Sidewinder

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, MiSledder said:

Rail road beds are riveting 

There are quite a few in northern Maine. Great to get somewhere fast but otherwise quite boring. But some of the best field riding in the east.

9 hours ago, Snake said:

In The County, those are the turns. :news:

I don't trust myself on a machine that fast anymore.  Theres only so much speed you can carry down those lanes, without worrying about a deer coming from the trees or a washout.  Hell my 180 horse turbo got me in enough trouble....another 30-40 horse is the last thing I need. :lol: 

8 hours ago, Snake said:

I' not really good enough for that crew anymore... :lol:

Oh stop it. :lol: C'mon up tonight.  Silverbag is taking us into the Alligash tomorrow....I got 8 gals of gas strapped.  Daktari adventure.   :bc: 

15 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I don't trust myself on a machine that fast anymore.  Theres only so much speed you can carry down those lanes, without worrying about a deer coming from the trees or a washout.  Hell my 180 horse turbo got me in enough trouble....another 30-40 horse is the last thing I need. :lol: 

Oh stop it. :lol: C'mon up tonight.  Silverbag is taking us into the Alligash tomorrow....I got 8 gals of gas strapped.  Daktari adventure.   :bc: 

mmmmm, good beer. :lol:

I agree with you about the speed thing, had too many close calls with deer, other riders, other obstacles. my balls have shrank in the last several years. now I'm not a 35 mph type dude, but 80-90 on trails, day or night, are likely over.

6 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

That is pretty bad ass. She spools up pretty quick for sure. 

They are incredibly linear.   Hard to tell you are actually driving a turbo other than the raw acceleration.  

Edited by Highmark

7 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

mmmmm, good beer. :lol:

I agree with you about the speed thing, had too many close calls with deer, other riders, other obstacles. my balls have shrank in the last several years. now I'm not a 35 mph type dude, but 80-90 on trails, day or night, are likely over.

X2.  I never thought about it, and laughed off more close calls than I can count over the years.  Lately, I've become much more risk averse.Good buddy of ours bought a couple 900 ACES for he and his wife.  People may laugh but no one waits for him, they go 80-85 mph, fast enough.  And get 20 mpg with no oil use.  I estimated that two weekends we put on 500 miles in 2-3 days, I spent 250 bucks in gas and oil, just for the sled.  Do the math on a 3-4000 mile season, the savings are huge.  I don't know how Moes turbo is on fuel, but bet its not too bad if you don't keep the turbos spooled up all the time.

Edited by DriftBusta

The best way to show us the arm stretch would be to line up against a few other sleds. We know that stock winders are only a few sled length faster than 800s in 1000' ......so ...there's that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

X2.  I never thought about it, and laughed off more close calls than I can count over the years.  Lately, I've become much more risk averse.Good buddy of ours bought a couple 900 ACES for he and his wife.  People may laugh but no one waits for him, they go 80-85 mph, fast enough.  And get 20 mpg with no oil use.  I estimated that two weekends we put on 500 miles in 2-3 days, I spent 250 bucks in gas and oil, just for the sled.  Do the math on a 3-4000 mile season, the savings are huge.  I don't know how Moes turbo is on fuel, but bet its not too bad if you don't keep the turbos spooled up all the time.

20 mpg is high...mind you my riding style might be different..

Just now, DAVE said:

Riverside Cat closed up in PA finally

Our dealer was good when my buddy opened and ran it. They had actual snowmobile enthusiasts in there which helps a lot. But his wife got cancer and he didn’t need the small tuppence of cash that it produce so he sold it to some losers who destroyed its reputation. Quite unfortunate really 

Just now, Rod Johnson said:

Our dealer was good when my buddy opened and ran it. They had actual snowmobile enthusiasts in there which helps a lot. But his wife got cancer and he didn’t need the small tuppence of cash that it produce so he sold it to some losers who destroyed its reputation. Quite unfortunate really 

You cant give away a cat here...

1 minute ago, Rod Johnson said:

Hard here too. They’re junk. Procross has been a disaster imo 

Funny thing was you saw lots of tcats and sdwdrs last yr at shacks....the few shacks ive been too this yr havent seen one....weird

2 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Funny thing was you saw lots of tcats and sdwdrs last yr at shacks....the few shacks ive been too this yr havent seen one....weird

I don’t like how the engine is mounted to the cooler. Not somehing I’d want to hang onto long term and I don’t ride enough to justify trading every year or two 

Just now, Rod Johnson said:

I don’t like how the engine is mounted to the cooler. Not somehing I’d want to hang onto long term and I don’t ride enough to justify trading every year or two 

Seen one yesterday on the book for 14g

22 minutes ago, f7ben said:

The best way to show us the arm stretch would be to line up against a few other sleds. We know that stock winders are only a few sled length faster than 800s in 1000' ......so ...there's that

I think at 1000 feet there are more than a couple sled lengths (if you can get the turbo to hook up) from what I've seen real world.    

In the Amsnow shootout the Winders were .35 seconds faster than the quickest 800 in 1000 feet.  At 100 mph that's approximately 51 feet.  Yeah I know it can't be exactly calculated like that but close considering at 600 feet there was already a .18 sec gap.   You are also doing 8-10 mph faster so sled lengths are gaining damn fast at that point. 

I was surprised how close a stock winder was to my boosted one and I can tell you racing some pretty fast 800's including one of my own with my boosted Winder its like they are standing still.   In 1000 feet the gap would easily be 10-15 sled lengths or more.  I'd say a stock winder vs 800 is in the 5-10 sled length range at 1000'.  Again equal traction which is a challenge on the Turbo. 

I've raced some fast 800's with my winder set at 270 with my wife on in front of me and its amazing how many sled lengths I put on them in 1000 feet.  

Edited by Highmark

I've got a friend with a Sidewinder turbo. He was getting about the same mileage as I was with my 1200. 15-18 mpg

11 hours ago, Snake said:

In The County, those are the turns. :news:

Good stuff! A little more toe out on the skis and it will eliminate the slight dart that is there :bc: 

It's age, I'm still hurting from a stunt I did a few weeks ago in parking lot, last weekend I took it somewhat easy as my right shoulder was on fire, Sunday morning I felt like a million dollars and I just clamped it for 45 miles running back to the truck, loading up my buds sled I slipped on the trailer and landed on my right elbow hard......MOTHERFUCKER!!! :lol::lol::lol: 

I did 4.5 seasons on turbos, they are a blast!!

30 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Do we know if Snake's is all stock? That looks pretty fast. The turbo vs 800 argument really means shit to me as I prefer a trail weapon over the lake racer. Dan burned his pro S up and has been riding a sidewinder. He's going up to Munising today and is taking an assault instead. Said sidewinder is a terrible trail machine. Said the added weight, especially off trail is not as fun. So theres that... :dunno: 

3 minutes ago, T1R9sledder said:

I've got a friend with a Sidewinder turbo. He was getting about the same mileage as I was with my 1200. 15-18 mpg

This past weekend my buddy on his Sidewinder got about 10.7 mpg while I got 10.5 on my 800.