Sled and ATV trailers

Taillight

6 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Easier to tow?  If your tow vehicle can handle a 7 foot wide trailer, but not an 8.5 wide one....... the trailer is the least of your troubles!  And if you need extended mirrors, no big issue. 

I don't see snowmobiles getting narrower anytime soon, so I can't fathom not being able to park two of them side by side.  That's just me. 

Who said anything about the tow vehicle....a trailer that is not as wide will tow easier, with any tow vehicle....been stated by many that have towed them, personally I have no experience. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 8/18/2016 at 5:03 PM, Puzzleboy said:

Get an 8.5' wide trailer.  I honestly have no idea why a snowmobiler would buy a trailer any narrower.  I laugh when I see the guys backing them in, etc. 

I had a Haulmark 8.5 x 25 V-nose 4 place. It was a steel frame trailer and weighed 4300 lbs empty.

It was a deck over with a beaver tail and the interior space was great. But the height and weight made it way too much for my F150. It pushed all over the road and when you caught a cross wind with that thing you had better be hanging on tight. Behind my f350 it was ok, still a handful but manageable. But it scared me too many times with the half ton and I sold it for the 7.5.

The 7.5 is 2000 lbs lighter and a lot shorter. It pulls easy with a half ton with 3 sleds inside.

Edited by Blackstar

8 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I had a Haulmark 8.5 x 25 V-nose 4 place. It was a steel frame trailer and weighed 4300 lbs empty.

It was a deck over with a beaver tail and the interior space was great. But the height and weight made it way too much for my F150. It pushed all over the road and when you caught a cross wind with that thing you had better be hanging on tight. Behind my f350 it was ok, still a handful but manageable. But it scared me too many times with the half ton and I sold it for the 7.5.

The 7.5 is 2000 lbs lighter and a lot shorter. It pulls easy with a half ton with 3 sleds inside.

You obviously have a problem with your half ton tow vehicle :)

these trailer are so expensive. I was holding out for all aluminum. found an old style triton 4 place covered, the problem is the top is faded. I don't know if I could paint it or wrap it. don't want to spend more than a grand to wrap or paint. I'm on the fence to buy it now cheaply or wait till October ish to see what else comes on the market. but then I could run the risk of paying more...

but I also need the storage now...

Edited by Taillight

This.

I tow 7000 lbs routinely with a Grand Cherokee with no issues.  I'd say something was wrong with that Ford. 

On 2016-08-27 at 4:50 PM, Stoney said:

Edited by Puzzleboy

Well of course the aero and weight load will be less..... but like I said, do you not buy trailers for the functionality?  If somebody has issues towing an 8.5 wide trailer.... perhaps they shouldn't be on the road.  :)

8 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

This.

I tow 7000 lbs routinely with a Grand Cherokee with no issues.  I'd say something was wrong with that Ford. 

Well, it is a Ford after all....:pc:

If I'm not mistaken, you tow a boat, totally different than towing an enclosed trailer. 

8 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Well of course the aero and weight load will be less..... but like I said, do you not buy trailers for the functionality?  If somebody has issues towing an 8.5 wide trailer.... perhaps they shouldn't be on the road.  :)

For most applications, either size can work, comes down to your choice. 

I know towing for some can be a nail bitter when certain conditions come about, so if the slightly narrower trailer tows better, is cheaper and fits the bill, have at er. 

10 hours ago, Taillight said:

these trailer are so expensive. I was holding out for all aluminum. found an old style triton 4 place covered, the problem is the top is faded. I don't know if I could paint it or wrap it. don't want to spend more than a grand to wrap or paint. I'm on the fence to buy it now cheaply or wait till October ish to see what else comes on the market. but then I could run the risk of paying more...

but I also need the storage now...

Trailers seem to generally be an easy sell, if priced reasonable, so buy it and sell if something else comes around. 

On Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 4:50 PM, Stoney said:

I have been towing good size travel trailers past couple years. My 2015 f150 was hands down the least stable to date.

But this tank doesn't even know the trailer is there 

2016-08-08 20.21.33.jpg

Edited by atc

There are so many variables. We can tow the 5000 + lb boat easier than the enclosed ramp sled trailer. Primarily due to wind drag. Typically it's an easier drive down the 400 than up. Wind and going 400 North has more uphill than south. The horse trailer although heavier than the boat or sleds tows the best. Great aero dynamic, short tandem axle.

Boats are certainly more aerodynamic than sled trailers, but I'm also towing 7000 lbs. 

I have never seen a van-style trailer cheaper than a 2 place clamshell..... but have seen lots of 7' wide van trailers with only 2 sleds in them, in diagonally, reversed, upside down...... :)

Edited by Puzzleboy

4 hours ago, atc said:

I have been towing good size travel trailers past couple years. My 2015 f150 was hands down the least stable to date.

But this tank doesn't even know the trailer is there 

2016-08-08 20.21.33.jpg

Looking good!

Well, whenever I see guys fucking around with these little trailers, some are in backwards, some are in forwards.......  Like I said, I just can't understand why a snowmobiler would not get a max width trailer, when sleds are 48" wide. 

Would you buy a travel trailer that was only 7' wide, because it was "easier" to tow? 

Edited by Puzzleboy

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 hours ago, Algonquin Rider said:

No one buys a 121" anymore.

True and the pic shows the ski tips under the runningboards. It doesn't always work that way.

I have a friend with a 12'+V nose and he can get 2 sleds in it but its tight.

On 8/30/2016 at 11:56 PM, Puzzleboy said:

Boats are certainly more aerodynamic than sled trailers, but I'm also towing 7000 lbs. 

I have never seen a van-style trailer cheaper than a 2 place clamshell..... but have seen lots of 7' wide van trailers with only 2 sleds in them, in diagonally, reversed, upside down...... :)

I know when I went from towing an open type car hauler to an enclosed trailer, there was a big difference in the effort it took to tow almost the same weight. 

I pulled my 18' Triton 7.5' wide with 5' v nose fully loaded with my F150.  I also pulled it with a GM 1500 previously.

No issues at all. 

I used to load a Polaris Hawkeye 300, 2 of the Polaris 330 Trailblazers and a Polaris 550 X2 all in it at once.  Yes all 4 fit in the trailer.  3 sideways and the X2 backed in.  

Add 4 or 5 gas cans, a Yamaha 5300 generator, helmets, tools and gear.  Plus whatever else everyone threw in from clothes, coolers etc.

We were loaded.

No issues in all weather.  I drove in snow storms, on ice and on gravel roads. 

Biggest issue for stability on tow vehicles is tires and air pressure.   Buy a good quality tire.  Air up and go.

• 2 weeks later...

so I bought an 18' plus a 5'"V" x 7 foot wide. easily holds 3 can hold 4 in a pinch.  I must say this thing tows like shit.  it was empty and I drove home and at 120kph this thing wiggles around and I'm constantly making steering corrections. my 5000 lbs boat  tows better at 120 kph than this sled trailer. the sled trailer feels like my old 6000 lbs boat trailer at 110 kph. my 2 place clam shell with 2 heavy sled in it tows better at 140 kph than the new sled trailer empty at 120. the new trailer is aluminum and weights empty 2200 lbs. I have a 2 inch drop ball on it. I will try a 4 inch drop hitch ball to lower the front and see if that reduces the sway. at speed my rpms are where it is when I pull my 8.5' wide trailer, I don't see where it is easier to tow?

Sounds like you may be on the right track. Check the ball height relative to the tongue height with the trailer level. I had a friend with a trailer and similar problems a number of years ago and his was actually a factory defect. Tandem axle and he found that the left front axle was actually a couple of inches further ahead of the rear left axle than the right front was from the right rear. They eventually replaced the trailer.