Doggie picture thread

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Burton (on the right) - Bull Mastif/American Bulldog, 110ish lbs (after his diet), had to put him down 2 years ago in a few days (May 29).

Dexter - American Bulldog, 90ish lbs, he will be 6 years this Summer.

2014 (39).jpg

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Ben (13 years)

2016-05-11 19.22.53.jpg

And Remington (12 weeks)

2016-05-22 17.37.01.jpg

Cute dogs. I see Remington has no shortage of toys :bc:

37 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Burton (on the right) - Bull Mastif/American Bulldog, 110ish lbs (after his diet), had to put him down 2 years ago in a few days (May 29).

Dexter - American Bulldog, 90ish lbs, he will be 6 years this Summer.

2014 (39).jpg

Was Burton sick or just ready to go? Regardless, that sucks :(

1 minute ago, xcr700 said:

Was Burton sick or just ready to go? Regardless, that sucks :(

He had congestive heart failure...his heart was the size of his chest cavity.

Very common, usually goes unnoticed, than the animal will take a sudden turn for the worse.....at least that is what we found out.

Part of the heart shuts down months before anything is noticed, so the other organs and heart work in overdrive to make up for it, that eventually leads your pet in distress.

Depending on how bad it is, the heart can be drained of the fluid, but that usually just buys some time before it fills up again.

Burton woke up one morning, had no interest in food, which never happens, got worse as the day went on, came home from work early to take him to the vet, did the various tests and by midnight that day he was  euthanized....I had no idea how hard it was going to be putting him down, have a totally new respect for someone who tells me they had to put their pet down. 

32 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Very common, usually goes unnoticed, than the animal will take a sudden turn for the worse.....at least that is what we found out.

Part of the heart shuts down months before anything is noticed, so the other organs and heart work in overdrive to make up for it, that eventually leads your pet in distress.

Depending on how bad it is, the heart can be drained of the fluid, but that usually just buys some time before it fills up again.

Burton woke up one morning, had no interest in food, which never happens, got worse as the day went on, came home from work early to take him to the vet, did the various tests and by midnight that day he was  euthanized....I had no idea how hard it was going to be putting him down, have a totally new respect for someone who tells me they had to put their pet down. 

yeah. I'll be a train wreck I'm sure if I have to put ours down . Really can't imagine 

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Very sorry to hear this....and agree its been over 2 yrs since i put my jack russel eddie down and still get upset when i think of him...the vet said try and think of the good times you shared with him but its tough....they play such huge part in our lives.

53 minutes ago, xcr700 said:

yeah. I'll be a train wreck I'm sure if I have to put ours down . Really can't imagine 

It's no joke.  Not gonna lie a bit, I've lost 4 now and cried like a girl every time.  We take a week off to get our heads straight.  It's tough as hell.....for every one of them.

This is Zambroski.  My first boy.  Almost 15 when I put him down.

image.jpg

Edited by Zambroski
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Husky and a malamute?  

Yep.  The little one is Piper.  She's not that little (bout 45 lbs) but he's a damn Ogre.  Kenai is 160 pounds of oaf.  My little polar bear cub.  Just as sweet as he can be, but sure as hell can stop you in your tracks with his looks.  

Here with his little friend:

image.jpg

8 hours ago, Zambroski said:

It's no joke.  Not gonna lie a bit, I've lost 4 now and cried like a girl every time.  We take a week off to get our heads straight.  It's tough as hell.....for every one of them.

This is Zambroski.  My first boy.  Almost 15 when I put him down.

image.jpg

Not going to easy . I'm on the fence about what would be easier , coming home and finding her passed away, or making the decision to put her down and being there . 

9 hours ago, Stoney said:

Our 15 year old doodle died of a heart attack couple months ago.  It's still hard and she was very gentle but quite destructive.  I guess in that way she made it easy for us.

We lost our best friend a year ago, difficult day for sure. She had enough energy to walk into the vets office but didn't come out. She was 10 years old and developed a bunch of problems before loosing her appetite. 316721_10150434539077812_2073391667_n.jpg10846474_10152899755687812_4965961037123986740_n.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stoney said:

We had a golden retriever for just short of 15 years. He went out to do his business and his back legs gave out. He couldn't stand up. My wife and I took him to the vet. He had a tumor that we couldn't see. It was as you said so hard having him put down and leaving there without him. A member of our family was gone. We both cried a lot.

13 minutes ago, 02sled said:

We had a golden retriever for just short of 15 years. He went out to do his business and his back legs gave out. He couldn't stand up. My wife and I took him to the vet. He had a tumor that we couldn't see. It was as you said so hard having him put down and leaving there without him. A member of our family was gone. We both cried a lot.

Ben has had two tumors removed in his front left leg, one last year and now just 6 weeks ago and is still recovering from the surgery.  Did not have the heart to put him down.  Took both dogs on a walk yesterday. 

Edited by ArcticCrusher

25 minutes ago, ckf said:

Here's our Izzy B (Izzabella)  She would chase a tennis ball all day long if there was someone willing to throw it that long.

DSC_2425.jpg

DSC_2420.jpg

DSC_2457.jpg

I love dogs like that.  I've never had one though.  Take something out of a Husky's mouth and throw it and you are going to get a look of confusion and they'll wait for you to go get it.  I swear I heard one mumble this to me: "WTF did you do that for you idiot!  Go get it yourself not, but get me a pig ear first...and hurry the fuck up about it!"

52 minutes ago, xcr700 said:

Not going to easy . I'm on the fence about what would be easier , coming home and finding her passed away, or making the decision to put her down and being there . 

Neither.  I lost one to a stroke (I think).  Came home and she was in her normal spot sleeping (I thought).  Went to give her a treat and within 3 steps I know something was wrong. She was gone.  I just sat with her for a good while.  What haunts me on two of the three I made the choice for was waiting too long.  Trying to medicate them back to health and telling myself they'll get better.  It was selfish and I'll never forgive myself.  When you make the decision, and it's no easy one, but when it is decided, set the appointment and KEEP IT.  That's what I did for my last one and while it was still shit-ass tough, I gave him the gift of going with more dignity and less pain.

Damn this shouldn't be a feel bad thread...but we all know it's coming.  We sure do love these guys (and girls).

8 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

My wife will be over in the middle of the nite to commandeer him to our family.  

Well, I may have bad news for you both....it's gonna be up to him if he wants to get in the car or not. You may be able to walk him right to the door but that may it.  Cuz if he ain't helping load himself up...well...good luck.  Bring meat.  He likes BBQ.

Edited by Zambroski

7 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I love dogs like that.  I've never had one though.  Take something out of a Husky's mouth and throw it and you are going to get a look of confusion and they'll wait for you to go get it.  I swear I heard one mumble this to me: "WTF did you do that for you idiot!  Go get it yourself not, but get me a pig ear first...and hurry the fuck up about it!"

Izzy just can't get enough of it. When she was a pup I bribed here to bring me back the ball with a piece of Beggin strip.