Coyotes

Sksman

Tonight I had my dogs out on the lawn for their night let out and The dogs were on edge and were looking towards the hill and creek.  Then I heard rustling in the old leaves and grass and a coyote chased a rabbit across the grass and almost had it when rabbit went under pool gate.  Coyote ran into the gate.   It disappeared down the hill for a minute and then came back up and across the lawn a little towards us checking out my 2 miniature Australian Shepard’s.   It ran off as soon as I walked towards it.  Good thing we keep the dogs on long leads.

I guess I will have to go down and search the ravine again this weekend and see if I can find him.  Generally if I search for him I can scare him up and move him around the ravine a couple times on a weekend he feels threatened and clears out for a bit.  Piss in his bed area.  

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

Tonight I had my dogs out on the lawn for their night let out and The dogs were on edge and were looking towards the hill and creek.  Then I heard rustling in the old leaves and grass and a coyote chased a rabbit across the grass and almost had it when rabbit went under pool gate.  Coyote ran into the gate.   It disappeared down the hill for a minute and then came back up and across the lawn a little towards us checking out my 2 miniature Australian Shepard’s.   It ran off as soon as I walked towards it.  Good thing we keep the dogs on long leads.

I guess I will have to go down and search the ravine again this weekend and see if I can find him.  Generally if I search for him I can scare him up and move him around the ravine a couple times on a weekend he feels threatened and clears out for a bit.  Piss in his bed area.  

I've lost alot of cats over the years, coyotes are everywhere here.  Hear them at night loud as fuck and spooky in the fog

They don't tend to jump fences

good luck scaring him 

All the building around Milton pushed coyotes into ravines like 16 mile creek which runs behind our property.  There were a good number of coyotes a couple years ago  one neighbour saw 7 in a group fighting just down from our house.  Then mange hit them hard and we didn’t see many all last year.

Good snow for running the fence and bush lines at/ before dusk on sleds at home this year.

One last trip north to K Lake this weekend, then it's game on for some Wylie's.

one down.jpg

Edited by lastzrt
  • Like 1

I could shoot them from my living room sliding doors some days/evenings.   Easily.  A little bait and would be even easier. 

But I am in Milton.  Right in town.  Not a good spot for gunshots  

Yes one of my neighbours used to feed them.  Even after the coyotes ate their cat.  Can’t say all people are smart. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Sksman said:

I could shoot them from my living room sliding doors some days/evenings.   Easily.  A little bait and would be even easier. 

But I am in Milton.  Right in town.  Not a good spot for gunshots  

Yes one of my neighbours used to feed them.  Even after the coyotes ate their cat.  Can’t say all people are smart. 

Same with me, my yard backs out to fairly large forested area.  Some nights the coyote screams are amazing, you sure know when they have a kill.

I hear them all the time in Georgetown across the rd at the local farm field, I haven't seen a deer in the area in a couple yrs but have lots of rabbits

19 minutes ago, toslow said:

I hear them all the time in Georgetown across the rd at the local farm field, I haven't seen a deer in the area in a couple yrs but have lots of rabbits

Plenty of rabbits means plenty of Coyotes.....rabbits gone, Coyotes move to another area.  Its a cycle...

6 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Caught one trying to drink from my pond.  

5aaaae4127ea5_2017-06-1120_18_04.thumb.jpg.2edbf9401f6bf325bba5f5d0a96effc8.jpg

Looks exactly like my husky.

15 minutes ago, Poncho said:

Plenty of rabbits means plenty of Coyotes.....rabbits gone, Coyotes move to another area.  Its a cycle...

Yep.  Slim on rabbits here but plenty of deer so, we’ve got the “upsized coyotes”.

2 hours ago, Sksman said:

That is one good thing about 'yotes - they get rid of domestic cats that ignorant owners let run loose.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Looks exactly like my husky.

Yep.  Slim on rabbits here but plenty of deer so, we’ve got the “upsized coyotes”.

We domesticated him.  Even plays with the cat. 

image.thumb.png.4b35d8891dc5d0b640b7e8eff40e305f.png

• Like 1

We thought we lost our cat last fall. My wife let him out around 6:50 am and and I began calling for him around 8 as he was usually out for 20 minutes give or take. When I was around the front of the house, a city of Oshawa van pulls up to my neighbor's house and proceeds to pick up a half eaten dead cat off his front lawn. When I seen it I knew it wasn't ours but thought it was a cat mine played with occasionally. I called and called for ours to no avail. My wife came home that night and knew something was wrong. We both continued to call/look for him that night and all the next day. I went out Saturday night around 10 for one last futile call and of course, nothing. Just as I was thinking about hitting the sheets, my wife yelled, he is back! I ran upstairs and sure enough, there he was, all soaking wet but no worse for wear, thankfully. We're not sure what happened, whether he got chased or if he just hid seeing the cat getting killed or finding it already dead? Either way, something happened as he had never been gone that long before. For days after he was afraid to go outside and if he did, it was for less than a minute usually. We live near the Oshawa airport and with the ravine/green space around there, it is a great spot for them, but after that incident, and with the amount of rabbits around, my guess is they have moved out. We have noticed in the past, lots of rabbits means no yotes, and no rabbits means they are around. The airport was shut down at that time but with it up and running again, I think they've been spooked and have moved one, thankfully. 

29 minutes ago, irv said:

We thought we lost our cat last fall. My wife let him out around 6:50 am and and I began calling for him around 8 as he was usually out for 20 minutes give or take. When I was around the front of the house, a city of Oshawa van pulls up to my neighbor's house and proceeds to pick up a half eaten dead cat off his front lawn. When I seen it I knew it wasn't ours but thought it was a cat mine played with occasionally. I called and called for ours to no avail. My wife came home that night and knew something was wrong. We both continued to call/look for him that night and all the next day. I went out Saturday night around 10 for one last futile call and of course, nothing. Just as I was thinking about hitting the sheets, my wife yelled, he is back! I ran upstairs and sure enough, there he was, all soaking wet but no worse for wear, thankfully. We're not sure what happened, whether he got chased or if he just hid seeing the cat getting killed or finding it already dead? Either way, something happened as he had never been gone that long before. For days after he was afraid to go outside and if he did, it was for less than a minute usually. We live near the Oshawa airport and with the ravine/green space around there, it is a great spot for them, but after that incident, and with the amount of rabbits around, my guess is they have moved out. We have noticed in the past, lots of rabbits means no yotes, and no rabbits means they are around. The airport was shut down at that time but with it up and running again, I think they've been spooked and have moved one, thankfully. 

The cat likely hid under the Apex and the Coyotes couldn't move it out of the way to get at him......:)  smart cat

Pro & cons, they have a purpose, just like most other animals.....and if you live in an area that is known to have them, why let your cat or dog run free or left unattended, just looking for heartache. Usually scare pretty easy, but if become a nuisance, need to take matters into your hands.

Around my area, there is a lot of new building going on decreasing the Green space, use to hear them off on the distance fairly often at night, not so much anymore......but the increase in rabbits has been significant - must be a connection.