Electric Snowmobile coming for winter 2019

Blackstar

Basically 100km. Lots of people do quite a bit more but there are also a lot where that is a typical ride from home or the cottage for the day. Once the range increases to say 150km it will become a lot more appealing to many. It likely won't take long for the range to increase at the rate the technology is growing.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

https://taigamotors.ca/

60 mile range, 2 hour recharge time. $15,000

Will it actually make it to the market?

i doubt it would sell well in Canada - 4 strokes already don't start on some cold mornings .

a local rider may use one, but 60mi isnt too far to end the day 

16 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

i doubt it would sell well in Canada - 4 strokes already don't start on some cold mornings .

a local rider may use one, but 60mi isnt too far to end the day 

Well overstated, likely 30miles.  You can always flip the heater switch to warm it up before starting and then be left with a 20mile range.

Nope.

18 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Well overstated, likely 30miles.  You can always flip the heater switch to warm it up before starting and then be left with a 20mile range.

Nope.

from the comments on FB

Yup instead of ....Braaappppp as it goes by you hear....immmmmm gaaaayyyyyyy

Finally someone who is challenging Yamaha for the heaviest sled crown!!

32 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

from the comments on FB

Yup instead of ....Braaappppp as it goes by you hear....immmmmm gaaaayyyyyyy

Finally someone who is challenging Yamaha for the heaviest sled crown!!

Sounds like a wound up electric drill passing by.:lol:

How about a simulated Catback sound at least or is that gonna drain the battery too fast.

• Platinum Contributing Member

I think the tech is cool and the fact that the R&D money has been spent to get to a point of production shows where the market for sleds is likely headed.

But, I can't see them pre-selling enough of these to go to full production.

As 02 said, I think they need to hit the 100 mile mark reliably and shorten the charge time to under an hour. At that point it may become an option for some.

15 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think the tech is cool and the fact that the R&D money has been spent to get to a point of production shows where the market for sleds is likely headed.

As 02 said, I think they need to hit the 100 mile mark reliably and shorten the charge time to under an hour. At that point it may become an option for some.

There is no doubt the electric car will be a force in the near future, but its just not a clean as many believe it to be.  It will get better with time and so will the infrastructure.

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

There is no doubt the electric car will be a force in the near future, but its just not a clean as many believe it to be.  It will get better with time and so will the infrastructure.

the mass of old batteries will become an issue once a good percent of cars use battery power.

There is already issues with household batteries 

I just converted a battery operated video game tho AC -  GOLDEN TEE if anyone is interested 

25 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

the mass of old batteries will become an issue once a good percent of cars use battery power.

There is already issues with household batteries 

I just converted a battery operated video game tho AC -  GOLDEN TEE if anyone is interested 

Golf?:lol:

0 to a 100 km/h in 3 seconds is impressive! It's the way fo the future and we will have no choice but to get use to it as these might be the only things available in the future? The future might not be in our lifetime, but maybe our kids?

I was behind a Volt not long ago sitting at a light. When the light turned green, I could not believe how fast the thing accelerated! It was super quiet but sneaky fast. I was not trying to race him as I was behind him so I assume he/she just wanted to play. 

57 minutes ago, irv said:

0 to a 100 km/h in 3 seconds is impressive! It's the way fo the future and we will have no choice but to get use to it as these might be the only things available in the future? The future might not be in our lifetime, but maybe our kids?

I was behind a Volt not long ago sitting at a light. When the light turned green, I could not believe how fast the thing accelerated! It was super quiet but sneaky fast. I was not trying to race him as I was behind him so I assume he/she just wanted to play. 

Got beat by something that sounded like a vacuum cleaner.:lol:

I know they are fast but only small dick dorks own them.:lol:

I watched today about electric cars and how they are the future , how in the last ten years the massive improvements , market share , acceptance , fast charge speeds , and will only get better , faster and cheaper in price as the tech .

Same with sleds , ya someone will say Gheeeeyyyyyy , until that electric sleds absolutely destroys they’re top speed . Over and over . 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Golf?:lol:

love the game and video game, its in the bars and restaurants.  I will play it everytime 

bought this on ebay for $32, quality of the track ball is  surprisingly good.  Fun game if your just sitting around listening to tunes.

Golf is a great game to play for real

That's what we used to say about automatics in sports cars.  Now, the automatics are so good (better than most drivers), every exotic specs them, usually with quicker acceleration times.....

But, the 100 km range is a bit ghey. 

2 hours ago, StevieWonder said:

I watched today about electric cars and how they are the future , how in the last ten years the massive improvements , market share , acceptance , fast charge speeds , and will only get better , faster and cheaper in price as the tech .

Same with sleds , ya someone will say Gheeeeyyyyyy , until that electric sleds absolutely destroys they’re top speed . Over and over . 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

love the game and video game, its in the bars and restaurants.  I will play it everytime 

bought this on ebay for $32, quality of the track ball is  surprisingly good.  Fun game if your just sitting around at work.

Golf is a great game to play for real

I would play golf, IF I could use a variable input shot-gun, for the up and down distance, and a putter once you got the ball on the green.

Have you checked out the shape most amateur golfers are in. Most  cann,t even carry their own balls.

9 hours ago, 007Rob said:

Company from Ottawa makes a controller for $3500 that will let you swap the electric motor from a wrecked Tesla into whatever you can fit it(and enough batteries) into

http://www.ev-controls.com/

Neat, but it controls the inverter, ie the drive, the drive controls the motor.

20 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

I would play golf, IF I could use a variable input shot-gun, for the up and down distance, and a putter once you got the ball on the green.

Have you checked out the shape most amateur golfers are in. Most  cann,t even carry their own balls.

Not really a sport, but a hobby.  So they are like many sledders.

19 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Well you already got an electric cart, car will only complete the package.:lol:

They will become more and more marketable as time passes, but that might be pasted our time.

12 hours ago, StevieWonder said:

The world is changing.... and changing rapidly. If you look back at history for an example. Think of New York City and the years 1910 to 1920. The first Model T Ford was built in 1908. The streets of New York were nothing but horse and carriage wherever you looked in the first 10 year of the century. The second 10 saw the almost complete shift from horse and carriage to the automobile in a 10 year window. Ford built 15 million of them between 1909 and 1927. Around 790,000 a year average.