Remember the good times...

WASHINGTON — President Clinton and his wife started shipping White House furniture to the Clintons' newly purchased home in New York more than a year ago, despite questions at the time by the White House chief usher about whether they were entitled to remove the items.

The day before the items were shipped out, chief usher Gary Walters said he questioned whether the Clintons should be taking the furnishings because he believed they were government property donated as part of a White House redecoration project in 1993, during Clinton's first year in office.

But Walters was told by the White House counsel's office that the items he asked about--which included an iron-and-glass coffee table, a painted TV armoire, a custom wood gaming table and a wicker table with wood top--were "personal gifts received by the Clintons prior to President Clinton assuming office."

Personal property brought to the White House by an incoming president does not have to be disclosed on financial reports. As a result of the counsel's determination, the furnishings were sent on to the Clinton's new home in Chappaqua, N.Y.

pixel.gif

However, government records show that the gifts that concerned Walters did not arrive at the White House until after the Clintons moved in. At least one of these items, a Ficks-Reed wicker table, was logged in at the White House on Feb. 8, 1993. The widow of the manufacturer, Joy Ficks, said last week that it was meant for the White House, not the Clintons.

This week, the Clintons returned the four items to the White House, along with other furnishings, after questions were raised about whether they actually belonged to the Clintons. All the furnishings had been designated official White House property by the Park Service in 1993.

Julia Payne, a spokeswoman for the former president, said the Clintons wanted to be "over cautious" in light of the concerns that had been raised. Despite the questions posed by Walters, Payne said the Clintons or their interior decorator acquired the four items in Little Rock, Ark., before they came to Washington.

Kaki Hockersmith, the interior decorator, did not return repeated calls this week seeking comment.

The Clintons came under strong criticism after disclosing that they were taking with them $190,000 in gifts received over the last eight years. GOP lawmakers and others criticized Hillary Rodham Clinton in particular for accepting many presents just before she joined the Senate and became covered by strict ethics rules that prohibit accepting gifts worth more than $50.

Bowing to such criticism, the Clintons decided Feb. 2 to pay for $86,000 worth of gifts given them in 2000. This week, they agreed to return another set of gifts, including the four items questioned by Walters, and $28,500 more in furnishings identified by the Washington Post this week as having been legally designated as White House property by the National Park Service.

Walters said he accepted the determination of the counsel's office that the gifts were personal Clinton property without a fuss. "I'm not a lawyer. I didn't feel I was in a position to argue with the counsel's office." He said he'd been troubled all along by the lack of donor letters.

Payne said, "No item, nothing, was removed without the approval of the usher's and curator's office."

Walters blamed himself for not raising questions when the rest of the furnishings were taken from the White House last month. He said an aide to Sen. Clinton had told him these too were "the Clintons' personal property."

"I should have asked for more specifics on these items," he said. "I shoulder the blame for not saying, 'Hey, wait a minute.' "

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/feb/10/news/mn-23723

19 minutes ago, Snake said:

Bowing to such criticism, the Clintons decided Feb. 2 to pay for $86,000 worth of gifts given them in 2000. This week, they agreed to return another set of gifts, including the four items questioned by Walters, and $28,500 more in furnishings identified by the Washington Post this week as having been legally designated as White House property by the National Park Service.

Literally stealing from the American people.

Class.

2 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

:lol: wgaf? besides, trump will ruin the stuff with ketchup, tartar sauce, special sauce (mcdonalds, although maybe some of his own mixed with hooker), taco sauce, diet coke and drool stains. 

Youre just jealous.....because you never have any fun in butthurtville.

you're right snake, i don't fucking care. i'm sure someone could find all kinds of things, from every fucking president that resided in the WH, that would fall under the same category as this petty bull shit. what's even funnier is your boy in the WH now, with all kinds of "conflicts" which will make hail in comparison to these items, getting a free pass from you clowns.  

you're right snake, i don't fucking care. i'm sure someone could find all kinds of things, from every fucking president that resided in the WH, that would fall under the same category as this petty bull shit. what's even funnier is your boy in the WH now, with all kinds of "conflicts" which will make hail in comparison to these items, getting a free pass from you clowns.  

Link?

25 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

:lol: wgaf? besides, trump will ruin the stuff with ketchup, tartar sauce, special sauce (mcdonalds, although maybe some of his own mixed with hooker), taco sauce, diet coke and drool stains. 

To late. Obama left chicken bones all over the floor and watermelon and gravy stains all over the furniture.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Just wondering what the Eisenhower’s took?

Do some research and see if he also tried to steal $100,000 of the people's property.

do you think hillary and bill sat down and went through every piece of material in the WH before they moved? like "what do ya think bill, should we take this?" "i dont know hillary, we better do an extensive, deep research on where it came from before deciding. do you remember where we got it?. or maybe they sat around with a check off sheet? i'd be willing to bet they were hardly involved in the nuts and bolts of moving, and really couldn't give two shits about where the majority of the shit came from. an iron coffee table? :lol:where the fuck does this lame shit usually end up anyway? the garbage, as the next potus doesn't want it?

5 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

do you think hillary and bill sat down and went through every piece of material in the WH before they moved? like "what do ya think bill, should we take this?" "i dont know hillary, we better do an extensive, deep research on where it came from before deciding. do you remember where we got it?. or maybe they sat around with a check off sheet? i'd be willing to bet they were hardly involved in the nuts and bolts of moving, and really couldn't give two shits about where the majority of the shit came from. an iron coffee table? :lol:where the fuck does this lame shit usually end up anyway? the garbage, as the next potus doesn't want it?

Seems a simple call to the usher and curator were in order.

Were their fingers broke? Did they have no one available to dial for them?

7 minutes ago, Snake said:

Seems a simple call to the usher and curator were in order.

Were their fingers broke? Did they have no one available to dial for them?

i'm sure they had much bigger things on their minds. like selling uranium to russia....

4 hours ago, Snake said:

And to think, Hillary said they were broke when they left the White House.  Yet they were able to pay for 86k worth of gifts?  What a web of lies that family has been involved in.

i'm sure they had much bigger things on their minds. like selling uranium to russia....

Amazing deflection.

"The Clinton's can steal, because it will just get thrown out anyway." :lol:

7 minutes ago, Snake said:

Amazing deflection.

"The Clinton's can steal, because it will just get thrown out anyway." :lol:

why are you not soaking up some FLA sunshine rather than in here pouting about clinton's  your iron coffee tables 

1 minute ago, Snoslinger said:

why are you not soaking up some FLA sunshine rather than in here pouting about clinton's  your iron coffee tables 

Because flight was cancelled.

Did you REALLY think shit got thrown away?