Sled and ATV trailers

Taillight

5 hours ago, Taillight said:

so I bought an 18' plus a 5'"V" x 7 foot wide. easily holds 3 can hold 4 in a pinch.  I must say this thing tows like shit.  it was empty and I drove home and at 120kph this thing wiggles around and I'm constantly making steering corrections. my 5000 lbs boat  tows better at 120 kph than this sled trailer. the sled trailer feels like my old 6000 lbs boat trailer at 110 kph. my 2 place clam shell with 2 heavy sled in it tows better at 140 kph than the new sled trailer empty at 120. the new trailer is aluminum and weights empty 2200 lbs. I have a 2 inch drop ball on it. I will try a 4 inch drop hitch ball to lower the front and see if that reduces the sway. at speed my rpms are where it is when I pull my 8.5' wide trailer, I don't see where it is easier to tow?

What brand trailer and is it brand new?

Torsion axles or springs?

My Triton trailer of same dimension towed like a dream behind a f150, a gmc 1500 and didnt even notice it behind the f250 i had.

tongue height makes all the difference.

6 minutes ago, Taillight said:

it is a used R &R. it has torsion axles. I prefer leaf springs in towing trailers. I will try the lower tongue height and see what happens

Just curious if you checked the coupler size  to make sure it's a 2" and not a 2-5/16

its 2'" and I have a 2 inch ball.

the issue with the trailer is side to side sway. I can feel it in the truck, i'm constantly making steering corrections. when I look in my mirrors I see the end of the trailer wandering around side to side. it was breezy out, and the trailer has big slab sides, but it should not affect it like that. I'm getting trailer wheel alignment checked.

What angle was your trailer sitting at on your truck?  Going from 2" drop to 4" sounds like a very high tow vehicle   

I kept my Triton as close to level as possible.  I think i used straight hitch on F150 and sometimes a 2" drop.

Also if you were pulling it empty in wind there will be a big difference when pulling full in the wind and there is weight on tires and axles.  It will be less likely to be pushed around.

• Like 1

Adding some weight should help, but really should not matter when towing a trailer.

Level or nose slightly down is preferred for sure.

Also, you drive a Ford.....that might be the issue, might be time for a real truck :)

Congrats on the trailer too!

If he is driving a Ford... wise man.... sure beats the others. Since it is a used trailer it could be the tires on the trailer. I have heard of old tires with weak sidewalls causing sway in windy conditions. Don't know if it is true or not but some have claimed it to be.

On 9/18/2016 at 8:55 AM, 02sled said:

If he is driving a Ford... wise man.... sure beats the others. Since it is a used trailer it could be the tires on the trailer. I have heard of old tires with weak sidewalls causing sway in windy conditions. Don't know if it is true or not but some have claimed it to be.

WTF

Just putting it out there. Put my trailer up for sale as I have no need for it anymore. Swore I would never sell it but its a waste just sitting there.

Could do a bit better on the price for FS'ers. Price will go up when the snow flies for the rest of the Kijiji Dicks.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowmobile-parts-trailer-accessories/muskoka/1999-custom-all-aluminum-enclosed-atv-sled-trailer/1193880694?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I can't help but wonder if anyone has ever considered building a sled trailer using a principal similar to that used on the trailers that deliver new cars to dealerships. First two sleds go in side by side and the front ends are raised to perhaps a 45 degree angle allowing the rear of the sled to be farther forward. The next two have the skis run up ramps that put their front ends over the back ends of the front sleds. Might work might not but if it did it would allow 4 sleds in a much shorter trailer.

37 minutes ago, 02sled said:

I can't help but wonder if anyone has ever considered building a sled trailer using a principal similar to that used on the trailers that deliver new cars to dealerships. First two sleds go in side by side and the front ends are raised to perhaps a 45 degree angle allowing the rear of the sled to be farther forward. The next two have the skis run up ramps that put their front ends over the back ends of the front sleds. Might work might not but if it did it would allow 4 sleds in a much shorter trailer.

One of my neighbors is a welder who builts some custom trailers, he has some cool ones.

We had a contractor come in and do some work a few weeks ago. He had a used ambulance. It still had all the shelves in place so he had his tools there. It still had a bench for sitting or laying down. Had a TV, microwave and a generator.

So I'm looking at this thing thinking a sled would probably fit in there as well. So we start talking and it turns out he is a sledder. Puts his sled in the back and if he's had too much to drink at the end of the day he lays down and sleeps.

I don't think my wife or neighbours would like an ambulance sitting in the driveway but I think it would make a good tow vehicle.  

what we need trailer manufacturers to build is a simplified toy hauler type trailer with windows and side door that is not yearly safety sticker required but has actual room inside for 3 or 4 sleds or atvs.  Something more hauler then camper but looks camper

4 hours ago, Sksman said:

what we need trailer manufacturers to build is a simplified toy hauler type trailer with windows and side door that is not yearly safety sticker required but has actual room inside for 3 or 4 sleds or atvs.  Something more hauler then camper but looks camper

Do toy haulers require the annual safety seeing as it is a camper too?

Edited by Stoney

I personally think it's nothing but a bunch of bs that you have to get the anal sticker. My front plate has the red sticker that says used primarily for personal use. When the time comes that I become a contractor/ freight hauler I'll get the fkn stickers but until then my trailer is an rv. Recreational Vehicle hauler

I've had dealings with these MTO dipshits and they can't get on the same page. Last issue recently was told to park at the scales. Officer comes out, hand over paperwork and comes back and says plates were terminated about month n a half ago. $140 ticket to the company and good to go. You would think the plates would be pulled and I'd be waiting for a big tow or another set of plates to come to the scales not drive off