Got Diesel instead of Gas!

Renegade X

Filled my truck up last week before I went away and started running funny.  Got back and went to go to work yesterday and it wouldn't start.  Towed it to the dealership and they just informed me that its full of diesel.  Ultramar Northbound 115. At least they are going to pay for it!

4 minutes ago, Renegade X said:

Filled my truck up last week before I went away and started running funny.  Got back and went to go to work yesterday and it wouldn't start.  Towed it to the dealership and they just informed me that its full of diesel.  Ultramar Northbound 115. At least they are going to pay for it!

Scary to think about. Reality is it comes down to the guy delivering the fuel to the station and hopefully pulling up the right plate to fill the right tank. I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often than we hear about.

How big a job is it to get it fixed?

6 minutes ago, Renegade X said:

Sounds like a fairly big job. Drop tank and clear all lines. Spark plugs are toast too 

anything for the injectors, sorry to hear it happened... just glad it wasn't me

Make sure the fuel filter and oil are replaced.

I think the diesel tanks used to always be sort of by them self, but not anymore.

And you cannot use a diesel nozzle in a gas vehicle as they have a bigger O.D that will not fit.

4 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Make sure the fuel filter and oil are replaced.

I think the diesel tanks used to always be sort of by them self, but not anymore.

And you cannot use a diesel nozzle in a gas vehicle as they have a bigger O.D that will not fit.

I told them to change the oil but they said it has no effect on it.  They are making sure everything is perfect as it is going through the gas stations insurance and its a fairly new truck.

The diesel came right out if the regular fuel pump. Good thing I have fleet fuel cards so everything is tracked and provable.

12 minutes ago, Renegade X said:

I told them to change the oil but they said it has no effect on it.  They are making sure everything is perfect as it is going through the gas stations insurance and its a fairly new truck.

The diesel came right out if the regular fuel pump. Good thing I have fleet fuel cards so everything is tracked and provable.

for sure it was the delivery guy filling the wrong bulk tank then....

How far did you drive it, station to home?

Make sure they have a good look at the cat. converters. Good chance they will be fubar. Does not take long and they will be melted inside.

Do not sign off on anything until you get at least a few tanks of fuel back through it with no cel's or problems.

44 minutes ago, lastzrt said:

How far did you drive it, station to home?

Make sure they have a good look at the cat. converters. Good chance they will be fubar. Does not take long and they will be melted inside.

Do not sign off on anything until you get at least a few tanks of fuel back through it with no cel's or problems.

About 20 km' ish.  Turns out it's not diesel but over 80% alcohol content.  Ultramar is coming good for all expense's.  They have other cases from the same station as well.

How the fuck did they confuse diesel with ethanol gasoline? 

And never mind that station.... there must be plenty of stations having that issue if the refinery shipped it that way. 

4 hours ago, Renegade X said:

No effect....you have a liquid being injected into a cylinder that is not being burned, some will make it out the exhaust valve but some will wash the cylinders and end in the pan below.

For what it is worth, oil change is small in the grand scheme of things.

I am not suggesting you used the wrong nozzle, as I mentioned, a diesel nozzle will not fit into a gasoline engine filler neck.

Regardless, good to hear you seem to be taken care of.

What about the 80% alchohol nozzle? :)

Just now, Stoney said:

No effect....you have a liquid being injected into a cylinder that is not being burned, some will make it out the exhaust valve but some will wash the cylinders and end in the pan below.

For what it is worth, oil change is small in the grand scheme of things.

I am not suggesting you used the wrong nozzle, as I mentioned, a diesel nozzle will not fit into a gasoline engine filler neck.

Regardless, good to hear you seem to be taken care of.

31 minutes ago, Garrettv said:

Isn’t e 85 mostly alcohol like 85% or something?  

I would be surprised if it has that high a content, alcohol is not all the great on engines compared to gas.

I am wondering though why a tanker truck is driving around with that in their tanks, wonder where it would be utilized around here.

5 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I would be surprised if it has that high a content, alcohol is not all the great on engines compared to gas.

I am wondering though why a tanker truck is driving around with that in their tanks, wonder where it would be utilized around here.

Just googled it and that is exactly what it is 85 % denatured ethanol fuel 15% hydro carbon fuel I knew a guy who did lots of day o testing and their secret fuel was e85 lots of air needed to burn and lots of heat generated but pretty good hp gains so I hear ! 

On 3/6/2018 at 1:20 PM, Renegade X said:

Could be a lot of cars filling up before it was discovered, going to cost lot of money 

I've always thought the connections on the tanks were all different just for this reason