Former Coal Lobbyist On Tap For No. 2 Spot At EPA

• Platinum Contributing Member

President Trump's nominee for deputy administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, Andrew Wheeler, has spent much of his career working for less oversight from the agency.

A longtime aide to Sen. James Inhofe, known for his climate-denying antics on the floor of the Senate, Wheeler worked on environmental legislation for more than 15 years in various roles on the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works. He helped to defeat a 2008 climate bill before leaving to be a private consultant and lobbyist.

That experience will serve Wheeler well as deputy administrator, his supporters argue, as the EPA continues to roll back Obama-era rules and regulations, and the agency works more closely with industry.

"I know where the laws are drafted," Wheeler said when he appeared before that same committee for his confirmation hearing last year. He joked with Senators and seemed at-ease answering questions from his old colleagues, even as Democrats raised concerns about his past work as a lobbyist.

Since 2009, Wheeler has represented the interests of some of the largest fossil fuel companies in the U.S. as a consultant and lobbyist, and national environmental groups including the Natural Resources Defense Council and Sierra Club oppose his nomination. According to an analysis of public documents by ProPublica, Wheeler has worked as a registered lobbyist for, among others, a major uranium mining company, one of the largest coal companies in the country and a refrigerant manufacturer.

Each of the companies has worked to shape EPA regulations in their favor in recent years.

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/17/593546626/former-coal-lobbyist-on-tap-for-no-2-spot-at-epa

Just now, Zambroski said:

Then let’s let the market dictate that.  Not the strong arm of a government entity.

I grew up in a heavy industrial area. And now I am in a business that cleans up the damage from that past. It's all good to talk about the over reach of the EPA until a bunch of people get poisoned. Then it's "where was the EPA!?!?"

1 minute ago, Nazipigdog said:

I grew up in a heavy industrial area. And now I am in a business that cleans up the damage from that past. It's all good to talk about the over reach of the EPA until a bunch of people get poisoned. Then it's "where was the EPA!?!?"

We aren’t going back to that. There’s a place for the EPA but they need oversight. 

Why do some of you feel it’s gotta be “all or nothing”.  

“WE’RE GOING BACK TO RIVERS THAT CATCH FIRE!!!!!”

We aren’t going back to that. There’s a place for the EPA but they need oversight. 

Why do some of you feel it’s gotta be “all or nothing”.  

“WE’RE GOING BACK TO RIVERS THAT CATCH FIRE!!!!!”

The EPA is almost non-existent in my business. And yes some are trying to go back to that. 

5 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

The EPA is almost non-existent in my business. And yes some are trying to go back to that. 

“Some” won’t be allowed.  Grossness and waste at the cost of everything and everyone else is a thing of the past.  

@f7ben Better get on it or our domestic steel is destined to be produced in the same environment as foreign steel you despise because of their lax environmental policies........now we are becoming those very same entities....  :snack:

“Some” won’t be allowed.  Grossness and waste at the cost of everything and everyone else is a thing of the past.  

You’re simply rationalizing  a poor decision.

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

You'd be surprised. 

15 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Combine human nature along with capitalism and of course it will go back to that, only a dimwit wouldn't be able to understand that.

3 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Combine human nature along with capitalism and of course it will go back to that, only a dimwit wouldn't be able to understand that.

Exactly. 

7 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Like I stated, Anlar.  Hard to tell the difference.  One whiner is as loud as the other to me (and most).

I know, I love it when people tell me the things I see everyday don't exist anymore. :lol:

1 hour ago, Nazipigdog said:

Yep...the EPA is definitely necessary.

1 hour ago, Nazipigdog said:

I know, I love it when people tell me the things I see everyday don't exist anymore. :lol:

Serious question, since you're in the business, would you say that the potential "over-reaching" of the EPA over the past 20 years has made a significant cut into the industrial side of the economy?  Or has it been more so from other circustamces involved?    Are we better off importing all the shit that is made elsewhere and is toxic to the environment through producing it or is there a place for it to be made here without the negative impact?

I'm serious now.  I like to hear it from the horse's mouth, not an internet expert.  Like shitslinger.