AP Poll: 78 Percent Say Public School Teachers Aren't Paid Enough

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, SnowRider said:

What’s cost of living have to do with underperforming as it relates to compensation.....:snack:

Performance has much more to do with how involved the parents family are than teacher salaries.  

• Like 1

• USA Contributing Member

My Mom taught back in the 70's through the 90's, when I ask her about it she pretty much says it had it's pro's and con's.  She taught math (algebra), I can remember her grading papers at night a couple days a week but I also remember her having a lot of time off.  She did get basic supplies for the kids that needed them.

She started with a bachelors and got her masters while working.  Did complain about her pay back then but had very good medical/dental/vision/etc. benefits.

Biggest problem was disruptive kids which for the most part had to do with the family.

Just like any other job if your a teacher and feel your underpaid or don't enjoy what your doing then go find other employment.

The problem I have with salary discussions on the public side is how much should a teacher / fireman / policeman make and at the end of the day how is it going to get paid for?

4 minutes ago, $poorsledder$ said:

The problem I have with salary discussions on the public side is how much should a teacher / fireman / policeman make and at the end of the day how is it going to get paid for?

We never ask the same questions about war spending

Edited by motonoggin

2 hours ago, $poorsledder$ said:

2 hours ago, motonoggin said:

We never ask the same questions about war spending

Yeah fuck that....just pay teachers crap and get those kids through to graduation regardless....the military needs warm bodies to maim! 

10 hours ago, Mainecat said:

AP Poll: 78 Percent Say Public School Teachers Aren't Paid Enough

Source: Talking Points Memo/AP

By Carole Feldman and Emily Swanson | April 23, 2018 10:55 am 

WASHINGTON (AP) — Americans overwhelmingly believe teachers don’t make enough money, and half say they’d support paying higher taxes to give educators a raise. 

The findings of the new poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research come amid recent teacher strikes and other protests over low pay, tough classroom conditions and the amount of money allocated to public schools in several Republican-led states. 

Tens of thousands of Arizona teachers voted last week to strike after rejecting an offer of a 20-percent raise, because it didn’t include a vow from state lawmakers not to further cut taxes before providing more money for the state’s schools. 

“To educate children and barely get a living is obnoxious,” said Elaine Penman, a company manager in Tucson, Arizona, who added she and others went outside to cheer on protesting teachers who were marching by. She’s among the 50 percent of Americans who say they’d pay a higher tax bill if it meant more money for teachers.

Read more: https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/ap-poll-most-americans-say-public-school-teachers-not-paid-enough

I agree that classroom teachers are not paid enough.

Can't do that when Trump is spending it all on bombs that hit nothing in Syria. 

Besides these teachers deserve a shit kicking, not a raise. What percentage of the country was dumb enough to vote for Trump?  Blame the teachers for a country with that many idiots. 

Hell, I even heard that a significant percentage of people are so stupid they still believe Bush as a better choice than Gore............. Now that's fucking stupid. 

4 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Yeah fuck that....just pay teachers crap and get those kids through to graduation regardless....the military needs warm bodies to maim! 

So what should teachers make?  $250K a year? 

More than half of my town tax is for education, I live in the town I do for the quality education it provides but like everyone else when my kid finishes high school there will be "Congratulations Graduate!" balloons tied on one side of the mailbox and a "For Sale" sign hanging off a post on the other side.

What's a reasonable salary for a teacher?  I'm not saying they should be paid crap, just asking....... 

6 minutes ago, $poorsledder$ said:

So what should teachers make?  $250K a year? 

More than half of my town tax is for education, I live in the town I do for the quality education it provides but like everyone else when my kid finishes high school there will be "Congratulations Graduate!" balloons tied on one side of the mailbox and a "For Sale" sign hanging off a post on the other side.

What's a reasonable salary for a teacher?  I'm not saying they should be paid crap, just asking....... 

I think a reasonable question is if teachers make x, what should x be as a percentage of average remuneration in the area.

10 hours ago, Nazipigdog said:

That's usually the case in blue states. Is the Arizona teachers strike on the news by you? They get shit there. It's like that in many other states too. 

what are,you considering shit? are you comparing numbers to other union professions in az ? i bet a tenur teacher in az is doing better than 70k and a pension and full medical and dental and disability and vacation on top of the every holiday in the calender and the 3 month summer vacation.  

4 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

so 70k and a full benny pack for 9 mo is not something you would take right now ? 

17 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

I wouldn't if I had to go to school for it for 4 yrs. 

yeah but after you are hired you get a,teachers masters pif by the school.  and they are a cake walk masters from what I understand . now you are,up in the 90s for 7 hr days 9mo a yr . not to bad for a union gig .

6 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

yeah but after you are hired you get a,teachers masters pif by the school.  and they are a cake walk masters from what I understand . now you are,up in the 90s for 7 hr days 9mo a yr . not to bad for a union gig .

Nobody fails a masters or a PhD.

1 hour ago, racer254 said:

Still waiting for the answer to the question....What job should teachers be compared with?  

The following info is certainly over your head as you’re a simpleton in the truest sense of the word.....but try to wrap your pea sized brain around it....

Countries with exceptional student achievement treat teaching as a highly selective profession that is accorded tremendous prestige and competitive compensation," wrote the authors. "Only the very best students are admitted into teaching programs in Singapore, Finland, and South Korea, for example, and standards are especially high for elementary school teachers"

"The United States could consider options such as college grants for high-performing students who choose teaching, to remove the obstacle of future student loan debt," they add. "But regardless of the mechanisms chosen, teachers should be celebrated and respected as skilled professionals who provide a vital public service."

http://www.businessinsider.com/countries-where-teachers-get-paid-more-2013-7

29823210-A788-49D1-A222-36691300B313.jpeg

1 hour ago, racer254 said:

Still waiting for the answer to the question....What job should teachers be compared with?  

any union gig with 7 he days 9 mo a year .

they are doing better than nurses if you do the math on actual hours worked way better .

better than city administrators 

list can go on an on most union clean hands gigs . 

2 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Nobody fails a masters or a PhD.

I live in a neighborhood with 5 teachers in my  2 block dog walk . 

I know them all pretty well not 1 is hurting at all . most are 2 teachers in 1 home . all have nice cars 3 have cabins all have boats all have summer off.

every one got there masters on the tax dime .

not a bad life at all 

2 are closet republicans . 

12 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

so 70k and a full benny pack for 9 mo is not something you would take right now ? 

It could be 40K a year and guys like you would bitch about teachers...it's the same everytime and I haven't looked into lately but pretty sure the "full benny pack" isn't what it was 30 years ago when my mom taught. 

8 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

I live in a neighborhood with 5 teachers in my  2 block dog walk . 

I know them all pretty well not 1 is hurting at all . most are 2 teachers in 1 home . all have nice cars 3 have cabins all have boats all have summer off.

every one got there masters on the tax dime .

not a bad life at all 

2 are closet republicans . 

Would you rather have them hurting? Should they live in dumpy apartments and take the bus to work? 

12 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Would you rather have them hurting? Should they live in dumpy apartments and take the bus to work? 

No one here wants these hard working teachers to live a difficult life in or outside of work. I'm happy that most teachers are able to live a pretty good life.  I'm just questioning what type of salary this admirable group of people should be taking home.  What salary range from a starting teacher with a bachelors degree, to a teacher with a masters degree and a couple years in to a teacher with 10+ years be making?  I know a majority of my tax dollars go towards education and I'm told by people on this site that it's still not enough so give me an idea of how underpaid teachers are.

1 minute ago, $poorsledder$ said:

No one here wants these hard working teachers to live a difficult life in or outside of work. I'm happy that most teachers are able to live a pretty good life.  I'm just questioning what type of salary this admirable group of people should be taking home.  What salary range from a starting teacher with a bachelors degree, to a teacher with a masters degree and a couple years in to a teacher with 10+ years be making?  I know a majority of my tax dollars go towards education and I'm told by people on this site that it's still not enough so give me an idea of how underpaid teachers are.

You’re not happy....you’re pissed you’re paying taxes.  You’re not fooling anyone with your sarcasm so STFU :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, $poorsledder$ said:

There are certain people that think Minimum Wage  is too much for teachers...these threads always go the same way and always will and it clears from your tone where you stand.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks