*** OFFICIAL Doug Ford thread ***

Puzzleboy

19 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

Slogan Man created the uproar about sex-ed and won on that and maybe 3 other slogans - no one cared before Doug said something

Math is hard to understand for many (non Asian lol)  people, it has been and always will be.  There is no magic cure

New math is hard to understand.  The Liberal ciriculum forced new math on our children.   

What was wrong with the old math other then a career educator like Wynne wanted to leave their mark on society.  Well they did.  Kids who cannot comprehend simple math because we cant just teach it the way most of us learned.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

New math is hard to understand.  The Liberal ciriculum forced new math on our children.   

What was wrong with the old math other then a career educator like Wynne wanted to leave their mark on society.  Well they did.  Kids who cannot comprehend simple math because we cant just teach it the way most of us learned.

link to this new math

Math marks have been low since the beginning of education 

Re: Deer at HMCS York. 

Toronto Animal Services says that the deer should be allowed to leave the property via the gated entrance.

No mention if the MNR was contacted.

If that happens, 5 bucks says the deer winds up as roadkill on Lakeshore Blvd.

12 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

link to this new math

Math marks have been low since the beginning of education 

Look up the text book.  

My daughter just finished gr 10.  

Her math problems had to be solved a different way then I did them.

she was completely confused and I could show her old way but then even if she had right answer she would have to show the correct steps which were confusing to me also. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sksman said:

Look up the text book.  

she was completely confused and I could show her old way but then even if she had right answer she would have to show the correct steps which were confusing to me also. 

You said Wynne made up some new math :dunno:  

you are talking about common core which has been around for a long time.  Matter of fact when WE all complain that the cashier can't do change in their head, this is NEW MATH which some of us have been doing for decades will help with that - you still need to know basic adding and subtracting skill

good example

EkGPU.jpg

I would do this in my head this way

20 x 36 = 720

4 v 36 = 144

= 864 

Understanding place holders will help people in the end, you should be able to solve something other than base10 

98 x 3

3 v 100 = 300

3 x (-2 )= -6

= 294

maybe more coders will come of this understanding why FF = 256

Yes most parents can't do change in their head just like kids 

Edited by 1trailmaker

37 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

2019 will be interesting 

IF Andrew comes out with NO CARBON TAX and no plan other than that (like Doug and others) it may not play that well..... could backfire

If Trudeau insists on Carbon Pricing it play well on the environment - if he makes it mandatory before the election he might lose just on that

What remains to be seen now is if Trudeau will follow the lead of his many predecessors who believed that national unity is a prime minister’s primary responsibility. Will he back off his divisive and increasingly unpopular carbon tax? Or will he make fighting the provinces to force through a carbon tax his election issue for 2019?

how exciting :lol: 

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

Look up the text book.  

by the way most parents ( 90% ) can't do grade 10 math problems, if you can that is pretty good 

Metric was BAD BAD BAD but ended up we have he best system combined with Imperial - this is the same thing with math 

B1JU3fuIIAA3SvE.jpg

I would do it this way

27 + 3 = 30

30 + 20 = 50

50 +  4 = 54

answer 27 

seems simple to me - the reason people can't do math in their head is due to the CARRY PROCESS without pencil and paper they can't preform the learned algorithm 

6 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

B1JU3fuIIAA3SvE.jpg

I would do it this way

27 + 3 = 30

30 + 20 = 50

50 +  4 = 54

answer 27 

seems simple to me - the reason people can't do math in their head is due to the CARRY PROCESS without pencil and paper they can't preform the learned algorithm 

WTF?

The curriculum was changed to help the girls.

I laugh at the cashiers trying to do math in their head.

Edited by ArcticCrusher

3 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

You said Wynne made up some new math :dunno:  

you are talking about common core which has been around for a long time.  Matter of fact when WE all complain that the cashier can't do change in their head, this is NEW MATH which some of us have been doing for decades will help with that - you still need to know basic adding and subtracting skill

good example

EkGPU.jpg

I would do this in my head this way

20 x 36 = 720

4 v 36 = 144

= 864 

Understanding place holders will help people in the end, you should be able to solve something other than base10 

98 x 3

3 v 100 = 300

3 x (-2 )= -6

= 294

maybe more coders will come of this understanding why FF = 256

Yes most parents can't do change in their head just like kids 

Missed this before.

As a signed int it gets displayed as -1 or 11111111.

Does mess a few when expecting to see 256.:lol:

15 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Missed this before.

As a signed int it gets displayed as -1 or 11111111.

Does mess a few when expecting to see 256.:lol:

128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1

1      1    1    1  1 1 1 1 

= 255

10000000 = 256

Edited by 1trailmaker

28 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1

1      1    1    1  1 1 1 1 

= 255

10000000 = 256

LOL, Good one.

You know people think computers are perfect when it comes to math but in 32 bit real calculations, huge errors are introduced when small numbers are added to large ie over 16 bit max 

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I laugh at the cashiers trying to do math in their head.

I stop for lunch at Harvey's, place my order with the young girl at the counter.

She says "That will be $13.52"

I hand her $13.50.

She says "But sir, the amount is $13.52." And she holds out her hand.

I say " But its going to round back." She looks at me confused with her hand still out.

Geeesus. I hand her a dime. She punches in $13.60 and puts the money away in the till then checks the screen to see what she needs to give for change, she fishes out the dime from the till and hands it back to me. All smiles.

A couple of weeks ago, the cashier at the LCBO refused to take my $100 bill because he said he'd never seen a paper one before and wasn't sure if it was legal currency.

12 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I stop for lunch at Harvey's, place my order with the young girl at the counter.

I hand her $13.50.

I say " But its going to round back." She looks at me confused with her hand still out.

Geeesus. I hand her a dime. She punches in $13.60 and puts the money away in the till then checks the screen to see what she needs to give for change, she fishes out the dime from the till and hands it back to me. All smiles.

A couple of weeks ago, the cashier at the LCBO refused to take my $100 bill because he said he'd never seen a paper one before and wasn't sure if it was legal currency.

Think it was Dairy Queen back when that started out that didn't want to play ball and tried to get that extra 3 cents.:lol:

Told to owner to go fuck himself after the order.:lol:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I hand her $13.50.

SMH

lots of protesting at FORD for sex ed - way bigger and whiter than against it :lol: 

It was more detailed than the one it replaced, which is a key reason it was six times as long. It was full of sample questions and answers, so teachers — very few of whom likely got into the business because they were eager to go on about penises to six year olds — would be better equipped to deal with students’ inquiries. It was blunt but clinical.

It didn’t teach young children how to consent to sex. It introduced early the importance of respecting boundaries other people set, in numerous ways. It laid groundwork for understanding that no means no when it comes to sex by talking about consent in terms of schoolyard play and bullying behaviour.

It didn’t tell kids to question their own gender identities. It told them that some people in their world do and you can’t make fun of them. Or anybody, in fact, for who they or their parents are.

It didn’t tell them that anal sex is delightful and here’s how you do it, it told them that you can catch diseases from it.  NO MATTER HOW MUCH MOMO LIKES IT 

It didn’t urge them to override their own discomforts by “making a sexual plan and sticking to it,” it told them to consider limits when they’re thinking clearly.

5 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

LOL, Good one.

You know people think computers are perfect when it comes to math but in 32 bit real calculations, huge errors are introduced when small numbers are added to large ie over 16 bit max 

02SLED must have one big computer 10 times the bits, so many mistakes and just plain wrong answers :lol: