Building a Moto-X Track?

24 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Here is a side picture of mine.  I run into the woods and that makes it hard to see from the air

image.thumb.png.3912ebb71b4f7170f8aa660b07bfb222.png

Yeah!  That's what we were thinking too....at first.  Then I let things get away from the "K.I.S.S." method.  

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Kid is really good.   Too old to really go after it now (19).  Year he was going places then he wrecked on that jump and got messed up pretty bad.   Couple broken wrists, broken ribs and what not.   He had already beat a couple kids that placed top 5 or 10 at Loretta Lynn later that year in his class.  Damn expensive sport.   Love watching him ride.   

Is expensive. A bud of mine growing up did it. Ended up getting a ride from Yamaha , but before that his folks used him as the best writeoff they ever had.

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Yeah!  That's what we were thinking too....at first.  Then I let things get away from the "K.I.S.S." method.  

Don't worry, it will get way out of hand.  Mine runs about 1:10 to 1:20 lap times and that picture only shows about a 100 foot section.  Most is in the woods and hard to see from the air.

Edited by racer254

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Kid is really good.   Too old to really go after it now (19).  Year he was going places then he wrecked on that jump and got messed up pretty bad.   Couple broken wrists, broken ribs and what not so he missed a really important year.   He had already beat a couple kids that placed top 5 or 10 at Loretta Lynn later that year in his class.  Damn expensive sport.   Love watching him ride.   

I was in the 9th grade and my GF's brother at the time had a track and got me into it.  Damn, he got fucked up a lot too.  I moved into road racing and had a few dumps but never got too banged up.  Hell, even SX rarely amounts to too much injuries compared to Moto.  Ground is hard!

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I was in the 9th grade and my GF's brother at the time had a track and got me into it.  Damn, he got fucked up a lot too.  I moved into road racing and had a few dumps but never got too banged up.  Hell, even SX rarely amounts to too much injuries compared to Moto.  Ground is hard!

No, SX today is alot more dangerous 

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Yeah, it really takes a lot of dirt to make good, safe jumps.  I would hate to have that jump on my property.  Fun if you hit it good, but bad if you crash.  I try to make all my landings super big and super long and not many sharp edges, but that takes a lot of dirt.  On mine the biggest danger is casing a jump then hitting a tree.

16 minutes ago, T1R9sledder said:

I know you used to race in Maine quite a bit. You ever run the track out behind my house in Norridgewock?

Best 2 tracks in New England I raced at were in Maine, but nothing up your way, northern Maine has their own sanction, I raced at Minot a bunch of times, down near Augusta.  This gives you a little taste :bc: 

14 minutes ago, DISABLED DAVE said:

Now that looks like a sweet track.

Yeah it really was, and less than a mile from my house.  I'd be out in the yard, hear the bikes, just decide on a whim to load stuff in the truck an head 'er down. :bc: 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MiSledder said:

It's all those pesky 500 lbs machines!  :lmao: Usually the tracks are pretty soft...but getting run over looks awfully painful.

3 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Yeah, it really takes a lot of dirt to make good, safe jumps.  I would hate to have that jump on my property.  Fun if you hit it good, but bad if you crash.  I try to make all my landings super big and super long and not many sharp edges, but that takes a lot of dirt.  On mine the biggest danger is casing a jump then hitting a tree.

Tabletops.  I'm a big fan of tabletops.  Nice to be able to bite off as much as you want...or jump the whole damn thing and case the landing!  :lol: 

1 minute ago, DriftBusta said:

Best 2 tracks in New England I raced at were in Maine, but nothing up your way, northern Maine has their own sanction, I raced at Minot a bunch of times, down near Augusta.  This gives you a little taste :bc: 

Yeah it really was, and less than a mile from my house.  I'd be out in the yard, hear the bikes, just decide on a whim to load stuff in the truck an head 'er down. :bc: 

Wasn't there a track in east Waterboro too.

57 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

i think the biggest problem I'm going to have here is permits to bring in fill dirt.  There are cattails on the property and based on my last experience building my place, MN DNR and EPA are tough to deal with on this.  We had to do a little "hint, hint...wink, wink" on what I wanted to do on my current piece.  That's a far cry from what I'd like to do here.  This land is pretty flat too.  So.........

Can't get the god damn county to call me back to see if I can even get permitted.  EPA and DNR already stuck their nose in my business....almost as if their little alarms went off!  :lol:

Threaten to kill them that'll  get you some attention.

Just now, steve from amherst said:

Wasn't there a track in east Waterboro too.

Yes, actually was one there years ago, but now there's one in Lyman, just a few minutes from the other one. :bc: 

7 minutes ago, MiSledder said:

Very nice track you have.  We have a lot of good ones within 2 hours of me, but sometimes you can have a lot of fun on the local private tracks with about 5 good buddies.

Just now, 1jkw said:

Threaten to kill them that'll  get you some attention.

Well, that's extreme.  Usually I find that calling them and telling them you are getting the project going will get them bright eyed and bushy tailed in a hurry!!! They are just slow.  I think the DNR is gonna be my obstacle here anyway.  

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Well, that's extreme.  Usually I find that calling them and telling them you are getting the project going will get them bright eyed and bushy tailed in a hurry!!! They are just slow.  I think the DNR is gonna be my obstacle here anyway.  

Some swamp loving faggot will claim you are destroying the world.

Just now, steve from amherst said:

Some swamp loving faggot will claim you are destroying the world.

The first question they ask is, "Does it have Cattails growing in it?".  If it's "yes"...they are on their way out.  They don't fuck around with destroying wetland here.  I encroached on about 1500 measly feet to build my garage and for a minute...I thought they were gonna have a nervous breakdown about it.  I just had to "replace it".  It's weird.  Fucking ditches will grow Cattails!!!!!

In like 1990 I was cutting a drainage ditch with my dozer by our pond, threw the track backing out, the only thing you could see was the bar on the back of the seat that was Monday night at about 5  Tuesday morning at 11 the Army Corp Of Engineers and the PA DEP were at the house. Glad my FIL handled it.

2 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

In like 1990 I was cutting a drainage ditch with my dozer by our pond, threw the track backing out, the only thing you could see was the bar on the back of the seat that was Monday night at about 5  Tuesday morning at 11 the Army Corp Of Engineers and the PA DEP were at the house. Glad my FIL handled it.

They don't play here.  They unloaded out of a suburban with boots, waders, nets and all kinds of equipment.  I was like...WUT?  They tested for water life, depth, algae growth...all kinds of shit.  We got along well and there was just a few things they wanted me to do to ensure no excess runoff into the water.  It's was actually quite impressive...even if it was a bit of a PAI.  It's my guess more than a few people object and act like complete asses.  They don't fuck around.  They'll pull the plug on whatever you think you are going to do on "your" land.

13 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

They don't play here.  They unloaded out of a suburban with boots, waders, nets and all kinds of equipment.  I was like...WUT?  They tested for water life, depth, algae growth...all kinds of shit.  We got along well and there was just a few things they wanted me to do to ensure no excess runoff into the water.  It's was actually quite impressive...even if it was a bit of a PAI.  It's my guess more than a few people object and act like complete asses.  They don't fuck around.  They'll pull the plug on whatever you think you are going to do on "your" land.

They don't play here either. At the time the area I was in wasn't listed on our county wetland map but it was on the state and fed. maps.

In the county soil conservation office is a satellite  pic. of a d-6 in a wetland.  You could read the caterpillar name and the company name  on the hood,( if it weren't blocked out) they take wetlands real serious here. 

2 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

I never raced but have been on 2 wheels since I was 10. Funny at the beginning of pawn stars they have the same as my first bike on it.  

rr.gif

Is that yours?  My first dream bike, when I was like 10-11 years old.  My cousins had a couple Rupps including a Roadster, and they let me and bro bomb around all the lake roads near their property in Windham ME.

34 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Is that yours?  My first dream bike, when I was like 10-11 years old.  My cousins had a couple Rupps including a Roadster, and they let me and bro bomb around all the lake roads near their property in Windham ME.

No , that was the first bike I ever had. Just pulled the pic off google. Mine was the exact same only bronze colored. Was 10 yrs old , my dad was taking me to go look at a $250 mini bike because that was all the money I had. Then he pulled in this place and told me he would lend me the rest. Delivered newspapaers for a yr for that thing.

• Like 2

One thing you will have to keep in mind is that if you disturb more than 1 acre of land you will need to get a storm water permit. Not a huge hurdle to deal with just a bit of paper work. Another thing to consider is you could dig a pond/wetland and get your dirt from there. If you need to encroach on the wetland area that already exists on the land you could always mitigate that by building a wetland/pond. when you get more serious pm me and i can give you my phone number to discuss in more detail.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

No , that was the first bike I ever had. Just pulled the pic off google. Mine was the exact same only bronze colored. Was 10 yrs old , my dad was taking me to go look at a $250 mini bike because that was all the money I had. Then he pulled in this place and told me he would lend me the rest. Delivered newspapaers for a yr for that thing.

That sounds just like what happened with me.  Saved up money, then one day we were looking at used minibikes.  By the end of the day we had a brand new honda xr80 $680 dollars out the door, I was 9.  It took me 2 weeks before I learned how to shift.

• Like 1