NEWS Pedestrian bridge collapses leaving ‘casualties’ at Florida University The bridge, located at 109th Ave and 8th Street, collapsed on a number of cars.

• Gold Member
32 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

How do ya fuck that up ? I could have engineered that with a simple building code book

Yeah seems more likely it was faulty materials or shoddy construction.

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, Snoslinger said:

yep. I read it was one of his contractors and trump told him to save money every where he could. I don't doubt if for a second.

:lol:

• Gold Member
14 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

You don't know much about construction.

That's true but a small bridge like this doesn't require complicated engineering. No question a piece could be under engineered and that caused it but I'm betting it was construction or materials and not engineering that lead to this.

24 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

yep. I read it was one of his contractors and trump told him to save money every where he could. I don't doubt if for a second.

why would you mother Jones reporting is so solid lmfao 

2 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

That's true but a small bridge like this doesn't require complicated engineering. No question a piece could be under engineered and that caused it but I'm betting it was construction or materials and not engineering that lead to this.

There are all kinds of material submittals that have to submitted and approved before purchase and installation, then there are rough-in inspections and concrete samples. This bridge appears to be pre-fab construction which means it was built off site then lifted and installed on supports, it also appears that there was no center support and that the bridge was suspended.

I'm guessing that the empty yard in this pic is where the bridge was built before it was craned onto the supports.

Emergency personnel respond to the scene of a deadly bridge collapse in Miami on Thursday, March 15. The bridge was installed Saturday at Florida International University.

The bridge connects the university with the city of Sweetwater and was installed on Saturday in six hours over the eight-lane highway, according to a story that was posted on the university's website. It was 174 feet (53 m) long and weighed 950 tons.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/six-to-10-people-killed-in-florida-foot-bridge-collapse-senator/ar-BBKgDSH

19 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

We need to get back to educating in college and teach engineers to engineer in college is the problem

Pre college even! Did anyone else make those Balsa wood bridges in fucking grade school?? Build the bridge in teams, then hang weights from the center, the winner got a trophy? Anyone? 

Edited by Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

• Gold Member
14 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Pre college even! Did anyone else make those Balsa wood bridges in fucking grade school?? Build the bridge in teams, then hang weights from the center, the winner got a trophy? Anyone? 

Yep, we built wood powered CO2 cars in grade school as well.   We had mechanics, welding, and wood working in high school.  Could take 2 years of each.

• Thanks 1