Bussman, Vince, and ZamBRO Find out About Cat Recall

Thus the nick name...Arctic crap......

Still had to rebuild more AC 800s in my shop this season than doo 800s...Poo 800s still in the lead for rebuilds or full engine replacement. And as I have mentioned before, I specialize in Ski doo sled repairs...mostly from crashes.  

My honest experience...:dunno:

7 hours ago, Mikeadoo said:

Still had to rebuild more AC 800s in my shop this season than doo 800s...Poo 800s still in the lead for rebuilds or full engine replacement. And as I have mentioned before, I specialize in Ski doo sled repairs...mostly from crashes.  

I've always believed Internet people and what they post so I won't stop now!!!

10 hours ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Ok.  Now this is funny. :lmao:

8 hours ago, Mikeadoo said:

Anybody who knows even the smallest thing about sleds knows what brand has the most Motor problems, clutch issues or crank issues.  Pick the brand and the corresponding issue that best suits you.  “Denial” is not a brand.

Just now, Kev144 said:

With doo and poo having a 850 now after cat just dropped their new 150hp 800 I wonder if they will just close up shop?  

Buss says cat is going to come out with a 900. Why not just go 950? :lol: 

• Platinum Contributing Member

Reality is it must not be that serious of issue.   If it was it would be a DO NOT DRIVE UNTIL REPAIRED order.  

6 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Buss says cat is going to come out with a 900. Why not just go 950? :lol: 

They are at least a few years from release of a 850 competitive motor.  The 800 is built off the 600 so they can't do anymore to it.  Unless they release a 850 or something rushed.  We know how that will go 

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Reality is it must not be that serious of issue.   If it was it would be a DO NOT DRIVE UNTIL REPAIRED order.  

A life safety issue would definitely require a mandatory recall and discontinue use. I wonder how the various DNR's and forestry depts feels about those flame throwers. :news:

1 minute ago, Kev144 said:

They are at least a few years from release of a 850 competitive motor.  The 800 is built off the 600 so they can't do anymore to it.  Unless they release a 850 or something rushed.  We know how that will go 

I heard it took them 6 years to release this one. :dunno: Why do they have such a hard time developing an 800 when they already have a 600 with the technology? Skidoo never did come out with a 800 sdi. :dunno:

4 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

A life safety issue would definitely require a mandatory recall and discontinue use. I wonder how the various DNR's and forestry depts feels about those flame throwers. :news:

Don't see many forest fires in the dead of winter with snow on the ground. 

11 minutes ago, Highmark said:

From what I understand, it's not widespread and the only way it can be duplicated is by long runs where the sled comes to a stop quickly.  :dunno:  Hard to believe Cat can't find a map for this issues but trying to protect for cooling may be an issue.  I spent a good amount of time with Team Cat when we were remapping my sled and it's amazing what you can program for but, it's  a science, watching the graph curves as we adjusted for rpms was pretty cool.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

From what I've read, it's not widespread and the only way it can be duplicated is by long runs where the sled comes to a stop quickly.  :dunno:  Hard to believe Cat can't find a map for this issues but trying to protect for cooling may be an issue.  I spent a good amount of time with Team Cat when we were remapping my sled and it's amazing what you can program for but, it's  a science, watching the graph curves as we adjusted for rpms was pretty cool.

It might not have all to do with the programming.   Could be in the tuned pipe and the back-pressure left when coming off the throttle caused by the pipe design and heat.  

I'd be curious to see if guys with cans have the issue.  

We had an issue with backfiring after the ignition was turned off on one of our units.   Kohler designed a delayed shut off that ran the engine for a couple seconds after the ignition was shut off.   Cured it but damn it was annoying.   Same basic thing was happening.   When a user would go from full throttle down to idle and quickly shut the unit off or shut off from full idle the un-burned charge left int he exhaust would fire on its own.  Always surprised me that this would happen on a 4 stroke. 

Edited by Highmark

7 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

From what I understand, it's not widespread and the only way it can be duplicated is by long runs where the sled comes to a stop quickly.  :dunno:  Hard to believe Cat can't find a map for this issues but trying to protect for cooling may be an issue.  I spent a good amount of time with Team Cat when we were remapping my sled and it's amazing what you can program for but, it's  a science, watching the graph curves as we adjusted for rpms was pretty cool.

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

It might not have all to do with the programming.   Could be in the tuned pipe and the back-pressure left when coming off the throttle caused by the pipe design and heat.  

After calming down from laughing hysterically for 20 hours or so I have been thinking about this quite a bit. I think it has to be a combination of mapping and muffler design. There is a spot in the map that is dumping fuel with the right combination of exhaust velocity , back pressure and a design flaw in the muffler that is allowing it to retain raw fuel in the muffler.

I suspect it is a portion of the map where cat is compensating for the valves just about to be opened. They have always struggles with that portion of the map being very fat.  The "tip-in" spot in the map where the valves are about to open is tough for servo operated valves.....even if they are staged. Polaris did a great job in this area of their mapping 

This is my theory only 

Edited by f7ben

8 minutes ago, Highmark said:

We had an issue with backfiring after the ignition was turned off on one of our units.   Kohler designed a delayed shut off that ran the engine for a couple seconds after the ignition was shut off.   Cured it but damn it was annoying.   Same basic thing was happening.   When a user would go from full throttle down to idle and quickly shut the unit off or shut off from full idle the un-burned charge left int he exhaust would fire on its own.  Always surprised me that this would happen on a 4 stroke. 

Apparently, adding aftermarket cans have had mixed results.  I can do a "hot start" on mine that dumps fuel into the pipe and it will flame it up too.  But I have a stock race can which is about half as big as the consumer can.  Somehow during a cycle that pipe is getting loaded with fuel.  

11 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Don't see many forest fires in the dead of winter with snow on the ground. 

Dont see too many sleds shooting flames either..  :news: 

Not sure if this is happening on un-boosted sleds but lots of Sidewinders are having issues with belts when in a hard pull then getting off and quickly back on and snap.   Clutches are not working in tune with one another.  Basically we are adding tons of weight to the primary and it shifts out very quick.   When you get off the throttle the secondary wants to backshift quicker than the primary and you get slack on the top side of the belt.   When you get back into the throttle goes from slack to drive tension and snap.  Happens even more often in heavy load situations like in deep snow.   Not sure how the mountain guys are handling it.