Archery.

I stopped in my middle-late 20’s and I’m getting back into it. Im guessing that a few of you are into it. Ive been looking at used bows. It seems the technology changes so fast and a two year old bow can be had for less than half of what it cost retail. Any suggestions? 

7 hours ago, spin_dry said:

I stopped in my middle-late 20’s and I’m getting back into it. Im guessing that a few of you are into it. Ive been looking at used bows. It seems the technology changes so fast and a two year old bow can be had for less than half of what it cost retail. Any suggestions? 

Hoyt charger. :thumbsup:

Very nice for the price, new or used.

10 hours ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Link? Never heard of it. Google telling me it's a video game thing?

Long time ago, They were manufactured in Milwaukee, probably out of business by now.

7 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

spin , ever consider a crossbow? You said in another thread you were old. Lotta states allowing them for hunting for old dudes.Some states for kinda old.

That's an option. With the technology of the compound bows nowadays, allowing 85-90% let off, make it extremely easy to hold draw until ready to release. It's quite impressive. The difference in price between comparable compound and cross bows, close to double...

17 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Go to Cabela's or a similar store and try out various bows to see what you like and most importantly what fits you.

2 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

spin , ever consider a crossbow? You said in another thread you were old. Lotta states allowing them for hunting for old dudes.Some states for kinda old.

I've have partially torn labrums and rotators along with impingement in each shoulder, I can draw a bow but the grinding in the shoulder sucks so I went with a crossbow several years ago, what a weapon! Every deer I have taken with it has lost both lungs and the heart, my first deer with it was an 8 pointer after I released the bolt I heard it hit the ground and was like what the fuck how did I miss!! Right through the body and without question the broadhead did more devastation than any 12 ga. sabot that I have used.

I got to thinking about it, the Root Diablo may have been the model of the long Bow I used to shoot at Golden Arrow Archery target range, the manufacture might have been called Whiffen. It was in the 1960's so awhile ago.

9 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

That's an option. With the technology of the compound bows nowadays, allowing 85-90% let off, make it extremely easy to hold draw until ready to release. It's quite impressive. The difference in price between comparable compound and cross bows, close to double...

You don't have to spend much money, I have a Barnett Wildcat C5 (it's a little heavy) it's not the arrow, it's the indian :thumbsup:

13 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Go to Cabela's or a similar store and try out various bows to see what you like and most importantly what fits you.

I've have partially torn labrums and rotators along with impingement in each shoulder, I can draw a bow but the grinding in the shoulder sucks so I went with a crossbow several years ago, what a weapon! Every deer I have taken with it has lost both lungs and the heart, my first deer with it was an 8 pointer after I released the bolt I heard it hit the ground and was like what the fuck how did I miss!! Right through the body and without question the broadhead did more devastation than any 12 ga. sabot that I have used.

I’m trying out some this weekend. Fortunately my shoulders are good. Have you tried any of the hanging techniques for shoulder issues? There’s a orthopedic surgeon that wrote an excellent book on it. I swear by it.  

37 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

No, not in the market for a cross bow. This isn’t for hunting. Just want it for a hobby. The only hunting I do now is my annual trip for wild boar. 

3 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I’m trying out some this weekend. Fortunately my shoulders are good. Have you tried any of the hanging techniques for shoulder issues? There’s a orthopedic surgeon that wrote an excellent book on it. I swear by it.  

Does it help lower back too? Link?

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

I do a lot of pulls to strengthen the back to pull the scapula back away from the humerus, last month I fucked up a power slide donut in a parking lot and got slammed to pavement on my right side, the elbow smashed hard and jammed the humerus up into the shoulder like a motherfucker, x-rays were negative the next day, see the ortho Tuesday and hopefully it's just a cortisone shot to get me back on track where I can use my right arm without pain or discomfort.

EDIT: To answer your question, no. Pulls should be similar to hanging?

Edited by Mileage Psycho

15 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I do a lot of pulls to strengthen the back to pull the scapula back away from the humerus, last month I fucked up a power slide donut in a parking lot and got slammed to pavement on my right side, the elbow smashed hard and jammed the humerus up into the shoulder like a motherfucker, x-rays were negative the next day, see the ortho Tuesday and hopefully it's just a cortisone shot to get me back on track where I can use my right arm without pain or discomfort.

EDIT: To answer your question, no. Pulls should be similar to hanging?

OUCH!!