Anti-Trump Republican Evan McMullin Announces Presidential Bid

It's an interesting resume this McMullin has.

https://www.evanmcmullin.com/

Anti-Trump Republican Evan McMullin Announces Presidential Bid

By 
JULIAN ROUTH
Aug 8, 2016 11:32 am ET

Evan McMullin, an anti-Trump Republican who has served as the chief policy director of the House Republican Conference, announced an independent bid for president Monday, hoping to garner the support of GOP voters who are wary of the New York businessman.

Mr. McMullin, whose resume includes an M.B.A. degree from Wharton and stints at Goldman Sachs and the Central Intelligence Agency,  has already missed more than half of the states’ ballot-filing deadlines, but his longshot bid could potentially have an impact in key battleground states such as Ohio, Virginia and New Hampshire – assuming he can raise money and build an organization.

He still has time to get on the ballot in 24 states and in Washington, D.C., but the deadline to file in seven of those states is Wednesday. He will have to get thousands of signatures in each state by their respective deadlines to get on the ballots, which will require him to have an organized strategy on the ground. He would have to collect 5,000 signatures in Ohio, 5,000 in Virginia and 3,000 in New Hampshire, according to state election rules. Before California’s filing deadline this Friday, he would need to gather upwards of 150,000 signatures.

In a statement to ABC News, Mr. McMullin said: “It’s never too late to do the right thing, and America deserves much better than either Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton can offer us.”

Mr. McMullin launched a campaign website soon after the first reports of his candidacy surfaced Monday morning.

Nate Hodson, a spokesman for the House Republican Conference, said the group  has “zero knowledge” of Mr. McMullin’s intentions. An aide for the organization said Mr. McMullin is no longer an employee there. Mr. McMullin couldn’t be immediately reached for comment.

The House Republican Conference, made up of all GOP House members, aims to give legislators the opportunity to organize jointly and discuss the party’s message.

Mr. McMullin has been a vocal critic of the Republican presidential nominee on Twitter, labeling him as an “authoritarian” and criticizing the real estate billionaire for refusing to release his tax returns.

In one tweet in May, he wrote, “Opposing @realDonaldTrump is about putting principle over power, a virtue some in Washington are too quick to abandon. #NeverTrump.”

Mr. McMullin held a campaign meeting Sunday that included members of Better for America, BuzzFeed reported Monday.  The conservative group pledged in June to bankroll an independent candidate.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/08/08/anti-trump-republican-evan-mcmullin-announces-presidential-bid/?mod=e2tw

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Will he be on the voting ballot?

He's a real conservative but it depends on how much time you volunteer going door to door to get him on the ballot.  Looks like a good choice.  What do you think? :snack:

11 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

He's a real conservative but it depends on how much time you volunteer going door to door to get him on the ballot.  Looks like a good choice.  What do you think? :snack:

way better then what you girls have.:snack:

A former staffer for a congressman.  I mean come on he might be a good guy but not hardly qualified to be POTUS.   Even by Obama standards.  :lmao:

9 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

:lmao: says the trump supporter.

Qualifications do not come in elected political office alone and this guy has neither a lot of public or private sector experience.   I mean you have to be somewhat egotistical to run in the first place but with this guys qualifications its a complete joke.  

The mere fact that some GOP members are announcing support for Hillary over Johnson tells you a lot about who they are.  Johnson is quite conservative on many things except abortion and he is way more conservative than Hillary Clinton on that. 

Edited by Highmark

8 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Qualifications do not come in elected political office alone and this guy has neither a lot of public or private sector experience.   I mean you have to be somewhat egotistical to run in the first place but with this guys qualifications its a complete joke.  

The mere fact that some GOP members are announcing support for Hillary over Johnson tells you a lot about who they are.  Johnson is quite conservative on many things except abortion and he is way more conservative than Hillary Clinton on that. 

dude, you support trump. you bashed obama. you really have no business discussing presidential qualifications. sorry.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

dude, you support trump. you bashed obama. you really have no business discussing presidential qualifications. sorry.

You supported obama. He had zero qualifications to be president 

44 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

And you continuously fall for the bullshit stories being put out by the left wing.  You aren't qualified to discuss anything.  SORRY.

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

A former staffer for a congressman.  I mean come on he might be a good guy but not hardly qualified to be POTUS.   Even by Obama standards.  :lmao:

Although the anti-Trump conservative has never been elected to office, he was an operations officer for the Central Intelligence Agency from 1999 to 2010, according to his LinkedIn profile. He then worked as an investment banking associate at Goldman Sachs for three years. In 2013, he assumed a senior advisor position for Republicans at the House of Representatives. Two years later, he became chief policy director for the House GOP, his current position. McMullin attended Brigham Young University for his bachelor's degree and earned an MBA from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, the same school where Trump completed his undergraduate work.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/5-things-know-about-evan-mcmullin-n625381

12 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Goldman Sachs and CIA ....I'm sure he's a real fucking gem

Fuck this POS

Good national security guy, he will be a good outlet guy for security conscience Republicans who think that's Trump's isolationist viewpoint is fucked up but yet can't stand to vote for Clinton.

13 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Good national security guy, he will be a good outlet guy for security conscience Republicans who think that's Trump's isolationist viewpoint is fucked up but yet can't stand to vote for Clinton.

.......because she is nothing more than a pandering lying fraud.

There...you forgot that part.  

30 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

well admittedly I havent educated myself on the guy but I'd bet everything I own he is another POS neocon bent on destroying the 4th amendment and over-selling the threat of terrorism to achieve his ends

2 hours ago, f7ben said:

well admittedly I havent educated myself on the guy but I'd bet everything I own he is another POS neocon bent on destroying the 4th amendment and over-selling the threat of terrorism to achieve his ends

Sounds like he could be your kind of guy:

My Fellow Americans,

Our American Nation is the greatest experiment in freedom the world has ever known. It’s given generations of citizens the blessings of liberty ever since the Founding Fathers risked their lives in what seemed like an improbable bid for independence. While the republic they created was one of imperfect freedoms, for 240 years the arc of progress and liberty has moved ever-upward. Even in times of economic crisis and war, our nation has been a singular source of hope for people throughout the world yearning for liberty, dignity and opportunity.

I proudly and quietly served our country for most of my adult life, first as an undercover operations officer with the Central Intelligence Agency and more recently as a senior national security and policy advisor in the House of Representatives. My service has given me unique, firsthand knowledge of the threats our nation faces, the burdens borne by hardworking Americans, and the numerous areas of our government that desperately need reform.

Like millions of Americans, I had hoped this year would bring us better nominees who, despite party differences, could offer compelling visions of a better future. Instead, we have been left with two candidates who are fundamentally unfit for the profound responsibilities they seek.

Hillary Clinton is a corrupt career politician who has recklessly handled classified information in an attempt to avoid accountability and put American lives at risk including those of my former colleagues. She fails the basic tests of judgment and ethics any candidate for President must meet. Moreover, she only offers stale economic ideas like the same old top-down government control that has brought us eight years of historically low growth.

Donald Trump appeals to the worst fears of Americans at a time when we need unity, not division. Republicans are deeply divided by a man who is perilously close to gaining the most powerful position in the world, and many rightly see him as a real threat to our Republic. Given his obvious personal instability, putting him in command of our military and nuclear arsenal would be deeply irresponsible. His infatuation with strongmen and demagogues like Vladimir Putin is anathema to American values. We cannot and must not elect him.

Millions of Americans are not being represented by either of these candidates; those of us who care about the strength of the military and intelligence services find little to embrace in either Trump or Clinton.

Americans who believe in limited, Constitutional government that is smaller, smarter, and more accountable view both Clinton and Trump as symbols of corruption and excess that provide no hope of basic competence in the federal government.

Those who embrace the dignity and value of every human life from conception until death; who understand the crushing danger of our unsustainable national debt; who believe deference to our Constitution outweighs partisan political priorities are all looking for something better than the two major party candidates are offering. These foundational and time-tested principles transcend party and politics but sadly have no champion in this election. We must not abandon the fight for these values, for doing so will deprive future generations of Americans the bright future we want to give them.

With the stakes so high for our nation and at this late stage in the process, I can no longer stand on the sidelines. Our country needs leaders who are in it for the right reasons and who actually understand what makes this country the greatest on earth. Leaders who will unite us and guide us to a prosperous, secure future, beyond the dysfunction of a broken political system.

Just as the American Revolution required men and women devoted to liberty and freedom to stand up and be counted, this moment calls a new generation to the same sacred task. With that in mind, I have decided to pursue the cause of American renewal and the Presidency of the United States of America.

With Hope For Our Future,

Evan McMullin

https://www.evanmcmullin.com/my_letter_to_america

Evan McMullin is an independent candidate for President.

5 hours ago, Highmark said:

How come over 50 former GOP security officials/advisors/appointees oppose Dump?  :read:

2 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

How come over 50 former GOP security officials/advisors/appointees oppose Dump?  :read:

Because they understand the danger of the Russian bear, and nobody in the GOP will forget the naievte of this line:  "I looked the man in the eye. I found him very straight-forward and trustworthy – I was able to get a sense of his soul."