So .....got rang the fuck up at work

f7ben

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I wasn't disparaging licensed electricians at all....just making the point that the maintenance trade is 100% different than what 90% of Licensed electricians have any experience with. 

A lot of trades are like that. 1/2 the time we hire a licensed plumber we have to show them what kind of backflow protection they need where and how to properly install it.

19 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I wasn't disparaging licensed electricians at all....just making the point that the maintenance trade is 100% different than what 90% of Licensed electricians have any experience with. 

I'm confused?  You are a journeyman, but not licensed?  

5 hours ago, sledderj said:

The current is the constant out of the equation.  The voltage required varies greatly based on the environment the current has to travel through.  

Indeed, although depending on the path the current may need to be greater.  Directly across the heart doesn't take a lot.

Neal

2 hours ago, sledderj said:

I'm confused?  You are a journeyman, but not licensed?  

I am not a journeyman....that would imply I am licensed. I have been working Industrial Electrical Maintenance for 8 years now and went to Electrical school after high school. I have no college degree and no license. I got hired as a "tech" and spent 1.5 years working under an experienced electrician before being promoted to full electrician myself. 

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

I am not a journeyman....that would imply I am licensed. I have been working Industrial Electrical Maintenance for 8 years now and went to Electrical school after high school. I have no college degree and no license. I got hired as a "tech" and spent 1.5 years working under an experienced electrician before being promoted to full electrician myself. 

Wow, that's very different than what is done up here.  As soon as a new employee makes it through a 3 month probationary period, we indenture them into the apprenticeship program.  Over the next 4 years, as they accumulate the required hours, they periodically go to school and at the end, write their journeyman exams to qualify for their ticket.  

Our OSHA legislation would not allow us to use anything but journeymen or apprentices under the supervision of a journeyman to do much of our work.  

4 minutes ago, sledderj said:

Wow, that's very different than what is done up here.  As soon as a new employee makes it through a 3 month probationary period, we indenture them into the apprenticeship program.  Over the next 4 years, as they accumulate the required hours, they periodically go to school and at the end, write their journeyman exams to qualify for their ticket.  

Our OSHA legislation would not allow us to use anything but journeymen or apprentices under the supervision of a journeyman to do much of our work.  

Ya thats what i went through as well....but the factory I ended up at.after having my ticket for a few yrs..had what they called in house electricians....they were trained there and could not work any where else as they didnt have papers....they eventually grandfathered this.

OSHA requires me to be what is called a Qualified Electrical Person and it is largely up to the company to define that. I do have to be NFPA 70E certified and that is about the only certification requirement.

36 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Ya thats what i went through as well....but the factory I ended up at.after having my ticket for a few yrs..had what they called in house electricians....they were trained there and could not work any where else as they didnt have papers....they eventually grandfathered this.

Very few of the plants out here apprentice anyone.  They wait until contractors put them through school and get their JM's and then try to hire them.  

The only ones I knew of in Sask who were allowed to work on electrical without any schooling (other than a home owners) were Hutterites.  Then, a few years ago, the government cracked down on them and they sent each colonies "electrician" to classes.  They now can work on their own farm's equipment under a restricted licence.  I think they still have to get a contractor in to sign off on anything 600V.  :bc:  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sledderj said:

That's not how it's done everywhere down here.  

Basically what Ben does is what ever the laws allow him to do. But he and his manager know when they need to call in the big dogs. It's a cost saving measure the plant can't afford to have or justify having a bunch of guys hanging out making $350 an hour. Ben puts out the small fires and decides when to call the fire department

and hopes he don't get electrocuted doing it

Edited by Jet

7 hours ago, Jet said:

Basically what Ben does is what ever the laws allow him to do. But he and his manager know when they need to call in the big dogs. It's a cost saving measure the plant can't afford to have or justify having a bunch of guys hanging out making $350 an hour. Ben puts out the small fires and decides when to call the fire department

and hopes he don't get electrocuted doing it

Lolz...no

13 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Why dont you get your ticket?

Because we don't employ any master electricians for me to log hours under and a journeyman license is worthless in the maintenance field either way.

36 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Explain :news: 

Put a call in to the hall for a guy who can program , take care of instrumentation , has drive experience , and works with medium voltage switch gear and is familiar with 125MW furnace transformers and see what they tell you.

5 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

The oil and gas industry is very similar to where Ben works. Facility electricians are not necessarily journeyman electricians. Maybe 25% are but most are not.   

In house then....ben is not in house...hes worked more then one place.

18 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Put a call in to the hall for a guy who can program , take care of instrumentation , has drive experience , and works with medium voltage switch gear and is familiar with 125MW furnace transformers and see what they tell you.

That sounds like what any industrial electrician should know and be able to do....perhaps a bit of specialization...in a certain area...but nonetheless.

5 hours ago, DAVE said:

That sounds like what any industrial electrician should know and be able to do....perhaps a bit of specialization...in a certain area...but nonetheless.

In the US Journeyman electrician do almost no maintenance work out of a Union hall. It's mostly residential , commercial and the industrial work is conduit , raceway and pulling wire.

Again...there are piles of great journeyman electricians but they are not taught to be maintenance electricians.

Edited by f7ben

14 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

The oil and gas industry is very similar to where Ben works. Facility electricians are not necessarily journeyman electricians. Maybe 25% are but most are not.   

That really surprises me.  I would have thought with the heavy focus on safety in O&G that they would set a minimum standard for an electrical worker as a journeyman.  Ben's right in that apprentices only take cursory schooling on technical equipment, but they are taught theory and are tested to make sure they are able to do basic calculations.  Even things like hand signals and rigging are pretty useful to maintenance people.  

O&G here are JM as a minimum.

10 hours ago, f7ben said:

In Chicago we have a lot of inside wireman that have that have the experience and education to do all that, our apprenticeship program is a five year program that cover all aspects of the residential, commercial, and industrial disciplines. The apprentices who complete the 5 year course also earn 53 college credits towards an A.A.S. in electrical construction technology, Chicago area contractors have always invested heavily in training, our program is the model other programs across the country want to mimic.

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

In Chicago we have a lot of inside wireman that have that have the experience and education to do all that, our apprenticeship program is a five year program that cover all aspects of the residential, commercial, and industrial disciplines. The apprentices who complete the 5 year course also earn 53 college credits towards an A.A.S. in electrical construction technology, Chicago area contractors have always invested heavily in training, our program is the model other programs across the country want to mimic.

IBEW FTW.:thumbsup:

On 2/15/2018 at 3:44 PM, f7ben said:

completely electrical or some electronics too? i went to a tech school called "RETS" right after high school. i think there are a few still around. that was primarily electronics stuff. from there i worked as a tech for several years and then decided to get my electrical engineering degree. 

Edited by Snoslinger

8 hours ago, f7ben said:

In the US Journeyman electrician do almost no maintenance work out of a Union hall. It's mostly residential , commercial and the industrial work is conduit , raceway and pulling wire.

Again...there are piles of great journeyman electricians but they are not taught to be maintenance electricians.

Dont know of any sane company that would allow a walk in from the hall to touch any automation.  :lol: