Electric Snowmobile coming for winter 2019

Blackstar

• Platinum Contributing Member
12 hours ago, StevieWonder said:

I watched today about electric cars and how they are the future , how in the last ten years the massive improvements , market share , acceptance , fast charge speeds , and will only get better , faster and cheaper in price as the tech .

Same with sleds , ya someone will say Gheeeeyyyyyy , until that electric sleds absolutely destroys they’re top speed . Over and over . 

I watched that too. It was a good show.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Well you already got an electric cart, car will only complete the package.:lol:

They will become more and more marketable as time passes, but that might be pasted our time.

The golf cart does what it needs to do as an electric. But they say it needs new batteries every 5 years or so at $100/each x6.

The tech is coming. I can't see this sled finding much of a market just yet. Ski hills maybe?

Edited by Blackstar

22 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The golf does what it needs to do as an electric. But they say it needs new batteries every 5 years or so at $100/each x6.

The tech is coming. I can't see this sled finding much of a market just yet. Ski hills maybe?

Only problem is nobody will be able to afford the hydro to recharge all this electric stuff since the government is responsible for managing mismanaging hydro costs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 02sled said:

Only problem is nobody will be able to afford the hydro to recharge all this electric stuff since the government is responsible for managing mismanaging hydro costs.

The hydro usage would be insignificant compared to gas. 

It says it can charge on 120v circuit. With most electrical outlets being 15 amps, even if it uses all 15 amps, it would cost around $5.00 per charge at current rates.

For easy numbers, we'll say the average sled goes 120 miles to a tank.

To fill a 40L tank costs $50 at $1.25/liter.

So, $10 on the electric or $50 in gas.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

It says it can charge on 120v circuit. With most electrical outlets being 15 amps, even if it uses all 15 amps, it would cost around $5.00 per charge at current rates.

Eventually charging away from home is gonna cost a fair bit more as right now the electric is freeloading off the current infrastructure and contributing nothing.  But even at par with gas it really isn't that much esp for sleds.  You get a good range and a quick charge and many more will be buying, as of now we would be giving up a lot of convenience.

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The golf cart does what it needs to do as an electric. But they say it needs new batteries every 5 years or so at $100/each x6.

Just teasing.:bc:

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

This isn't mainstream availability. What will hydro cost down the road. It would appear you have more faith in the Ontario government than I do when it comes to electricity pricing.

7 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

how are the cool kids going to be able to make lots of braaap braaaaap noise on this machine.

It would have an optional audio track and speaker system to play whatever braap you want.

36 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

how are the cool kids going to be able to make lots of braaap braaaaap noise on this machine.

There aren't enough tree hugging homo's riding sleds to get the ball rolling.

33 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

The sleds already comes with Bluetooth so.....put on your helmet with built in Bluetooth speakers, select from a menu of available engine/exhaust types  and BRAAAAPP all you want, as loud as you want.

The auto manufacturers are already doing similar things. My son's Focus has the Sound Symposer system. When you are hard on the throttle, the engine vacuum opens a port to the interior allowing engine noises into the cabin.

Is it me or does it seem nearly undriveable at 0.20s on. Looks like crispy hard conditions but that thing is all over the place.

No doubt there'll be a market and much like the 50% closure of gas stations and restaurants in Ontario it'll be a cluster fuck trying to find a charge station for touring. Should be a market for it for the enviro cottager for sure... if it stays upright.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tinker said:

Is it me or does it seem nearly undriveable at 0.20s on. Looks like crispy hard conditions but that thing is all over the place.

No doubt there'll be a market and much like the 50% closure of gas stations and restaurants in Ontario it'll be a cluster fuck trying to find a charge station for touring. Should be a market for it for the enviro cottager for sure... if it stays upright.

I don’t think it appears to be any different then half the sleds guys in here ride.  There is forever threads posted about the best sled and haw great it is with different skis and shocks.  This doesn’t appear to be any different in my mind.

Also could camera man/rider be part of rough appearing issue.  

As for riding it wont matter much because With winters like we are having 100km might be all you get  

12 minutes ago, Tinker said:

The closure of the gas stations is primarily thanks to the TSSA regulations that keep getting tougher and tougher and in some cases just plain stupid make money situations. People can't afford to comply and stay profitable in the small towns.

Years ago the province changed the way TSSA operates. The more "problems" they find the more money they get paid. The inspectors that can actually sign an inspection report rarely leave the office. The people in the field are agents who report back to the inspectors on what they saw and found. I have had more than my share of incompetent agents.

We had installed a diesel generator and fuel tank. It was inspected and signed off by an inspector that actually came on site at the time. A few years later we added a fuel polishing system. An agent said the install was fine BUT there were lots of problems with the original installation of the generator and tank. I told him we had the signed report by the inspector. He didn't want to see it. 60 days to fix everything or he would shut it down. I asked, so you're telling me the person that signed the original report was incompetent. He said yes.

I called and asked to speak to his manager in an effort to escalate to someone higher up. I got his manager who is an inspector. I told him the situation. He asked whose name was on the original report. It was his. This less than a year on the job agent had claimed his manager was incompetent. The manager said leave it with me. We never heard back about the extensive list we needed to fix.

As for the electrical charging the TSSA doesn't really cover that... it's the ESA. The challenge I see for electrical cars, sleds or whatever is the amount of real estate that will be needed. Ever line up waiting for a gas pump to be available. I know I often have to wait. At times there are a couple of vehicles ahead of me. It only takes a couple of minutes to pump the gas.

What's going to happen when it's an electrical recharge. Currently charging time for an electric car is measured in hours. The % of charge determines the range however to maximize battery life they should be fully recharged each time rather than bringing the charge back part way such as saying a 50% charge will get me to my destination. Imagine the number of cars you will find at a roadside recharge station when the charge time is in hours rather than the minutes to top up the tank and the lineups you will see for the charging stations. Double or perhaps triple the size of the property needed for the recharge site compared to the gas station.

9 minutes ago, Sksman said:

I don’t think it appears to be any different then half the sleds guys in here ride.  There is forever threads posted about the best sled and haw great it is with different skis and shocks.  This doesn’t appear to be any different in my mind.

Also could camera man/rider be part of rough appearing issue.  

As for riding it wont matter much because With winters like we are having 100km might be all you get  

Ha ! I'd have only charged it 12 times this season LoL

Why would a Focus need engine noises in the cabin? 

18 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The sleds already comes with Bluetooth so.....put on your helmet with built in Bluetooth speakers, select from a menu of available engine/exhaust types  and BRAAAAPP all you want, as loud as you want.

The auto manufacturers are already doing similar things. My son's Focus has the Sound Symposer system. When you are hard on the throttle, the engine vacuum opens a port to the interior allowing engine noises into the cabin.

4 hours ago, Tinker said:

Ha ! I'd have only charged it 12 times this season LoL

Charging it twice would have worked for me.

1 hour ago, Puzzleboy said:

Why would a Focus need engine noises in the cabin? 

2013 Focus ST, 252 hp, 6 speed trans, 0-60 of 5.9 sec, 1/4 mile in 14.6 at 95 mph.

We deleted the symposer and added a Ford performance Cat back exhaust for real noise.

Its a fun little car.

I'm sure it is fun, but who needs to hear a little 4 banger?  :)  (No offence.)  That would be like putting through-hull exhaust on a Merc 3.0.   

I'd rather hear the stereo!

36 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Charging it twice would have worked for me.

2013 Focus ST, 252 hp, 6 speed trans, 0-60 of 5.9 sec, 1/4 mile in 14.6 at 95 mph.

We deleted the symposer and added a Ford performance Cat back exhaust for real noise.

Its a fun little car.

1 minute ago, Puzzleboy said:

I'm sure it is fun, but who needs to hear a little 4 banger?  :)  (No offence.)  That would be like putting through-hull exhaust on a Merc 3.0.   

I'd rather hear the stereo!

Come on. Are you really that old?

Who doesn't want to hear a turbo spool. The red line is 6500rpm.

Most common mods to these cars are cat back exhaust, air intake and blow off valves.

All of them make noise, non of them add any noticeable performance......lol

Did you add quieter mufflers to your average corvette?

No, but I certainly wouldn't add louder exhaust to them to make them sound faster..... :)

I know kids like this new fart can stuff, but there's still no replacement...... for displacement.  And they still sound like Van Wilder's golf cart. 

I am getting old..... lol

Just now, Blackstar said:

Most common mods to these cars are cat back exhaust, air intake and blow off valves.

41 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

No, but I certainly wouldn't add louder exhaust to them to make them sound faster..... :)

I know kids like this new fart can stuff, but there's still no replacement...... for displacement.  And they still sound like Van Wilder's golf cart. 

I am getting old..... lol

Tuner/flowmaster/ and cold air intake made a significant enough difference on my chev.

On 06/03/2018 at 3:12 PM, Blackstar said:

So those don't add HP?  I've been had.

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

So those don't add HP?  I've been had.

On the Focus ST? No.

With the turbo motor, you have to add a tuner to increase the boost, then you get your hp gains.

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

On the Focus ST? No.

With the turbo motor, you have to add a tuner to increase the boost, then you get your hp gains.

We added a catback and cold air intake to the SRT Challenger.  Only needs 15 more HP to get over 500 lol.  Yah a turbo and a tune would bring it a tad more.