Real World MPG

Slow Joe

No B.S real world numbers any make any model reasonably current platforms, for me non turbo 1100 Regular fuel Meow mid to upper teens never more not what I consider stellar but way better than my two smoke days of yesteryear.Cheap ass Joe

I do not really calculate my fuel, just keep track of the mileage between full ups, but my current sled will get about 130 miles to the tank on average....just depends on the riding conditions.

Rule is never pass a gas station and rather not go more than 100 miles on a tank between fill ups.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

I used to always calculate my sled's mileage, to know the range.  The new ones have become so miserly though, I haven't bothered. 

I'll check next time out, it is worth noting here. 

Would like to know about the 1200 Doos I have never rode with one in the group on a long haul are they reg fuel runners.

My last 2 were quite good, but I never calculated actual mpg.  Will do, next time out. 

They technically run on 87 fuel, but on the fuel cap it states "use 91 octane if fuel has ethanol in it".  Not sure if I understand that one..... but lots of guys run 87 with no issues.  

13 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

My last 2 were quite good, but I never calculated actual mpg.  Will do, next time out. 

They technically run on 87 fuel, but on the fuel cap it states "use 91 octane if fuel has ethanol in it".  Not sure if I understand that one..... but lots of guys run 87 with no issues.  

My understanding is the ethanol based fuels burn a bit leaner I suppose if you were spending long periods of time on the loud handle lake runnin or Grand Ouvert in the La belle Province it might matter more like Bombi covering their butts.

Edited by Slow Joe

Could be, but then why not just say "use non ethanol fuel"?  Or "91 octane only", if they're ok with ethanolized 91.  :)  87 non-ethanol is not easy to find. 

Because it will still be leaner if the 91 is an ethanol blend also, just has a higher anti-knock index number. 

Edited by Puzzleboy

Lol, true enough.  Still depends on the retailer.  Some 91 still has it, unfortunately.  Shell, Ultramar, and others are typically ethanol free 91.  My dad gets ethanol-free 87 at Essos in southern Ontario for his airplane, but I haven't seen it much north of Niagara. 

Just now, Slow Joe said:

True but I thought that the higher octane such as 91 did not contain ethanol at the price you should think it would be coming out like Goldslager.Joe

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Slow Joe said:

Would like to know about the 1200 Doos I have never rode with one in the group on a long haul are they reg fuel runners.

Easy 200 km on a tank, last year in Gaspie it was pushed to 240 km between fills and it took 36 liters to fill.

My new 800 assault it getting dry around 200.

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

900 ace and 600 etec are the best around and will push 300 km. On that same Gaspie ride the wife's 900 took 30 or 31 liters at 240 km

Thats stout mileage for sure wow that 900 is it a regular fuel machine,long track or short,two or three cylinder?

14 hours ago, Slow Joe said:

True but I thought that the higher octane such as 91 did not contain ethanol at the price you should think it would be coming out like Goldslager.Joe

Not all high test fuel is Ethanol free. Like Puzzle mentioned, Ultramar and Shell are, and I'll also add Costco high test is too. I have heard, so be careful, certain gas stations; maybe the ones way north, differ from ones south as I have heard that  people purchasing Ultramar high test have found ethanol in the gas as it reads that on the pumps.

Petro Canada's high test, which was Sunoco's Gold 94, IS NOT ethanol free as it can contain up to 10% as well.

Speaking of MPG, my Vector gets anywhere from 18 MPG to 22-23 MPG, which is great, imo, considering it is a carbed 973 CC engine. I have heard the new fuelies, or non carbed models don't get as good as the older carbed versions. My son's 95 XLT 600 triple carbed also gets phenomenal MPG. Fuel issues/concerns running both sleds are never a concern for me as I know I am good to go an will be one the last guys looking for fuel

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Slow Joe said:

Thats stout mileage for sure wow that 900 is it a regular fuel machine,long track or short,two or three cylinder?

900 ace is a 3 cylinder four stroke. 600 etec is 2 cylinder, 2 stroke both get very similar mileage and will go over 300km with some gas to spare. 600 when pushed( Cochrane speeds) will run equal with the 800 etec. About240-260 on a tank.

Both sleds run regular fuel.

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

My 15 turbo was Getting 13-15 mpg before I had it tuned. Haven’t put enough miles on it to know what it gets now but it’s supposed to be better (though I’m restricted to Premium fuel now).

Her 12 Vector gets 15-16 mpg. But her range is limited by the 35 L tank.