No Trump did not reverse Obama rule to stop mentally ill from getting guns

jtssrx

14 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

It’s kinda strange that the mental illness which has the highest likelihood of violence is the most treatable with medication. 

Which one?

13 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

True.  It’s also the reason it’s not fair, nevermind unconstitutional, to have a “black list” of sorts to infringe on Constitutional rights.  

And nobody that isn’t an overly emotionally charged twat can agree what the definition of “mentally ill” should be.  

There's literally a book that defines mental illnesses and you have to become a Dr. before you're considered capable of using that book to diagnose people... Nobody but a psychiatrist can truly define mental illnesses.

20 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

True.  It’s also the reason it’s not fair, nevermind unconstitutional, to have a “black list” of sorts to infringe on Constitutional rights.  

And nobody that isn’t an overly emotionally charged twat can agree what the definition of “mentally ill” should be.  

The research on the various mental illnesses is in-depth and deep. So defining it is very possible. Predicting dangerous behaviors associated with mental illness isn’t. 

5 hours ago, spin_dry said:

The research on the various mental illnesses is in-depth and deep. So defining it is very possible. Predicting dangerous behaviors associated with mental illness isn’t. 

Trying to predict somebody acting on their impulses is impossible.  We all have some sort of "dissorder"...or a mulititude of them.  The trick is trying to see who will lose the ability to control their impulses (the demons).  I just don't see how with the person in Vegas.  Nothing was there to act on any assumption.  Clearly, this last one had all the signs and warnings and it would appear nothing was done at all.  But, even knowing that...what could have been done that was realistic?  Can't lock murderers up before they act.  But I think there was enough law on the books to dig deeper and maybe prevent this.  30 calls to his house for violence???  At a certain point (way before 30 visits), a look into his arsenal may be warranted.  And a complaint to the FBI???????  Clearly somebody felt this freak was a danger...and nobody did shit.  Another WTF is the FBI for again, question.

Does snopes.com have a political affiliation with either side?  After I watching the OP's video, I checked snopes and found this: 

"While the law did not change who is required to be the subject of background checks, it is true that Trump signed into law the repeal of a measure that would have plausibly prevented certain classes of mentally ill people from purchasing firearms by allowing a new data source to be included in the system that runs those background checks. As such we rank the claim [that 'Trump revoked gun background checks for mentally ill people'] as mostly true."

https://www.snopes.com/trump-sign-bill-revoking-obama-era-gun-checks-people-mental-illnesses/

As a gun owner myself, I'm just curious about the topic.

Edited by CaddisFly

14 minutes ago, CaddisFly said:

Does snopes.com have a political affiliation with either side?  After I watching the OP's video, I checked snopes and found this: 

"While the law did not change who is required to be the subject of background checks, it is true that Trump signed into law the repeal of a measure that would have plausibly prevented certain classes of mentally ill people from purchasing firearms by allowing a new data source to be included in the system that runs those background checks. As such we rank the claim [that 'Trump revoked gun background checks for mentally ill people'] as mostly true."

https://www.snopes.com/trump-sign-bill-revoking-obama-era-gun-checks-people-mental-illnesses/

As a gun owner myself, I'm just curious about the topic.

Snopes started heading left when they began enlisting liberal media columnists to do their research.  I find it a crap liberal site now.  I’ve actually emailed them once on something that was clearly in accurate and not a damn thing back.

12 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Snopes started heading left when they began enlisting liberal media columnists to do their research.  I find it a crap liberal site now.  I’ve actually emailed them once on something that was clearly in accurate and not a damn thing back.

I’m sure it was a calm and non-threatening email from you lol...