Looks Like Yamaha is releasing it's own sleds next year

I have no inside info. I do have one friend that owns a Yamaha Dealer in New York. I also have a buddy who used to be sponsored by Yamaha. I talked to both of them and one of the biggest dealers in Michigan. They all say the cut from 37 models to 12 is all about getting ready for next year. apparently, Yamaha and Textron didn't renew the deal cat had with Yamaha. Also, Textron owns a company in Europe that builds high-performance four-stroke motors. 

Have you guys heard anything on this? 

1 minute ago, jtssrx said:

I have no inside info. I do have one friend that owns a Yamaha Dealer in New York. I also have a buddy who used to be sponsored by Yamaha. I talked to both of them and one of the biggest dealers in Michigan. They all say the cut from 37 models to 12 is all about getting ready for next year. apparently, Yamaha and Textron didn't renew the deal cat had with Yamaha. Also, Textron owns a company in Europe that builds high-performance four-stroke motors. 

Yamaha has 12 models?

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

Yes I've heard this and lots of "rumors".   The most common is Yamaha is done with sleds.

The other Rumor that was given to me is that Textron isn't really big on sleds. That they are working on a deal to sell just the sled division of Cat to Yamaha. But that doesn't make sense to me as it appears as though Yamaha winding that relationship down

Just now, jtssrx said:

The other Rumor that was given to me is that Textron isn't really big on sleds. That they are working on a deal to sell just the sled division of Cat to Yamaha. But that doesn't make sense to me as it appears as though Yamaha winding that relationship down

I don't see this happening.   ATV's are seasonal like sleds and they balance out factory OH's.   Textron moved one of its own UTV's production to Thief River Falls.

On top of that Cat ATV/UTV sales are helped by the hardcore Cat sled faithful.   They would be stupid to cut this link.  

Few Cat dealers I've seen want the relationship cut as they feel Yamaha gets the vast majority of sales on the Turbo models.

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

I don't see this happening.   ATV's are seasonal like sleds and they balance out factory OH's.   Textron moved one of its own UTV's production to Thief River Falls.

On top of that Cat ATV/UTV sales are helped by the hardcore Cat sled faithful.   They would be stupid to cut this link.  

Few Cat dealers I've seen want the relationship cut as they feel Yamaha gets the vast majority of sales on the Turbo models.

Atvs are not seasonal whatsoever.

11 minutes ago, T1R9sledder said:

If that's the case my friends I ride with won't be happy. They all have Yamahas. 

I hope Yamaha dives back in with their own chassis but I just don't see it happening.   My bet if we are to see further Yamaha's it will need to be tied with another mfg.   

8 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Atvs are not seasonal whatsoever.

Not like sleds and mowers but it is seasonal.  Of course location plays a role.

http://www.csewebsolutions.com/case-studies/motor-city-atv-ecommerce/#tab4

Motor City ATV sales volume is seasonal with peaks and valleys and the strongest months in early Spring and into Summer.

Edited by Highmark

7 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I hope Yamaha dives back in with their own chassis but I just don't see it happening.   My bet if we are to see further Yamaha's it will need to be tied with another mfg.   

I agree.....a lot $$$$ for a very limited market.

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Not like sleds and mowers but it is seasonal.  

http://www.csewebsolutions.com/case-studies/motor-city-atv-ecommerce/#tab4

Motor City ATV sales volume is seasonal with peaks and valleys and the strongest months in early Spring and into Summer.

Think for a minute...over half of your country doesnt get snow. Most of the big atv Jamborees in the south are Feb and Mar.

5 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Think for a minute...over half of your country doesnt get snow. Most of the big atv Jamborees in the south are Feb and Mar.

Like I said, not nationwide and not like other markets but it is seasonal.   Dude I use to make accessories for an ATV company....those sales were very seasonal.  But hey I guess what I built was an outlier.  :lol:  

Edited by Highmark

23 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Like I said, not nationwide and not like other markets but it is seasonal.   Dude I use to make accessories for an ATV company....those sales were very seasonal.  But hey I guess what I built was an outlier.  :lol:  

You edited your post and added location. :bc:

38 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

I was thinking about that yesterday. I rarely see a cat version of the yamacats. All vipers and sidewinders. I could see Yamaha buying Cat out.

4 minutes ago, small-bore said:

I was thinking about that yesterday. I rarely see a cat version of the yamacats. All vipers and sidewinders. I could see Yamaha buying Cat out.

Sad day for snowmobiling if either "get out."

Wonder if Yamaha purchased Cat would we still see both brands stand alone or would it be Arctic Cat by Yamaha and no Yamaha stand alone brand.      

8 minutes ago, small-bore said:

The yammi version looks better and people were worried about cat clutches. But as it turns out the yammis are having more issues than the cats

Hard to say with all this fuckery and shit seasons the last few years.  IMO, I'd love to see a seperation between the Yammi and Cat and see Yammy build their own sleds again.  I'd love to see them go back to 2 strokes but, one wish at a time.  Reality is, I just don't think there are enough people that want a blue Arctic Cat.  Cat owns the market on high performance four strokes and has all the aftermarket research and go-fast parts to go along with it.  I think this is a good reason why Doo and Poo aren't bothering with it.  

Reality is, I think Yammi is done with sleds.  Sad.  But, let's face it, they were done messing around in the sled market when they refused to listen to market demand.  Partnering with Cat was a last ditch effort to try and renew their brand.....by using another brand??????  The whole thing stunk before the ink dried.

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Hard to say with all this fuckery and shit seasons the last few years.  IMO, I'd love to see a seperation between the Yammi and Cat and see Yammy build their own sleds again.  I'd love to see them go back to 2 strokes but, one wish at a time.  Reality is, I just don't think there are enough people that want a blue Arctic Cat.  Cat owns the market on high performance two strokes and has all the aftermarket research and go-fast parts to go along with it.  I think this is a good reason why Doo and Poo aren't bothering with it.  

Reality is, I think Yammi is done with sleds.  Sad.  But, let's face it, they were done messing around in the sled market when they refused to listen to market demand.  Partnering with Cat was a last ditch effort to try and renew their brand.....by using another brand??????  The whole thing stunk before the ink dried.

:lmao: