop the $70 account.

6 hours ago, 02sled said:

Rented a car with that last week.  Problem here is data caps.

12 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Rented a car with that last week.  Problem here is data caps.

Yup. Unlimited data from AT&T would be great, no coverage here. VZ isn't bad, you have to stream a lot to get dialed back,, but if you're using it as a hot spot it may not work as well. As the VZ rep explained it to me: if you visit a page on a phone, tablet, etc. The pages have coding for that application, less data/viewing to fit on the compact screen. When you hotspot and use a laptop, desktop, the web pages send different code with more data that can be utilized by the computer. Makes sense, if I go to a site on my phone it is in a different format than if I go on computer or tablet. Here for example, the site is shown differently on my tablet than laptop. :dunno:

1 minute ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Yup. Unlimited data from AT&T would be great, no coverage here. VZ isn't bad, you have to stream a lot to get dialed back,, but if you're using it as a hot spot it may not work as well. As the VZ rep explained it to me: if you visit a page on a phone, tablet, etc. The pages have coding for that application, less data/viewing to fit on the compact screen. When you hotspot and use a laptop, desktop, the web pages send different code with more data that can be utilized by the computer. Makes sense, if I go to a site on my phone it is in a different format than if I go on computer or tablet. Here for example, the site is shown differently on my tablet than laptop. :dunno:

Its just mobile site format....you can click on show full website on any device and look at it in its original format. I fucking hate mobile webpages and never use them 

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Its just mobile site format....you can click on show full website on any device and look at it in its original format. I fucking hate mobile webpages and never use them 

Good to know. I'm not a computer literate person so much. But I guess that makes sense as to why the desktop laptop takes more gigaminutes vs viewing on a mobile site format. :ashamed: :goodpost:

2 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Good to know. I'm not a computer literate person so much. But I guess that makes sense as to why the desktop laptop takes more gigaminutes vs viewing on a mobile site format. :ashamed: :goodpost:

yup...mobile has far less content and is formatted for mobile devices. It pisses me off :lol: 

Edited by f7ben

15 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Mobile vs full desktop, nothing to do with data caps.

1 minute ago, ckf said:

What doesn't piss you off :news:

turbos

Just now, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Go skin a deer, catch a fish, woodwork yourself a foot stool, fucking internet know it all!!

:finger: :taunt: :usflag:

I'm actually pretty computer illiterate too

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

turbos

Thoughts on the new Doo 900 turbo :news:

:lol:

Just now, ckf said:

Thoughts on the new Doo 900 turbo :news:

:lol:

It has a turbo that spins......the rest of what surrounds that turbo is gayer than 50 bags of fucking dicks 

1 minute ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

I was told it consumes more data to provide the extra "full desktop" vs the mobile information. :dunno:

@f7ben what say you internet smart guy?? :yahoo:

mobile versions of websites will use less data

• Thanks 1