Iron dog is live

Anler

Another Doo team bites the dust.  Team 7 left McGrath this morning on a torrid pace.  Aaron was going a little too fast and got bucked over the bars.  The sled ran him over and he broke his femur.  They tried to ride back to McGrath but it was far to painful so they went to Ophir and called a medivac.  

Those guys were on a good run.  I feel bad for them.  

A massive storm has hit to coast.  IronDog has called a halt to the race until conditions improve.  Once teams reach Unalakleet they will be held until the storm passes and the race can be restarted.  

At one point today Team 8 Aklestad/Johnson on Doo's had a 12 minute lead over Team 10 Morgan/Olds on Poo's.  That lead shrank to only 4 minutes once the teams reached Kaltag.  Team 6 Schachle/George is 30 minutes behind in 3rd place.    Lots of fast racing today.  

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Another Doo team bites the dust.  Team 7 left McGrath this morning on a torrid pace.  Aaron was going a little too fast and got bucked over the bars.  The sled ran him over and he broke his femur.  They tried to ride back to McGrath but it was far to painful so they went to Ophir and called a medivac.  

Those guys were on a good run.  I feel bad for them.  

A massive storm has hit to coast.  IronDog has called a halt to the race until conditions improve.  Once teams reach Unalakleet they will be held until the storm passes and the race can be restarted.  

At one point today Team 8 Aklestad/Johnson on Doo's had a 12 minute lead over Team 10 Morgan/Olds on Poo's.  That lead shrank to only 4 minutes once the teams reached Kaltag.  Team 6 Schachle/George is 30 minutes behind in 3rd place.    Lots of fast racing today.  

Broken femur....that is nothing to Fuck with....damn.

So the huge storm off the coast has halted all racers and trail class riders in Unalakleet.  Team 8 arrived in Unalakleet about 5 minutes ahead of Team 10.  Team 6 is about 28 minutes behind Team 10.  

Another Doo team scratched last night.  Team 34 Collins/Jones had some trouble with a water crossing and sank one of the sleds.  They had been having trouble with the other so they threw in the towel.

Team 22 Ashley & Rachel broke a jackshaft on their Poo's last night.  They towed to Galena and made repairs.  They should be back on the trail here soon.  

• Thanks 1

Th

39 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

So the huge storm off the coast has halted all racers and trail class riders in Unalakleet.  Team 8 arrived in Unalakleet about 5 minutes ahead of Team 10.  Team 6 is about 28 minutes behind Team 10.  

Another Doo team scratched last night.  Team 34 Collins/Jones had some trouble with a water crossing and sank one of the sleds.  They had been having trouble with the other so they threw in the towel.

Team 22 Ashley & Rachel broke a jackshaft on their Poo's last night.  They towed to Galena and made repairs.  They should be back on the trail here soon.  

heard just now from Rebecca ...........

BIG NEWS!!!

30 hour weather hold in Unalakleet!

4 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Wow.  That is bad.  

yeah ! I grabbed that after asking him .....John Woodbury ! who shot the video then added music that was fitting too it ! This gives me goosebumps every time watching it .. And yes I wanna be there !!

Edited by farmereddie

So from the sounds of it the race is on hold until 8am Wednesday morning.  At this time the Race Marshals will decide whether to let the teams race up the coast to Nome or hold them longer.  All commercial flights into and out of Nome have been cancelled for the foreseeable future.  

I think most of the Iron Dog Airforce is grounded in Galena.  

• Thanks 1

And were off !!!!

Below is from fb  Rebecca

Trail Class riders have been released from UNK and are making their way toward Nome.

Talk about a nerve wracking experience knowing pro teams will be sneaking up on you.

There are some narrow trails running down into Shaktoolik that can make for some slow downs if there's a traffic jam.

Edited by farmereddie
  • Like 1

Man white out conditions are brutal......I went out on to a lake to cross this last weekend and it was 100% whiteout. By half way across the lake I was down to 10mph and totally disoriented. My fucking eyes hurt after just minutes and I could not focus. That shit sucked ass

Hahaha.

Well it seems the etecs, or at least a few of the etecs are having fuel system trouble.  I don't know a lot of details but Team 8 was running pretty good till koyuk and then started slowing drastically.  They lost about 2 hours and the lead today.  Reports are fuel issues but I'm not sure exactly what that means.  Team 6 said they had trouble with fuel on the Yukon but their sleds are running great now.

In the mean time Team 10 Morgan/Olds on Polaris have checked in to Nome with a 24 minute lead over Team 6 Schachle/George.  As of right now we have 8 teams in Nome and 2 more that will be there in the next 30 minutes.  

There are lots of Facebook videos of the teams arriving at Nome.  Visibility was just horrible according to most of the racers interviewed.  

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

Man white out conditions are brutal......I went out on to a lake to cross this last weekend and it was 100% whiteout. By half way across the lake I was down to 10mph and totally disoriented. My fucking eyes hurt after just minutes and I could not focus. That shit sucked ass

I've done it on a sled and in a car. It's scary for sure. 

3 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

I've done it on a sled and in a car. It's scary for sure. 

Yup.....made it to the other side and then followed shore until I could get off the lake. Worst I've ever been in and I knew exactly where I was. Cant imagine encountering those type of conditions in the ID race in the middle of bumfuck nowhere with little support close by .