This Crap must stop!!

rom – CFIF.org – by Betsy McCaughey

Medical bills are pushing more Americans into severe financial distress, even if they have insurance. That’s the grim news from a top medical journal. These bills force hundreds of thousands into bankruptcy each year. What’s so galling is that while Americans struggle to pay their bills, freeloaders from other countries get the same care at no cost by gaming our generous open-door hospital policies. They take a flight to the U.S., go straight to an emergency room, and get pacemakers, chemotherapy and other expensive care, leaving U.S. taxpayers to foot their bills.

Evan Levine, a cardiologist at a Bronx, New York, teaching hospital, recently treated a Trinidad resident who had learned his pacemaker battery was about to give out. He came to New York to avoid paying for cardiac care back home. Cost to him? Zero, aside from airfare.

It’s a common practice, according to a medical device salesman who services hospitals in the New York area. He gets calls for pacemakers destined for patients from South or Central America who fly in and take a bus directly to the hospital. The bill for one pacemaker patient can reach $96,000. John Q. Public gets stuck with it.

Taxpayers cough up an estimated $2 billion a year for a program called Emergency Medicaid, according to Kaiser Health News. It covers everyone unable to pay for emergency medical care, including illegal immigrants and residents of other countries here for medical freebies.

No one should be left to die on the street. But forcing taxpayers to foot the bill for foreigners here to rip us off goes too far.

Federal law requires that hospitals help all patients who come to the ER in labor or with a life-threatening condition. Lenient regulations are turning this into a gravy train. Hospital administration cannot ask about immigration status at any time, and they are barred from asking if patients can pay or have insurance until after they’ve been helped. Every ER posts signs telling patients they have a right to be treated, no matter what.

Noah Schreibman, pulmonologist and critical care physician in Delray, Florida, explains that “if someone is short of breath, has chest pains, coughs up blood, or recently lost 20 pounds, they’ll get admitted.”

“We are here to help, we treat everybody,” Schreibman insists, even as he acknowledges seeing foreign patients flocking to Florida hospitals for the free care. He doesn’t begrudge them, but taxpayers have every right to be outraged.

So do Americans facing bankruptcy from their medical bills. Soaring deductibles are worsening the pressure, according to the JAMA Internal Medicine report, which shows deductibles up a whopping 86 percent since 2009.

If you have cancer, you’ll pay thousands out of your own pocket before your insurance kicks in. But in New York, which has about the most liberal emergency Medicaid policies of any state, a medical tourist claiming poverty can get up to 15 months of inpatient chemotherapy — worth $150,000 — sticking taxpayers with the bill. The same holds true for inpatient dialysis, which sometimes costs even more. Patients who don’t medically require hospitalization are sometimes put in the hospital anyway because emergency Medicaid only pays for inpatient care.

Uncle Sam turns a blind eye but at the same time hassles older Americans who come to the ER. Under a sneaky Obama administration policy, seniors seeking emergency care are put in “observation care” and then, when it’s time to leave, they’re slapped with huge bills and told they were never formally admitted to the hospital so Medicare won’t pay.

And what about vets? As a thank you for their service, they’re clobbered with a hefty bill if they dare go to an emergency room that isn’t run by the VA. It’s so outrageous, a federal court just ruled against this practice.

Levine has a sensible fix: Bill countries when their citizens come here to freeload, or deduct the cost from their foreign aid packages.

Our nation’s priorities need to be fixed. Stop scrimping on care for vets and seniors, to spend money on people from other nations.

3 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Is this common in other countries with UHC?

Canada does not treat out of country patients unless they have insurance.  That being said I do not step into the USA without at least 5 million in medical coverage.  The USA pays three times what other G8 nations pay for medical, that needs to change.  UHC does not cover prescription costs, so those that don't have extra benefits can still lose their homes when they can't cover the costs. 

Actually, anyone claiming "poverty" can get a states determined maximum medical payout.  Treatment varies but our current and long existing "UHC" plan for the "poor" really covers quite a bit.  And actually, about 70 million Americans are on the "free plan".  Now, bogus reports bring the count down to the 30 mil mark due to Obamacare sign ups...but that is not correct.  Less than half of these new enrollees do not pay one dime toward their agreed premium.  

I carry a "self insured" very high deductible plan and we NEVER go to the doctor.  And every year it goes up!  And gone up massively in the last 6 years!  WHAT THE FUCK!  If Hillary is elected...I'm gonna change my status, income and get on board with what I've been subsidizing for years.  Fuck it!  My turn for free food, healthcare, and misc bennies.  It this moral?  Well, I used to not think so, but the definition of that is changing here in huge ways.  

I cannot wait to stand in the grocery line with my high end deli meat platter and PROUDLY hand over my stamps or card or whatever they use like so many I've witnessed over the years....then go get in their new car.  WOW.

3 minutes ago, Ebsell said:

I don't buy that story. I know as a Canadian if I travel to the US I have my own insurance because I'm not covered in the States by your healthcare. Something don't seem right with that article 

They can't deny health care if you have no coverage, they worry about it later.  In Canada they will ask first.

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

They can't deny health care if you have no coverage, they worry about it later.  In Canada they will ask first.

Yes, we would just send you a gigantic bill so you can help pay for all the health care that the unemployed get for free..:good:

45 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Actually, anyone claiming "poverty" can get a states determined maximum medical payout.  Treatment varies but our current and long existing "UHC" plan for the "poor" really covers quite a bit.  And actually, about 70 million Americans are on the "free plan".  Now, bogus reports bring the count down to the 30 mil mark due to Obamacare sign ups...but that is not correct.  Less than half of these new enrollees do not pay one dime toward their agreed premium.  

I carry a "self insured" very high deductible plan and we NEVER go to the doctor.  And every year it goes up!  And gone up massively in the last 6 years!  WHAT THE FUCK!  If Hillary is elected...I'm gonna change my status, income and get on board with what I've been subsidizing for years.  Fuck it!  My turn for free food, healthcare, and misc bennies.  It this moral?  Well, I used to not think so, but the definition of that is changing here in huge ways.  

I cannot wait to stand in the grocery line with my high end deli meat platter and PROUDLY hand over my stamps or card or whatever they use like so many I've witnessed over the years....then go get in their new car.  WOW.

If this is what the liberals of the US want, screw it, might as well take advantage of it. 

26 minutes ago, Ebsell said:

I don't buy that story. I know as a Canadian if I travel to the US I have my own insurance because I'm not covered in the States by your healthcare. Something don't seem right with that article 

Honorable for sure.  But, if you get healthcare here then go back home, there is almost no way for the hospital to collect from you since your credit ratings aren't tied to anything here.

20 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

The "worrying" they do later results in almost no positive monetary gain.  Especially if it is a foreigner or illegal here.

8 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Yes, we would just send you a gigantic bill so you can help pay for all the health care that the unemployed get for free..:good:

Yep..but so very few get paid.  The ones willing to be responsible here are the ones that are being fleeced more and more by the ones that know how to work the system.  Enjoy having a good credit rating?  Better pay the fuck up.  Credit doesn't matter?  Free ride.

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

The "worrying" they do later results in almost no positive monetary gain.  Especially if it is a foreigner or illegal here.

For the life of me, I don't know how anyone could visit another country without having proper medical insurance.  Then I have zero Libtard thoughts, so that part of the brain has been replaced with function and productivity.

16 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

For the life of me, I don't know how anyone could visit another country without having proper medical insurance.  Then I have zero Libtard thoughts, so that part of the brain has been replaced with function and productivity.

They want ZERO personal responsibility. 

3 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Canada does not treat out of country patients unless they have insurance.  That being said I do not step into the USA without at least 5 million in medical coverage.  The USA pays three times what other G8 nations pay for medical, that needs to change.  UHC does not cover prescription costs, so those that don't have extra benefits can still lose their homes when they can't cover the costs. 

Nobody in Canada has ever lost their home due to medication costs. That is a fact.

19 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

That's cause they die waiting for treatment.

Ya sure they do. You best move now, come on down. For a guy your age 20k per year with a 10k deductible will get it done.