US grain ships diverted at sea hours after China imposes grain tariff

19 minutes ago, 02sled said:

exactly... the biggest concern of the Chinese government is in fact keeping the 1.4 billion people fed on a daily basis.

Also if the Chinese source the product from somewhere else in the world that will create a shortage in that part of the global market. Think about it. If the global demand is 1B tonnes and the Chinese account for 10% of that demand, suddenly they get that 10% from Europe. The supply to Europe just diminished by 10% which will need to come from somewhere.... oh that's right. The US product that was originally destined for China can now fill the demand which was just created in Europe.

Sorta. That implies routes are adequately in place to handle that supply chain deviation, it implies the new or expanding entrants wouldn’t renegotiate pricing due to bulk on hand supply being a negative price factor, and it implies other countries wouldn’t subsidize during that changeover period to make themselves more desirable to the countries with a shortage and need. World demand stays constant, but it’s not just shifting the pieces on the board. I’m also not saying we wouldn’t win that game. We probably would. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Nobody said that there  wouldn’t be growing pains during this and it’s about time somebody took action against the chinks and you are only bitching because it’s Trump so go lay down.

Right?  Tools.

59 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

dump it in the yards of trump voters

BAZING!!!

48 minutes ago, Highmark said:

How the liberals on here thinks this works.   The kid is the Farmer.  :lol:  

tumblr_mc7ao3uoSI1rvbmpi.gif

:lol:

47 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

The morons here have no clue. They get paid when it’s delivered. 

:lol:

Gold!  GOLD!

32 minutes ago, 02sled said:

exactly... the biggest concern of the Chinese government is in fact keeping the 1.4 billion people fed on a daily basis.

Also if the Chinese source the product from somewhere else in the world that will create a shortage in that part of the global market. Think about it. If the global demand is 1B tonnes and the Chinese account for 10% of that demand, suddenly they get that 10% from Europe. The supply to Europe just diminished by 10% which will need to come from somewhere.... oh that's right. The US product that was originally destined for China can now fill the demand which was just created in Europe.

I believe that is how the sugar quotas are filled. 

3 hours ago, 02sled said:

Does Europe allow GMO products? 

hey Hayward....

CHICAGO/MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexican buyers imported ten times more corn from Brazil last year amid concern that NAFTA renegotiations could disrupt their U.S. supplies, according to government data and top grains merchants.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-trump-effect-corn-exclusive/exclusive-as-trump-trashes-nafta-mexico-turns-to-brazilian-corn-idUSKCN1G61J4

3 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

hey Hayward....

CHICAGO/MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexican buyers imported ten times more corn from Brazil last year amid concern that NAFTA renegotiations could disrupt their U.S. supplies, according to government data and top grains merchants.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-trump-effect-corn-exclusive/exclusive-as-trump-trashes-nafta-mexico-turns-to-brazilian-corn-idUSKCN1G61J4

Looks like Mexico may be shopping else-where.  That link I posted, doesn't really say that those were import numbers from u.s. corn only, could have been total import from everywhere else including u.s.  Some of this shit is confusing and hard to sift through.  And then, who's numbers  does one really believe?

Corn will continue to be cheap no matter what until there's a major weather problem someplace that effects yeild.  That's just my opinion.

7 hours ago, Highmark said:

The farmer doesn't get paid until its delivered to China.  :lol:   Holy shit that's fucking sigworthy.  :lol:  

Do they even have farms that produce anything where you live.  :lol:  

So what happens to prices when those ships supplant other crop that was set for those customers?  You are a supply and demand guy right?  

Neal

7 hours ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Sorta. That implies routes are adequately in place to handle that supply chain deviation, it implies the new or expanding entrants wouldn’t renegotiate pricing due to bulk on hand supply being a negative price factor, and it implies other countries wouldn’t subsidize during that changeover period to make themselves more desirable to the countries with a shortage and need. World demand stays constant, but it’s not just shifting the pieces on the board. I’m also not saying we wouldn’t win that game. We probably would. 

Bingo.  The short term will be negative, no doubt.  How the long term shuffling plays out is a bit secondary to the immediate ordeal.  Farmers not being able to cover their operating loans, or being denied an operating loan is a short term ordeal, not a long term one.

Neal

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

So what happens to prices when those ships supplant other crop that was set for those customers?  You are a supply and demand guy right?  

Neal

1. I find it surprising that they would load up ships and traverse the pacific ocean, Philippine sea and South China sea and even more without having the stuff pre sold.  If so I really don't give 2 fucks at the loss for taking that risk.  

2. I would assume this is a worldwide market with demand that doesn't change that quickly.   As someone said before if China is buying it from someone else then someone else will need it.  If there is no demand then the price needs to be lower until not so much is produced or more markets are found.

I know my customers don't just go sending hundreds or thousands of my products to China (which are tariffed at 25%) without dealer orders.   

Edited by Highmark

Why not just feed it to liberals and foodstamp recipiants?

The world of healthy food is a fickle and ever-evolving landscape. One minute a grain is best known as animal feed, and the next thing you know it's popping up on trendy restaurant menus. That's the starry path of sorghum — a tiny, beige, gluten-free whole grain that may be the new quinoa.

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

1. I find it surprising that they would load up ships and traverse the pacific ocean, Philippine sea and South China sea and even more without having the stuff pre sold.  If so I really don't give 2 fucks at the loss for taking that risk.  

2. I would assume this is a worldwide market with demand that doesn't change that quickly.   As someone said before if China is buying it from someone else then someone else will need it.  If there is no demand then the price needs to be lower until not so much is produced or more markets are found.

I know my customers don't just go sending hundreds or thousands of my products to China (which are tariffed at 25%) without dealer orders.   

We have been paid 100% before we ever shipped anything to China.  That was on the advice of our best Chinese customer.

7 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Grain has a shelf life you friggin morons.

Of course nobody will report if this simply was a choice to take the product to a higher priced market.

We want fair trade and its our countries fault.   Hilarious.   This would be so different if a dem put their foot down and demanded fair trade.