What should be done about the opioid epidemic in America?

24 minutes ago, Highmark said:

No market, no sales.   The docs are the problem.  Seen it first hand with my kids at the over prescribing of pain killers.  

So big pharma has no culpability in doing the big sell to the doctors to get product moving and to keep it moving.........

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Mileage Psycho said:

So big pharma has no culpability in doing the big sell to the doctors to get product moving and to keep it moving.........

The doctors are the ones to diagnose and over prescribe.   They are most culpable.

Where big pharma needs to be hit is if they have advertised/sold their product as non addictive when it was.  

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

The doctors are the ones to diagnose and over prescribe.   They are most culpable.

Where big pharma needs to be hit is if they have advertised/sold their product as non addictive when it was.  

They sure don’t do that here and we have to pay for our meds 

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

It's a long read and I would suspect that isn't your strong suit (but I could be wrong) in any event it highlights and discusses all those who have their fingerprints all over the "opioid crisis".

https://www.drugwatch.com/featured/opioid-crisis-big-pharma/

32 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

It's a long read and I would suspect that isn't your strong suit (but I could be wrong) in any event it highlights and discusses all those who have their fingerprints all over the "opioid crisis".

https://www.drugwatch.com/featured/opioid-crisis-big-pharma/

I'm well aware of what is going on.   I just think doctors have the most control on who gets their hands on pain killers.  Again I've seen it first hand with my kids.   Crazy how much they prescribed and even worse they say if you need more just call us.  

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I'm well aware of what is going on.   I just think doctors have the most control on who gets their hands on pain killers.  Again I've seen it first hand with my kids.   Crazy how much they prescribed and even worse they say if you need more just call us.  

You and I have mentioned this before.  I've still got tons of pain killers that were prescribed to me.  I mean....almost full bottles.  Pretty clear these are being handed out in an out of control fashion.  Or else, how are so many ending up on the streets for sale?

48 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

You and I have mentioned this before.  I've still got tons of pain killers that were prescribed to me.  I mean....almost full bottles.  Pretty clear these are being handed out in an out of control fashion.  Or else, how are so many ending up on the streets for sale?

I mentioned early that a paradigm shift in medicine needs to occur. There’s a lot of factors going into this mess. One of the top culprits is quality assurance reviews by both JCAHO and insurance companies. If patients complain about pain on questionires or samplings of patient satisfaction surveys, they (health care providers) risk being cited by the feds or removed from an insurance companies provider list. So some of this prescribing is adaptive to bad expectations. 

16 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

I was on opioids last week. Meh. Not a big D

msot people can handle them but many can't.  I rationed my sons after his last 2 surgeries and got him off after less than 10 each time,  many pound the whole bottle and are fine but why take the risk when they are really more of a crutch after a few days

2 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

msot people can handle them but many can't.  I rationed my sons after his last 2 surgeries and got him off after less than 10 each time,  many pound the whole bottle and are fine but why take the risk when they are really more of a crutch after a few days

My boys each had major surgery and I don't think either were on them any after they left the hospital even though we left with sickening amounts (available and more prescriptions to be filled).  We were very clear saying don't expect not to go thru some discomfort.  American's for the most part have become pussies when it comes to pain.

22 hours ago, spin_dry said:

American hypocrisy  

Heroin deaths-15,000

prescription opiate deaths-20,000

alcohol related deaths-90,000

Tobacco related deaths-480,000 

Problem is, most of the people dying from it are in their 20s. It's skewing the actual life expectancy age in the country it's that bad. I'm surprised that your attitude here.

Sue the living shit out of the drug co.'s , the dem trial lawyers will line their pockets , then use any settlement dollars that the states collect  , to fill budget holes of overspending . ( granholm (d) in MI did this with all the tobacco dollars )  Then the people that need the help tell them to pay up for demobamacare . Follow the monies from big drug co.'s , into elected pols pockets and special interest PAC groups. ZERO clean hands from both parties.

:dunno:

Maybe, Michigan has tougher enforcement of prescription drugs, but around here you are not getting not getting any more than 30 pills, with no refills, from a legitimate doctor.  My wife was telling me, they are now sending people out post op from major surgery with no pain killers. I can't believe there would be any competent doctors risking their license by handing out pain killers for a bump, scrape or tooth ache.   

1 hour ago, s pump said:

Problem is, most of the people dying from it are in their 20s. It's skewing the actual life expectancy age in the country it's that bad. I'm surprised that your attitude here.

Tobacco and alcohol have both been skewing life expectancy for years. It seems to always get a pass. Especially alcohol. The most costly to society is tobacco. All the others can’t even come close.

1 hour ago, Cold War said:

Maybe, Michigan has tougher enforcement of prescription drugs, but around here you are not getting not getting any more than 30 pills, with no refills, from a legitimate doctor.  My wife was telling me, they are now sending people out post op from major surgery with no pain killers. I can't believe there would be any competent doctors risking their license by handing out pain killers for a bump, scrape or tooth ache.   

My daughter was prescribed some Norcos after her knee surgery but IIRC it wasn't a large scrip and she only used for a couple days and after that Ibuprofen. My wife is prescribed Norco as well for her pain but rarely takes them and when she does she takes half a pill.

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

My daughter was prescribed some Norcos after her knee surgery but IIRC it wasn't a large scrip and she only used for a couple days and after that Ibuprofen. My wife is prescribed Norco as well for her pain but rarely takes them and when she does she takes half a pill.

They made my daughter sick to her stomach,  she  couldn't take them. She was prescribed Norco after her foot surgery.  I was taking them for chronic back problems before the whole "opioid epidemic"  blew up.  I honestly don't see what the fuss is all about, never took more than prescribed dose, but it never made me feel high or euphoric.  When all the crap came out in the news , I just stopped taking them, never felt like I needed to go on heroin.  I now take Meloxicam. which seems to work about the same with out all the hysteria.

4 hours ago, Cold War said:

That’s the issue. 30 pills is enough to kick off addiction. In 90% of cases a two days supply is adequate. Every week that a person stays on opiates increases the likelihood by 30% that they’ll be on the drug a year later with symptoms of “chronic pain”. 

28 minutes ago, SSFB said:

29216946_1634441309976541_73716311567701

The company knowingly covered up the addictive potential of OxyContin. The executive emails are available. Instead of jail or possibly the death penalty for company executives, the company received a $660,000,000 dollar fine. Chump change. 

Edited by spin_dry

My daughter just had her appendix out and they gave her the oxycodone. She only took it the first couple days when she was really hurting. 

54 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

The company knowingly covered up the addictive potential of OxyContin. The executive emails are available. Instead of jail or possibly the death penalty for company executives, the company received a $660,000,000 dollar fine. Chump change. 

Yep, financial penalties don't mean anything to these companies when they've already made tons of profit. 

Drug Distributors Shipped 20.8 Million Painkillers To West Virginia Town Of 3,000

Williamson, W.Va., sits right across the Tug Fork river from Kentucky. The town has sites dedicated to its coal mining heritage and the Hatfield and McCoy feud and counts just about 3,000 residents.

But despite its small size, drug wholesalers sent more than 20.8 million prescription painkillers to the town from 2008 and 2015, according to an investigation by the House Committee on Energy and Commerce. The opioids — hydrocodone and oxycodone pills — were provided to two pharmacies just four blocks apart.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/01/30/581930051/drug-distributors-shipped-20-8-million-painkillers-to-west-virginia-town-of-3-00

2 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Drug Distributors Shipped 20.8 Million Painkillers To West Virginia Town Of 3,000

Williamson, W.Va., sits right across the Tug Fork river from Kentucky. The town has sites dedicated to its coal mining heritage and the Hatfield and McCoy feud and counts just about 3,000 residents.

But despite its small size, drug wholesalers sent more than 20.8 million prescription painkillers to the town from 2008 and 2015, according to an investigation by the House Committee on Energy and Commerce. The opioids — hydrocodone and oxycodone pills — were provided to two pharmacies just four blocks apart.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/01/30/581930051/drug-distributors-shipped-20-8-million-painkillers-to-west-virginia-town-of-3-00

Wait, it’s not the drug manufacturers. :lol: