US accuses Russia of cyber attacks on power grid

The Russians are our friends......

US accuses Russia of cyber attacks on power grid

Source: CNN 

By Sophie Tatum, CNN 

Updated 7:45 AM ET, Fri March 16, 2018 

Washington (CNN) - The US government has accused Russia of remotely targeting the US power grid, as part of its newly unveiled sanctions on the country. 

The Department of Homeland Security released detailsThursday of what it called a multi-stage effort by Russia to target specific government entities and critical infrastructure.

The Trump administration announced extensive sanctions against Russia on Thursday morning, which included sanctions on the Internet Research Agency, a Russian troll farm that produced divisive political posts on American social media platforms during the 2016 presidential election. 

According to the DHS, Russia accessed US government networks by initially targeting with malware small commercial third-party networks that were less secure.

Read more: https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/15/politics/dhs-fbi-russia-power-grid/index.html 

• Platinum Contributing Member

I recall some years ago Russia doing something similar to warn us what they could do.   It was in retaliation for a cyber attack we had done on them or possibly Iran.   It may have been over the Stuxnet virus that got leaked into Russian nuclear plants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet

There is a documentary called Zero Days that was really good on this whole thing.   It was a US/Israel joint program to take out Iranian centrifuges.

According to expert Eugene Kaspersky, the worm also infected a nuclear power plant in Russia. Kaspersky noted, however, that since the power plant is not connected to the public Internet, the system should remain safe.[34]

In 2016 it was revealed that General James Cartwright, the former head of the U.S. Strategic Command, had leaked information related to Stuxnet. He later pleaded guilty for lying to FBI agents pursuing an investigation into the leak.[162][163] On 17 January 2017, he was granted a full pardon in this case by President Obama, thereby expunging his conviction.

Edited by Highmark

Lets be clear this is nothing new.  Sadly the next major conflict could easily arise from something like this.  

http://time.com/3757513/electricity-power-grid-attack-energy-security/

The National Power Grid Is Under Almost Continuous Attack, Report Says

You never see any threads or stories about what the US is doing to other countries. If Russia and China are killing our "spies" then something must be going on, eh? :lol: 

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Lets be clear this is nothing new.  Sadly the next major conflict could easily arise from something like this.  

http://time.com/3757513/electricity-power-grid-attack-energy-security/

The National Power Grid Is Under Almost Continuous Attack, Report Says

Time to go "off the grid"!!!! Fuck Russia!!!!!11

4 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

You never see any threads or stories about what the US is doing to other countries. If Russia and China are killing our "spies" then something must be going on, eh? :lol: 

No, we don't have spies doing that nasty stuff.  We're the GOOD GUYS!!!!!!  And also, we don't assisinate people either.  Again..."good guys"!

THIS SHIT DONE BY RUSSIA IS AN OUTRAGE!!!!!  (wink, wink)

8 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

No, we don't have spies doing that nasty stuff.  We're the GOOD GUYS!!!!!!  And also, we don't assisinate people either.  Again..."good guys"!

THIS SHIT DONE BY RUSSIA IS AN OUTRAGE!!!!!  (wink, wink)

I know right? Our spies are just there spreading the word of Jesus and Freedom. :bc: 

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

There will be a nuclear war with Russia and China. There’s no way America can continue to dodge karma’s raindrops for all the pain it’s created in the world. Nope. 

Holy shit.  You digging a shelter this weekend?  I just know you are going to invite me to live out Armageddon with you.  Let me know when it’s about done...I’ll bring some of my toiletries.

13 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Holy shit.  You digging a shelter this weekend?  I just know you are going to invite me to live out Armageddon with you.  Let me know when it’s about done...I’ll bring some of my toiletries.

I’m going to a bbq before the reds decide to push the button down 

11 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Kinda sad you fuckin fake Patriots don’t care about national security.

So how long does it take for the sky to actually fall in your world? It's been falling for a year-and-a-half now