Robbed in Rio

ckf

Ryan Lochte, 3 other U.S. swimmers robbed at Rio Olympics, USOC says

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (CNN)Olympic medalist Ryan Lochte and three other U.S. swimmers were safe and cooperating with police Sunday after being robbed at gunpoint in Rio de Janeiro, the U.S. Olympic Committee said. One of the bandits reportedly put a gun to Lochte's forehead.

Lochte and fellow swimmers Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger and Jimmy Feigen had left a hospitality house hosted by France early Sunday morning in a taxi bound for the Olympic Village.

The vehicle was "stopped by individuals posing as armed police officers who demanded the athletes' money and other personal belongings," said USOC spokesman Patrick Sandusky.

Appearing on NBC, Lochte offered chilling details.

"We got pulled over, in the taxi, and these guys came out with a badge, a police badge, no lights, no nothing just a police badge and they pulled us over," Lochte told NBC. "They pulled out their guns, they told the other swimmers to get down on the ground — they got down on the ground. I refused, I was like we didn't do anything wrong, so — I'm not getting down on the ground.

"And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said, "Get down," and I put my hands up, I was like 'whatever.' He took our money, he took my wallet — he left my cell phone, he left my credentials."

"I think they're all shaken up," Lochte's mother, Ileana Lochte, told USA Today.

Ryan Lochte confirms he was robbed at gunpoint

Sandusky said all four athletes "are safe and cooperating with authorities."

Rio de Janeiro Civil Police told CNN they have opened an investigation, a few hours after they first learned about the robbery from the media and had not been contacted by the USOC.

Bentz, one of the four swimmers, tweeted Sunday, "We are all safe. Thank you for your love and support."

As of Sunday afternoon the other three swimmers had remained silent on Twitter about the robbery. Lochte's most recent tweet from Saturday was a photo of him with snowboarder Shaun White.

When reports began surfacing about the incident, International Olympic Committee spokesman Mark Adams told reporters at a press briefing in Rio, "I can tell you from Ryan Lochte's mouth that the story is absolutely not true."

With 12 Olympic medals, Lochte, 32, is the second-most decorated male Olympic swimmer of all time, second only to Michael Phelps.

CNN's Pierre Meilhan and Marilia Brocchetto contributed to this report.

A friend of mine works for a company that takes him all over the world. He told me that when in South America he rides in a vehicle with his interpreter. His interpreter told him to keep the windows closed in the vehicle that he is in because people have been known to reach in to a vehicle and steal whatever is not secured. Apparently quite a few thieves in South America. >:(

3 hours ago, Sludgey said:

This is what you get with liberals 

Is that what causes this, or is it the IMF and world bank policies and predatory lending in order to secure resources and destroy economic potential that keeps people in poverty?

1 hour ago, Boered said:

Is that what causes this, or is it the IMF and world bank policies and predatory lending in order to secure resources and destroy economic potential that keeps people in poverty?

naw , it's Bushes fault! along with the evil rich for not paying more than 68% of the bill for the US.

14 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Some friends of mine were stopped by some cops years ago in Chicago and we're asked why they were stopping at the stop signs.  The cops told them to look around, white people don't stop here.

Umm no. If your friends were in that kind of neighborhood they were being stopped for suspicion of soliciting narcotics. 

39 minutes ago, Anler said:

Umm no. If your friends were in that kind of neighborhood they were being stopped for suspicion of soliciting narcotics. 

Likely, but when the cop realized they were lost, from another country and glad to see them, they had to come up with something. 

• Platinum Contributing Member

Held at gun point and he refuses to comply...what an idiot. If someone, be it a police officer or a robber, has you at gun point and tells you to get down on the ground, that's exactly what you do.

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Likely, but when the cop realized they were lost, from another country and glad to see them, they had to come up with something. 

Sure, but in my experience cpd is pretty "no nonsense" they will ask you straight up wtf are you doing here?. But yeah I'm sure they get a fair share of pasty white folks who get lost in the hood and swoop in to rescue them before the natives eat em... :lol: