Archery.

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 3/14/2018 at 12:46 PM, spin_dry said:

I stopped in my middle-late 20’s and I’m getting back into it. Im guessing that a few of you are into it. Ive been looking at used bows. It seems the technology changes so fast and a two year old bow can be had for less than half of what it cost retail. Any suggestions? 

I'm a Mathew's shooter myself.   Lots of good choices out there.   I don't really think the technology is growing that fast per say as much as bow hunters just seem to like to upgrade often.   Not me I'm still shooting a Mathew's Reezen that I've had for about 8 years.

Really all depends on how you will use your bow.  I like bows that are fast but have a smooth draw.   I'm not a huge fan of bows that have a big flop over from the cams.   Doesn't allow me to be as smooth on the draw when in the field as often times deer are alert when you draw.   Compact and light play a very important role for me. 

I also don't like shooting multiple pins.   I won't shoot past 35 yards so its pretty easy to set up for one pin with faster bows.   Generally I'll set up for shooting couple inches high in the 20-25 yard range which puts me an inch or two low at 35.   All reasonable to deal with.  

Make sure you shoot multiple bows.   That's why I prefer local archery shops.   Set up an appointment and make sure they know your draw length so they can have some set up to shoot.   I've always felt bows just let me know which one I like when I shoot them.   

Good arrow's are important to.   You don't have to spend a ton on them but your shop should be able to help match them up with the type of bow you are shooting.  Some shoot better pending draw weight and length.   

I'll probably be adding the new Garmin sight to my bow this summer.   Integrated range finder that adjusts the pin based off distance and shot angle.   Been reading pretty good things about them.  Pricy but I like the technology.  

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/573347

Very important to be realistic with the draw weight you can handle.  Over estimating what you can handle even with the let off these bows have can lead to inaccuracy.  

Practice makes perfect.   Get good technique and posture.   Don't be concerned or fixated with holding the pin dead steady on the target.   Relax and let it float in and around the target.  learn to release upon the moment right before the pin floats over the target.  Makes for faster target acquisition as well.  Aim small miss small.  

Edited by Highmark
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I'm a Mathew's shooter myself.   Lots of good choices out there.   I don't really think the technology is growing that fast per say as much as bow hunters just seem to like to upgrade often.   Not me I'm still shooting a Mathew's Reezen that I've had for about 8 years.

Really all depends on how you will use your bow.  I like bows that are fast but have a smooth draw.   I'm not a huge fan of bows that have a big flop over from the cams.   Doesn't allow me to be as smooth on the draw when in the field as often times deer are alert when you draw.   Compact and light play a very important role for me. 

I also don't like shooting multiple pins.   I won't shoot past 35 yards so its pretty easy to set up for one pin with faster bows.   Generally I'll set up for shooting couple inches high in the 20-25 yard range which puts me an inch or two low at 35.   All reasonable to deal with.  

Make sure you shoot multiple bows.   That's why I prefer local archery shops.   Set up an appointment and make sure they know your draw length so they can have some set up to shoot.   I've always felt bows just let me know which one I like when I shoot them.   

Good arrow's are important to.   You don't have to spend a ton on them but your shop should be able to help match them up with the type of bow you are shooting.  Some shoot better pending draw weight and length.   

I'm going on 5+ years on my charger. Big fan, light accurate fun. Picked it up new on a sale, bow optics quiver and weight was under 500. Haven't shot a Mathews , looks like a nice rig.

9 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

I'm going on 5+ years on my charger. Big fan, light accurate fun. Picked it up new on a sale, bow optics quiver and weight was under 500. Haven't shot a Mathews , looks like a nice rig.

I like the single cam design.   Really smooth yet still zips them pretty good.  Compact.   My only wish is that it would be a touch lighter.   Its not bad but not like some of the new bows coming out.  My local shop owner has always been a Mathews guy until last year.   Think he's shooting one of the newer Hoyts now.   Keeps trying to get me to shoot one.   I'm afraid to because i know it will mean spending $1500+.  :lol:  

Edited by Highmark

• Gold Member
41 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I like the single cam design.   Really smooth yet still zips them pretty good.  Compact.   My only wish is that it would be a touch lighter.   Its not bad but not like some of the new bows coming out.  My local shop owner has always been a Mathews guy until last year.   Think he's shooting one of the newer Hoyts now.   Keeps trying to get me to shoot one.   I'm afraid to because i know it will mean spending $1500+.  :lol:  

You go to tournaments or anything? You shoot pin sights only?

6 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

You go to tournaments or anything? You shoot pin sights only?

No tournaments for me.   Practice and hunting only.   Pin with string sight and kisser for consistent anchor.  

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, Highmark said:

No tournaments for me.   Practice and hunting only.   Pin with string sight and kisser for consistent anchor.  

You should try 3D tournaments, when I was working in archery all the hunters talked about how much it helped for hunting. Plus it looked like a lot of fun.

Just now, Kivalo said:

You should try 3D tournaments, when I was working in archery all the hunters talked about how much it helped for hunting. Plus it looked like a lot of fun.

Thought about it and they do look like they would be fun.   There are some around but I got so much going on I'd rather do other things.  

9 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

Very fun! 👍

8 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Thought about it and they do look like they would be fun.   There are some around but I got so much going on I'd rather do other things.  

😖 I feel ya...