Dryer transition duct

Kev144

Bought a new whirlpool dryer and curious any recommendations on the duct?  Seems simple. Always used the flexibile foil.  The install for this says not to use it.  Rigid or semi Rigid. I just have a hard time finding some that dont have terrible reviews.  

My washer is in a tight closet and the vent to outside is quite close to the dryer vent.  

Any thoughts? :bc: 

16 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

Bought a new whirlpool dryer and curious any recommendations on the duct?  Seems simple. Always used the flexibile foil.  The install for this says not to use it.  Rigid or semi Rigid. I just have a hard time finding some that dont have terrible reviews.  

My washer is in a tight closet and the vent to outside is quite close to the dryer vent.  

Any thoughts? :bc: 

what difference could it possibly make?  its an exhaust 

Isn't this like "use our oil only"  :dunno:  

12 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

how? if paper burns at 470'F what could set on fire :dunno:   

If you ask a plumber about using anything other than copper he would say there isn't anything else

Drier lint??

Its not the foil they are worried about burning up.

4 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Drier lint??

Its not the foil they are worried about burning up.

I thought it was obvious.  I guess I have to explain better next time. :bc: 

Foil type collects lint much more than others 

18 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

how? if paper burns at 470'F what could set on fire :dunno:   

If you ask a plumber about using anything other than copper he would say there isn't anything else

I opened up my dryer about a couple of years ago to find it just full of lint, the exhaust was clean.  If any got onto the heating element it would have caught on fire.

4 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

I thought it was obvious.  I guess I have to explain better next time. :bc: 

Foil type collects lint much more than others 

I thought so also but......

What temp do rolling papers burn at?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I opened up my dryer about a couple of years ago to find it just full of lint, the exhaust was clean.  If any got onto the heating element it would have caught on fire.

thanks 02sled :lol:   genius 

again nothing to do with the vent 

2 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

no kidding, ,that is the point here.  if you dryer vent is clear it should matter on the vent type 

Well the flexibile foil type tends to collect more lint than the others :dunno: 

Just now, Kev144 said:

Well the flexibile foil type tends to collect more lint than the others :dunno: 

yea it most likely will, dryer vent cleaning should be a regular cleaning task.

Sharp 90' turns also collect more lint 

Lint catcher should be cleaned every time you use the dryer - this give better air flow leaving less chance of lint in the vent tube 

Just now, Usedtoskidoo said:

use rigid and keep flex to a transition only

I have Rigid already but for the transition I have my old flex but may try a semi Rigid for the transition or maybe a periscope as it's so close to the duct 

1 hour ago, 1trailmaker said:

no kidding, ,that is the point here.  if you dryer vent is clear it should matter on the vent type 

Hhhhhmmm.... what could possibly make a dryer vent not "clear" ? Ribbed venting maybe ?? Loops, kinks or bends in flexible ducting ???

26 minutes ago, Tinker said:

Hhhhhmmm.... what could possibly make a dryer vent not "clear" ? Ribbed venting maybe ?? Loops, kinks or bends in flexible ducting ???

are you suggesting you don't have to check or clean a rigid vent?  sorry Tinker you are not correct. and there are many reasons a vent gets clogged. 

The question was why do I HAVE TO USE RIGID venting,  YOU DON"T 

I assume like 90% of dryer vents, its right behind the dryer in a spot very hard to get at, hooking up rigid vent pipe is a hope in hell.  

Obviously a corrugated pipe is more prone to lint buildup, Fail. 

And I've never found rigid ducts a "hope in hell".  Once it's cut to size, just jockey the dryer back into position.

Try it when you're not stoned.  Might make it a bit easier. 

2 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

yea it most likely will, dryer vent cleaning should be a regular cleaning task.

Sharp 90' turns also collect more lint 

Lint catcher should be cleaned every time you use the dryer - this give better air flow leaving less chance of lint in the vent tube 

Thanks 02 Fail.

Did your friend have a dryer vent pipe installation company?

2 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Rigid.  Smoother interior, and often easier to install.

I agree with you but I don't think I can make Rigid work.  Dryer vent is almost the same height as the vent outside but is over about 6"

Yeah, that might be a trick.  You mentioned "closet".  Are you in a condo, or second floor laundry room, etc.?  Limited access from the sides, etc.? 

I had something similar one time, and still made a rigid work.  If you can construct a rigid pipe with exactly the right length, offset (to suit it's final position) etc., you can screw it to the dryer flange so it maintains it's position. 
Then walk the dryer back into place.  You can bevel/chamfer/crush the end of the one pipe slightly to more easily engage with the other. 

Or just use flex, and inspect/clean more often.  :)