NASCAR 2016

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

That's great. But other than possibly one race a year, they have no television coverage.

The general public can not relate to those weird looking winged sprint cars running around on dirt.

I'm lucky enough to live in an area I can see them in person every weekend. 

3 minutes ago, Legend said:

Both. IRA, which is basically same rules as World of Outlaws, is all over here. They put on a helluva show.  800+hp, 1300lbs. 

Wisconsin.

Sprints are kind of an up and down thing here in MN.  When my dad was racing in the 90's, there were a bunch.  Not so much anymore.  A bunch of UMSS sprints are based in the Twin Cities area though, but a lot of the out state guys aren't racing anymore.  

15 minutes ago, Legend said:

Both. IRA, which is basically same rules as World of Outlaws, is all over here. They put on a helluva show.  800+hp, 1300lbs. 

Wisconsin.

Sweet!

10 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Sprints are kind of an up and down thing here in MN.  When my dad was racing in the 90's, there were a bunch.  Not so much anymore.  A bunch of UMSS sprints are based in the Twin Cities area though, but a lot of the out state guys aren't racing anymore.  

Yeah I'm in SE WI, but we don't get many MN guys over here. There is a lot of sprint guys on the eastern half of state. 

Dirt LAte models are like you describe here. In the 90s it seemed like they were everywhere. Now, they are only at some tracks. 

All though car counts are down everywhere here. Every single asphalt track here is hurting bad. All dirt tracks are down too, though some of the good tracks are surviving. 

I was too young for the 80s, but I think the 90s was probably the golden era for local car racing. At least from a crowd and car count perspective. Stands always full, 30+ cars in every division.

9 hours ago, Legend said:

Yeah I'm in SE WI, but we don't get many MN guys over here. There is a lot of sprint guys on the eastern half of state. 

Dirt LAte models are like you describe here. In the 90s it seemed like they were everywhere. Now, they are only at some tracks. 

All though car counts are down everywhere here. Every single asphalt track here is hurting bad. All dirt tracks are down too, though some of the good tracks are surviving. 

I was too young for the 80s, but I think the 90s was probably the golden era for local car racing. At least from a crowd and car count perspective. Stands always full, 30+ cars in every division.

When my dad was racing, you could race a sprinter for a living and be racing 4-5 nights a week for $10k+ each of those nights, all summer long.  My uncle used to race dirt late models 3-4 nights a week too.  

The cost of those cars are killing the classes. 

Who can afford $75,000+ for a late model or even more for a 410 sprinter?

There use to be some great late model series in the midwest and they rarely completed for cars.  Now there are 2 in MN/ND that schedule around one another and maybe 3-4 dozen guys total that travel a bunch for those races and maybe come to half of them.  

43 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

Track is dry and the green flag just dropped....there are  3 people in the stands.

Tough for local tracks to keep the lights on, I can't see how the drag strips or NASCAR does it with the lower series.

Edited by racinfarmer

• Platinum Contributing Member

Larson, Jones, Busch.

Bristol and high line is the fast way around. Doesn't seem right.

Amazing how much faster the top cars are compared to the field fillers.