Sturgeon Lake Ice fatality

Pt3189

No idea about Sturgeon, but I am kinda surprised that there has been so little in the news about the girl killed on Six Mile last weekend.  Sounds like she was overdriving her headlight and hit shore, but that is just speculation on my part.

37 minutes ago, Pt3189 said:

http://bayview-news.com/2018/01/opp-say-man-missing-as-snowmobiles-go-into-sturgeon-lake.html/

the included video gives a good indication that area was unsafe. I hate it when this happens.everytime.

Unsafe??

WTF one man was picked up by a passing boat.  

Am i reading the wrong stories?

They show a picture of a large OPP boat.  

That implies very open water and not a case of weak ice. 

4 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Unsafe??

WTF one man was picked up by a passing boat.  

Am i reading the wrong stories?

They show a picture of a large OPP boat.  

That implies very open water and not a case of weak ice. 

Wrong story.  But there was a lot of open water, sad.

http://bayview-news.com/2017/10/2-missing-on-sturgeon-lake-in-overnight-canoeing-mishap.html/

6 hours ago, Pete Z said:

No idea about Sturgeon, but I am kinda surprised that there has been so little in the news about the girl killed on Six Mile last weekend.  Sounds like she was overdriving her headlight and hit shore, but that is just speculation on my part.

https://www.muskokaregion.com/community-story/8075587-muskoka-grieves-the-death-of-katie-courtnage-in-snowmobile-accident/

20 minutes ago, Pete Z said:

One of my co-workers knew her. Apparently she had just picked up a used 800 XP a week or so prior. 

Any idea what her experience level was at? I would assume, being from that area that this wasn't her first snowmobile or ride, but I am curious just the same. 

2 hours ago, irv said:

Any idea what her experience level was at? I would assume, being from that area that this wasn't her first snowmobile or ride, but I am curious just the same. 

No idea. Like you I would assume that she knew how to ride. However it's easy enough to run up on shore way too fast at night. I have done it myself and were it not for me very quickly  picking a good line it could've easily ended badly.   

Says there was another snowmobile travelling with her; that person must have a good idea what happened.  Night time on any lake, you gotta know where you are, the lake conditions, and where you're going. 

24, unreal.  :(

Edited by Puzzleboy