Lasik

Pete Z

"Time stands still for no man" - truer words have seldom been penned. To my dismay but not surprise I am no exception. My eyes are showing their age and I have come to terms with the fact that it I am dealing with increasing near-sightedness. Driving at night is becoming a chore and I certainly owe it to the deer and geese this fall to do something about it. Not to mention that I  would like to get involved in my club's two-gun competitions to see how I like that and I figure it would be helpful to see better than I do. So I have been weighing my options, those being either corrective lenses or laser eye surgery. I know two guys that have had the surgery with mixed results, but overall they are happy. I would love to hear from anyone else that has personally undergone lasik. Where did you go, how much correction was required,  did it work, etc? Any input would be appreciated. 

my girlfriend got it done in stoney creek a year ago.  she was near sighted and has been great for her.  no touch up yet or anything.  longer waiting to get it done than actually getting it done.  

21 hours ago, Pete Z said:

"Time stands still for no man" - truer words have seldom been penned. To my dismay but not surprise I am no exception. My eyes are showing their age and I have come to terms with the fact that it I am dealing with increasing near-sightedness. Driving at night is becoming a chore and I certainly owe it to the deer and geese this fall to do something about it. Not to mention that I  would like to get involved in my club's two-gun competitions to see how I like that and I figure it would be helpful to see better than I do. So I have been weighing my options, those being either corrective lenses or laser eye surgery. I know two guys that have had the surgery with mixed results, but overall they are happy. I would love to hear from anyone else that has personally undergone lasik. Where did you go, how much correction was required,  did it work, etc? Any input would be appreciated. 

I got my eyes lasered close to 20 years ago in London Ontario (can't remember the name of the company). I was about 45 years old at the time and having trouble reading road signs at night at least that was my excuse. The real reason was that I just couldn't keep my glasses from fogging when riding the sled. Should have done it sooner. My eyesight continues to test 20/20. The only downside is having to use reading glasses (1.25) for the last 12 years or so. Go for it. You will wish you had done it sooner.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I got my eyes lasered close to 20 years ago in London Ontario (can't remember the name of the company). I was about 45 years old at the time and having trouble reading road signs at night at least that was my excuse. The real reason was that I just couldn't keep my glasses from fogging when riding the sled. Should have done it sooner. My eyesight continues to test 20/20. The only downside is having to use reading glasses (1.25) for the last 12 years or so. Go for it. You will wish you had done it sooner.

The one friend of mine that had it done was into the reading glasses shortly after the lasik. The other guy is 100% all around so far. Right now I can read the smallest of print with zero issues, but I am OK with that ability being diminished somewhat by the laser surgery if that is the trade-off. I think that I will book a consultation and go from there.  Thanks for the input. 

2 hours ago, Kev144 said:

my girlfriend got it done in stoney creek a year ago.  she was near sighted and has been great for her.  no touch up yet or anything.  longer waiting to get it done than actually getting it done.  

If you don't mind me asking, which place did she go to and roughly what was the cost?

Just now, Pete Z said:

If you don't mind me asking, which place did she go to and roughly what was the cost?

she went to i think lasik md in stoney creek.  They had a highly rated doctor.  PRice of course varies by your prescription but it was about 4k total and that included touch ups til 75.  she had a bad eye sight.  she'd recommend to anyone.  I'd get it done if i had the money.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kev144 said:

she went to i think lasik md in stoney creek.  They had a highly rated doctor.  PRice of course varies by your prescription but it was about 4k total and that included touch ups til 75.  she had a bad eye sight.  she'd recommend to anyone.  I'd get it done if i had the money.  

Thanks. Good info.

My sil got it done 8 yrs ago....shes back wearing glasses....as well as a few other people i know who had it done 10+ yrs ago....a few others have had good luck....ive been tossing the idea around as well...only need glasses to drive though.

22 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

Now go out and get yourself some big black frames
With the glass so dark they won't even know your name
And the choice is up to you cause they come in two classes
Rhinestone shades or cheap sunglasses

you bearded hippy.....ZZ Top.  That was a few years ago...

20 minutes ago, DAVE said:

My sil got it done 8 yrs ago....shes back wearing glasses....as well as a few other people i know who had it done 10+ yrs ago....a few others have had good luck....ive been tossing the idea around as well...only need glasses to drive though.

I find the same thing as people age their eyes still do no matter what, so eventually you will need glasses again.  I' m lucking as only reading is blurry my arms are too short now lol Other than that my eye sight is perfect still 

I would go glasses

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:37 PM, Pete Z said:

You are to young.  Wait until 50.  My close vision started dropping off when I was 40, the distance at 45.  I wear contacts to correct distance and cheaters for reading. Contacts work great for me shooting and hunting.   In couple years I will be 60 and will likely go for evil Laser surgery then.  I have four friends that had them done in their 40's all need redoing.

Edited by Poncho

On 1/31/2018 at 8:55 PM, ArcticCrusher said:

My wife had it done and it worked out well for her.  It was about 4500 and her insurance picked up about 500 or so.

She was both near and far sighted, they only corrected one and I'm not really sure which one.:lol:

I think you can only correct near sighted 

Just now, 1trailmaker said:

I find the same thing as people age their eyes still do no matter what, so eventually you will need glasses again.  I' m lucking as only reading is blurry my arms are too short now lol Other than that my eye sight is perfect still 

I would go glasses

Well you’ll never get glaucoma........

:)

• Like 1

My wife had laser surgery about 15 years ago.  She was at the point of laser surgery or no drivers license even with glasses. 

In the last couple of years she has started wearing glasses again.  But she was an extreme case and had to have it.  

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Sksman said:

My wife had laser surgery about 15 years ago.  She was at the point of laser surgery or no drivers license even with glasses. 

In the last couple of years she has started wearing glasses again.  But she was an extreme case and had to have it.  

Looking at you all these years takes its toll on the eyes  I see :lol: 

My wife had hers done just over a year ago.  Without glasses or contacts she could barely see beyond 2-3ft.  She now has crisp clear distance vison  Close up (reading) did suffer somewhat.  For her, that minor trade off is/was worth it.  Lasik MD in Kingston.  Around the $4500 mark and zero regrets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd still wait until you quit the excessive drinking.  You might find your vision improves quite a bit on it's own. 

15 hours ago, Pete Z said:

The one friend of mine that had it done was into the reading glasses shortly after the lasik. The other guy is 100% all around so far. Right now I can read the smallest of print with zero issues, but I am OK with that ability being diminished somewhat by the laser surgery if that is the trade-off. I think that I will book a consultation and go from there.  Thanks for the input. 

20 hours ago, Sksman said:

8 hours ago, odot1 said:

My wife had hers done just over a year ago.  Without glasses or contacts she could barely see beyond 2-3ft.  She now has crisp clear distance vison  Close up (reading) did suffer somewhat.  For her, that minor trade off is/was worth it.  Lasik MD in Kingston.  Around the $4500 mark and zero regrets.

Thanks for the replies.  My wife would like to get lasik but is hesitant because she thinks that it wouldn't benefit her due to the strength of her prescription. Part of the reason I am thinking about doing it is to put her mind at ease about the procedure and your wive's experiences validate the results she could expect. Thanks again to both of you. 

• Like 1