2019 Polaris reveal

Puzzleboy

Rode an R-Motion and an XCR last year back to back.  The XCR is not in the same league.  Maybe the new regular skid will be better.  Sled handled fine, but rode like an old Citroen.   But you're right in that Polaris dealers are telling their customers that Pro-Rides are better. 

Putting a sport logo on a Hyundai, does not make it a Ferrari. 

On 4/3/2018 at 12:14 AM, Blackstar said:

Best line is there is "The Ski-doo is like a BMW while the Polaris is more like a Chev". They were referring to quality, fit and finish.

I was surprised to hear them say that the Ski-doo had the better rear suspension. I know the Rmotion is good but I thought the Poo's monkey bars were better.

Edited by Puzzleboy

How could they give ANY hand gestures, when they're too busy squeezing the loud handle, fun flipper, go handle, smile generator, all the way across Kevlar Lake. 

23 hours ago, bladefever said:

I was being mesmerized by all those hand gestures....... Sure glad it was only 2 Lesters. Maybe next time leave out the faces and just focus on the hands. 

• Like 1

Didn't watch it either, but do you think Poncho would post anything that wasn't favourable to his beloved Poo?   The mere mention of another brand having better technology, sends him into fits for months.  Lol

The "Chevy" quality comparison will still be a burr under his saddle for some time.  But they're right on the money with that statement.  Polaris is dumping sleds and undercutting BRP pricing.  But to do that, something's gotta give.  So it's quality and fit 'n finish.  And copying innovation and tech is cheaper than developing it.  I'm gonna ask Justin to slap a tarriff on import sleds here, just like the Donald does.  Protect Canadian industry, and level the playing field.  :)

But, you get what you pay for.  Hopefully the new Poo 850 is better than previous models. 

On 4/2/2018 at 9:31 PM, ArcticCrusher said:

I can't watch all that.  Who won?  If its Poo, I'm sure someone who will not be mentioned will disagree.:lol:

Edited by Puzzleboy

9 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Didn't watch it either, but do you think Poncho would post anything that wasn't favourable to his beloved Poo?   The mere mention of another brand having better technology, sends him into fits for months.  Lol

The "Chevy" quality comparison will still be a burr under his saddle for some time.  But they're right on the money with that statement.  Polaris is dumping sleds and undercutting BRP pricing.  But to do that, something's gotta give.  So it's quality and fit 'n finish.  And copying innovation and tech is cheaper than developing it.  I'm gonna ask Justin to slap a tarriff on import sleds here, just like the Donald does.  Protect Canadian industry, and level the playing field.  :)

But, you get what you pay for.  Hopefully the new Poo 850 is better than previous models. 

Or perhaps they are selling with a lower profit margin hence lower prices.

11 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Rode an R-Motion and an XCR last year back to back.  The XCR is not in the same league.  Maybe the new regular skid will be better.  Sled handled fine, but rode like an old Citroen.   But you're right in that Polaris dealers are telling their customers that Pro-Rides are better. 

Putting a sport logo on a Hyundai, does not make it a Ferrari. 

I happened to be along on that ride....I remember when the owner of the XCR had to pry it out of your hands to get it back as you wouldn’t even get off of it...actually having to put his hands on the handlebars to stop you from starting it up and driving away again as you did after we stopped the first time.....and that night your comments did not reflect what you’ve since said and posted... but whatever...I know what to expect from you.

I too, drove the r motion and XCR and Pro S that day. Pro S rear and r motion are very similar in my opinion, XCR is stiffer, but was designed and sold as such. The archaic, heavy, darty Doo front end was no match for the Polaris.

The fit and finish of the Doo is better, but Polaris has made large leaps in that area.

The biggest difference was the fun factor, the AXYS  chassis is fun to ride where as the Doo felt like a tank.

Ive owned Polaris’s since 89 (I’m the Poo diehard in my group, not Poncho, who has actually owned more Doos and Cats then Poo) and Polaris 800s since the triple in 99, with a brief break for a 700 in 2007. I put over 5000 miles on each 800 (and 700) I had. I never had any issues, except on my 2002 800 after putting a Legend kit on it...that was my own mistake. The others were left stock with small clutching changes and never let me down.

During that period I rode with lots of other types in our group and the only catastrophic engine failures happened on 670, 800 and 1200 Doos and 700 Cats. There were other issues with the Polaris’s I rode with including broken clutch springs and drive shaft bearing failures, failed stator, but the Doos also suffered from a clutch nut failure and bearing failures. The only blown belt I’ve seen since around 2000 happened on a Doo. I’m sure other guys have stories of Polaris’s having failures that they rode with...I can only report what I’ve experienced. 

I've snowchecked an XC850...time will tell if it’s good or not, but my experience with Polaris 800s has been very positive. I’m sure the Doo 850 is a nice machine as well, but the main difference for me since 2015 and the introduction of the AXYS has been the Polaris front end and how nicely it handles. 

Edited by Allison Burgers
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Actually I watched and don't disagree with what they said.  They are bang on with the poor front ride of the Doo and it's ergonomic awkward fit.  I wasn't surprised by the comment with respect to build quality but figured they would have put Yamaha as number 1 in fit and finish but my 1200 was nicely built so makes sense.  Other than the goofy shop talk the show was OK 

Yes, I was nearly a Polaris convert there..... was trying to get away with the goods.  The sled did handle well, and I said as such. 

However...... you are surprised that a 4-stroke 1200cc Doo sled feels heavier in the front end than a Poo 2-stroke 800?  Even I haven't made that claim.  But I will say, it's not enough to matter, to me, anyway.  I'm on my third 1200, and I think they don't handle much different than an 800.  Slightly heavier, sure.  Hard to cheat physics. 

But I do have a question.  If the archaic ol' Doo front end is no match for the vastly superior Polaris..... why could neither Polaris that day keep the 1200 in sight on twisty trails at elevated velocities?   Or on any other weekend, for that matter..... puzzling. 

Yes, I do recall that  blown used belt, on the used machine that fellow purchased.  I remember a flat battery too.  But I have to blame the owner for those.  I've had pretty good luck with Doos, and have trashed on them pretty hard over the years.  No blown engines.... yet.  This year my fuel gauge was wonky (inaccurate) on a sled I rebuilt, but otherwise it's handled some pretty good abuse without issue.  

Congrats on the 850.  I'm sure it will be a nice sled.  Not a Doo, but nice.  :)

On 4/4/2018 at 11:21 AM, Allison Burgers said:

I happened to be along on that ride....I remember when the owner of the XCR had to pry it out of your hands to get it back as you wouldn’t even get off of it...actually having to put his hands on the handlebars to stop you from starting it up and driving away again as you did after we stopped the first time.....and that night your comments did not reflect what you’ve since said and posted... but whatever...I know what to expect from you.

I too, drove the r motion and XCR and Pro S that day. Pro S rear and r motion are very similar in my opinion, XCR is stiffer, but was designed and sold as such. The archaic, heavy, darty Doo front end was no match for the Polaris.

The fit and finish of the Doo is better, but Polaris has made large leaps in that area.

The biggest difference was the fun factor, the AXYS  chassis is fun to ride where as the Doo felt like a tank.

Ive owned Polaris’s since 89 (I’m the Poo diehard in my group, not Poncho, who has actually owned more Doos and Cats then Poo) and Polaris 800s since the triple in 99, with a brief break for a 700 in 2007. I put over 5000 miles on each 800 (and 700) I had. I never had any issues, except on my 2002 800 after putting a Legend kit on it...that was my own mistake. The others were left stock with small clutching changes and never let me down.

During that period I rode with lots of other types in our group and the only catastrophic engine failures happened on 670, 800 and 1200 Doos and 700 Cats. There were other issues with the Polaris’s I rode with including broken clutch springs and drive shaft bearing failures, failed stator, but the Doos also suffered from a clutch nut failure and bearing failures. The only blown belt I’ve seen since around 2000 happened on a Doo. I’m sure other guys have stories of Polaris’s having failures that they rode with...I can only report what I’ve experienced. 

I've snowchecked an XC850...time will tell if it’s good or not, but my experience with Polaris 800s has been very positive. I’m sure the Doo 850 is a nice machine as well, but the main difference for me since 2015 and the introduction of the AXYS has been the Polaris front end and how nicely it handles. 

Ok, I did watch a few minutes of it.  I do like to give everyone the gears, but the Lesters are hard to watch regardless, no matter what brand they're touting. 

I have a friend who used to hang out with the original Snowtrax guys, and he's told me some stories.  He knew John well.  No comparison to the current crop of Lesters. 

If they at least brought back Sled Ed, it would save us from 5 minutes of Lester language. 

On 4/4/2018 at 2:08 PM, Poncho said:

Actually I watched and don't disagree with what they said.  They are bang on with the poor front ride of the Doo and it's ergonomic awkward fit.  I wasn't surprised by the comment with respect to build quality but figured they would have put Yamaha as number 1 in fit and finish but my 1200 was nicely built so makes sense.  Other than the goofy shop talk the show was OK 

6 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Yes, I was nearly a Polaris convert there..... was trying to get away with the goods.  The sled did handle well, and I said as such. 

However...... you are surprised that a 4-stroke 1200cc Doo sled feels heavier in the front end than a Poo 2-stroke 800?  Even I haven't made that claim.  But I will say, it's not enough to matter, to me, anyway.  I'm on my third 1200, and I think they don't handle much different than an 800.  Slightly heavier, sure.  Hard to cheat physics. 

But I do have a question.  If the archaic ol' Doo front end is no match for the vastly superior Polaris..... why could neither Polaris that day keep the 1200 in sight on twisty trails at elevated velocities?   Or on any other weekend, for that matter..... puzzling. 

Yes, I do recall that  blown used belt, on the used machine that fellow purchased.  I remember a flat battery too.  But I have to blame the owner for those.  I've had pretty good luck with Doos, and have trashed on them pretty hard over the years.  No blown engines.... yet.  This year my fuel gauge was wonky (inaccurate) on a sled I rebuilt, but otherwise it's handled some pretty good abuse without issue.  

Congrats on the 850.  I'm sure it will be a nice sled.  Not a Doo, but nice.  :)

I also spent some time on 2 different 800 Doos, one had the adjustable skis, both had r motion. The  r motion worked great, the seats were nice, performance good...but both felt like a heavy front end, like the 1200. I messed with the settings but could not get rid of the heavy feeling...especially noticeable when you are in the twisties as compared to the AXYS. Haven’t driven the Perry chassis, perhaps it’s an improvement.

As for your recollections of that day.....the two times you took off on us, you were driving...wait for it...the XCR! The other time you passed was when we were lined up behind other sleds waiting to cross the road in Pettawawa and you passed everyone on the left and then proceeded into the intersection getting stuck in the middle with oncoming traffic both ways. The guy in front of us stood up with his arms in the air giving us the “wtf is your buddy doing?” gesture...I could only laugh as I didn’t know wtf you were doing either.

I guess you’ve forgotten about other rides where you got so far behind you couldn’t even see our snow dust and ending up making a wrong turn at an intersection and getting lost...lol.

We can all ride at asshat velocity when we want regardless of whose sled we are on...just don’t do it as much now as I’m getting older.

Thanks, looking forward to the XC 850, hopefully it’s close to the hype..I’ll let you try it.....lol...just kidding..... of course I won’t let you near it...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Ok, I did watch a few minutes of it.  I do like to give everyone the gears, but the Lesters are hard to watch regardless, no matter what brand they're touting. 

I have a friend who used to hang out with the original Snowtrax guys, and he's told me some stories.  He knew John well.  No comparison to the current crop of Lesters. 

If they at least brought back Sled Ed, it would save us from 5 minutes of Lester language

:thumb:

55 minutes ago, Allison Burgers said:

I also spent some time on 2 different 800 Doos, one had the adjustable skis, both had r motion. The  r motion worked great, the seats were nice, performance good...but both felt like a heavy front end, like the 1200. I messed with the settings but could not get rid of the heavy feeling...especially noticeable when you are in the twisties as compared to the AXYS. Haven’t driven the Perry chassis, perhaps it’s an improvement.

As for your recollections of that day.....the two times you took off on us, you were driving...wait for it...the XCR! The other time you passed was when we were lined up behind other sleds waiting to cross the road in Pettawawa and you passed everyone on the left and then proceeded into the intersection getting stuck in the middle with oncoming traffic both ways. The guy in front of us stood up with his arms in the air giving us the “wtf is your buddy doing?” gesture...I could only laugh as I didn’t know wtf you were doing either.

I guess you’ve forgotten about other rides where you got so far behind you couldn’t even see our snow dust and ending up making a wrong turn at an intersection and getting lost...lol.

We can all ride at asshat velocity when we want regardless of whose sled we are on...just don’t do it as much now as I’m getting older.

Thanks, looking forward to the XC 850, hopefully it’s close to the hype..I’ll let you try it.....lol...just kidding..... of course I won’t let you near it...

Ahh. So the ugly truth about Puzzle is starting to finally surface. Sounds like even Red Rocket on his old "polio braces" 600 Poo would leave him for dead on a spirited trail ride/race with the boys. I guess anyone can talk a good game from the comfort of a keyboard though. Too funny.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Allison Burgers said:

8 hours ago, Pete Z said:

Ahh. So the ugly truth about Puzzle is starting to finally surface. Sounds like even Red Rocket on his old "polio braces" 600 Poo would leave him for dead on a spirited trail ride/race with the boys. I guess anyone can talk a good game from the comfort of a keyboard though. Too funny.

:lol:I am sure we all have some stories, of course each persons version will differ slightly depending on their point of view! 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Didn't I sell you a Doo bag?  Traitor!   lol

Did you get some miles on? 

Not really a traitor. Or brand loyal. Just buy what works for me. The 1200 works good, lots I like about it and a couple things I don't like. If Polaris had a newer 4-stroke I would have considered it. I don't get my shorts in a knot if someone wants to criticize it.

Didn't do nearly as many miles as  I had hoped. Between work and a lack of snow, oh well. There's always next winter. Just means less maintenance to do in the off season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

Wait so someone actually rode with the Puzzler? Huh ok!

And he's been called out by a riding partner for liking polaris more than his doo and riding slow :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Seems we struck a nerve....    The only reason I ever held back when following, is because you both ride antiquated technology sleds that stink like fuck.  lol   In any case, easy to settle.... wager up the pink slip to that shiny new 850 on a trail of your choosing.  I'll wager and bring a lowly, heavy, underpowered, archaic 1200 to the fold.  We'll GoPro it, and post the vid here after.  Just let me know when!

I haven't seen you ride "asshat" once.  Well, except for the time you forgot to fill your injection bottle, brought no extra, and held the entire group up in Petawawa while you sourced "special" super high performance Polaris oil.  Then you seemed to move a little faster. 

You must have been getting older for quite some time now.   Petawawa?  Lol, ok   ..... don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.  I was referring to any ride.  I do remember you passing once though in a flurry of ice chunks and mud, and bark chips...... nearly meeting your maker on a strategically placed birch tree. 

A wrong turn and getting lost, now that's funny!  Even Poncho said that was your fault, as you didn't remain at a trailhead to ensure the next guy knew which way to go on an unfamiliar trail.   That's one way to do it..... lol  And I still beat you back to the cottage on the longer trail .... lmao.  If that's lost, I'll take it.  The best though, was the hissy fit after in front of everybody in the cottage when it was agreed you fucked up.  It looked like a pubescent schoolgirl kicking over a chair, and storming off to her room.  Thanks for reminding us of that epic meltdown..... I'd forgotten! 

You guys always give us a good chuckle though with your "Polaris rules" comments.  Yet neither could keep pace with my lowly 600, 800, or 1200.  Yet you talk smack about Doo performance routinely.  Perhaps we're getting at the real reason why -  it's simply not an equipment issue at your end? 

Yes, rode the XCR once.  Handled and went fine.  Best sled ever.   Rode my sleds the rest of the time.  Have yet to see either of you within 5+ minutes of stopping at the next stop.... and that's a fact.  So not sure why you worry about how a sled feels in the "twisties".... you don't ride nearly quickly enough for it to matter.  And there's nothing wrong with that. 

Why you'd therefore buy an 850, is beyond me. Go for the Evo.  It would have a lighter feel that you value, especially when extricating yourself from the next 24" wide washout.  (Or just hit the gym a little more often than Timmy's, if these snowmobiles seem heavy)

No worries on the 850.  I doubt you'd let anybody near it that might blow the carbon out of it..... :)

On 4/7/2018 at 7:34 AM, Allison Burgers said:

Edited by Puzzleboy

Factual stories are even better though. 

On 4/7/2018 at 5:05 PM, Stoney said:

:lol:I am sure we all have some stories, of course each persons version will differ slightly depending on their point of view! 

Yes, I would take that pro-Polaris narrative as gospel.  You forget that I rode once with the ol' Rocket.  He wasn't in the same time zone. 

Aw, what's the use....... sounds like you're deep in the bottle again anyway.  Wait for it..... one of Pete's whiskey-fuelled rants coming up. 

How many miles you put on this year, you miserable old drunk?   Talk about comfy keyboarding.... lol

On 4/7/2018 at 8:37 AM, Pete Z said:

Edited by Puzzleboy

And yet I bought another Doo...... hmmmmm.  Perhaps that account is less than factual?  Actually, when I rode that sled, I made a post about it.  I did say it handled well.  I also said it's rear skid didn't compare to current Doos.  Go ahead, read, it's all in the old 850 thread. 

And that was the start of the Polarii  meltdowns.  Poncho came apart at the seams, took his Tonkas, and went home. 

All over a FS post.  As we've all said before, some simply can't handle an unmoderated sled forum.  It's not for everybody. 

15 hours ago, Kev144 said:

And he's been called out by a riding partner for liking polaris more than his doo and riding slow :lol: 

Edited by Puzzleboy